Pocket light Vs keychain light?

nitebrite

Enlightened
I take it they are not the same thing? What will comfortably fit in loose jeans highest lumens for longest time possible? Honestly for instance I find the Fury to be too large. Not sure what all is out there. Perhaps something rechargeable? Want very god quality but does not have to be custom. Thanks

tokaji

Newly Enlightened
I also find my Fury p2x very large for my pocket and even my e2l-a. I like to carry 2xAAA lights, because they long enough to stay in one place in my pocket. Tried 1xAAA lights, but they are too small, and go onto orbit around in my pocket, not to mention if they are twisty then they will switch on randomly or untwist themselves.

nitebrite

Enlightened
Okay, Don't laugh! How about MAG PRO 2xAAA pushing nearly 300Lm. It seems as big as the e2D though. I also do not know how their shiny anodizing holds up? I do not dislike MAG now that they nearly got with 2018. It is okay. It was honestly what I liked in a 2xAAA. Not joking.

tokaji

Newly Enlightened
Well, I did not hear about the magpro 2xaaa, only the 2xaa pro, but I have the 84 lumen minimag 2xaaa. The anodizing is weaker compared to Surefire. I also have a 2xAA minimag (not the pro version, but the four mode version), it is too heavy for me to carry it in my pocket. I feel it is there at every step. It is also unreliable, because of its new switch design. These are all pocket lights, I think. For the keychain there are Surefire Sidekick. It puts out 300 lumen and it is rechargable.

nitebrite

Enlightened
Thanks. Glad I did not go buy that. Maybe they will never be like Surefire. I did not like Titan Plus. will check out sidekick.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Main pocket carry is a 1xCR123a SF E1L with a tailstand shrouded-tailcap, and the keychain light (mainly to provide enough light to change the battery on the E1L in complete darkness) is a Peak LED Solutions aluminum 1xAAA Baltic with the longest-running output.

nitebrite

Enlightened
I would have thought the Peak is about as brite as the Surefire E1L? My E1L is like maybe 80 Lumens? That is a god idea though but I do not know where I put the 1xCR123A tubes. I was actually just looking at Peak too. It is not that bright? Seems redundant but I have no clue. The Olight is extremely bright but impractical. Much too hot, gobbles battery. I only want like 150Lm in pocket. More and the lights cook. 1xCR123 is the right size though.

tokaji

Newly Enlightened
I also have an E1L, but it is still too wide for me to be in my pocket. One more thing on the Maglite anodizing: it holds up pretty well, if it sits alone in the pocket (without coins and keys).

chainsolid

Newly Enlightened
Me Pocket light, E1L change Tailcap and New lamp module It OK for my Pocket when i go to work or Meeting with the customer I, Keep my flashlight at Back left men's trousers
E1L around 250-300 Lumens ok for EDC

tokaji

Newly Enlightened
What kind of head it is

Me Pocket light, E1L change Tailcap and New lamp module It OK for my Pocket when i go to work or Meeting with the customer I, Keep my flashlight at Back left men's trousers
E1L around 250-300 Lumens ok for EDC

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Maglite Solitaire is barely noticeable in the front pocket. I carried one loose in the front pocket with keys and pocket knife for six months or more without issues of turning on or unscrewing unintentionally and functioning fine.

The blue anodizing definitely got scuffed up, but that doesn't matter to me.

Nice tint and general purpose beam pattern.

The 1AAA that I carry in my shirt pocket is the Factor Equipment Mizpah 130, which has an exquisite two way clip.

I carry the Manker E02, which is a 1AAA right angle light, clipped at the top of the back pocket.

I carry a 2AAA Country Trails adjustable focus light clipped inside my shirt pocket.

The Nightcore TIP is a nice pocket light or key ring light.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
For me a a pocket light uses 17670 although I do have a couple of single AA/14500 lights that I'll carry. For keychain lights I've always gone with AAA as I don't like coin cells... though with all the new micro usb keychainlights comimg out I could change my mind.

Once a light steps up to 18650 size I don't pocket it and instead use a belt sheath which I'm actually fond of.

nitebrite

Enlightened
You Guy's have some big pockets. I just wear Wrangler Relaxed fit. Not much into fashion at my age plus I am a Rancher by trade. No reason to trash selvedge in 3 months. Typical HillBilly lol. A 17670 is a big light! You carry a blade too?

What I wanted to know from this post is if people are carrying knives that are larger than their flashlight in their pocket. All the knife/flashlight pic threads everyone has a small flashlight and larger knife. I figured those were "posed" shots which is what I seem to be finding out here.

In my Right front pocket: Olight S1 Baton TI, Leatherman squirt PS4, Wiliam Henry B09. My point is I really want to switch to a Benchmade Gold Class that is 3.4" blade. It would then be the largest thing in my pocket. Luckily it does not weigh much, 1.8 OZ. I really need the bigger knife on me but can really feel it in pocket. I have no idea how you folks do not feel all that. I guess I could go even bigger blade in sheath but I really dislike sheaths.

It seems the truth is peoples lights are equal to or larger than their knives. those pictures must be "staged". You can look at the threads I am speaking of.

pc_light

Enlightened
Thanks. Glad I did not go buy that. Maybe they will never be like Surefire. I did not like Titan Plus. will check out sidekick.
Was going to recommend the recently released Olight i3T, it's small (AAA), relatively bright (2-modes only) and forward clicky. Other than the Titan Plus being twisty, not sure if i3T would work for you then.

The SF Sidekick is s nice pocket light. Slightly larger then AAA but lightweight enough to disappear in jean pockets. The irregular shap actually helps me to distinguish between pocket knife and typical AA/AAA tubular light in pocket.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
I have no idea how you folks do not feel all that. I guess I could go even bigger blade in sheath but I really dislike sheaths.

Oh now wait a second I didn't say I don't feel it! I've had my pockets full of junk for most of my life so I don't mind it but it feel it...

I usually wear lee dungarees and it seems like the pockets change each time I go to buy new ones... none of the company's seem to be consistent with the fit of clothing.

I dont think an E2e is all that big for pocket carry but if I carry a 6P it goes in a sheath. I don't mind a sheath or holster if I carry a fixed blade it's in a IWB sheath.

ETA: I just realised we've got two threads going here and I may be mixing them up

Last edited:

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I take it they are not the same thing? What will comfortably fit in loose jeans highest lumens for longest time possible? Honestly for instance I find the Fury to be too large. Not sure what all is out there. Perhaps something rechargeable? Want very god quality but does not have to be custom. Thanks

Zebralight SC64w for the largest light I will pocket carry. And I'm not a fan of large lights, I'm a small and powerful light guy. Great quality for the price. Excellent regulation of levels and one of the better UIs out there.

ChattanoogaPhil

Newly Enlightened
T+ easily fits and carries unnoticed in the watch pocket of blue jeans. IMO, it's too heavy for a keychain light.

UO2cFRn.jpg

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently updated my edc keychain light from a fenix lodce to a stainless worm and couldn't be happier. Well if it was a neutral xpg3 I guess I'd be happier but for the price I'm still very happy. Plenty bright on high mode, good mode separations and a nicely balanced beam pattern.

I like it (both, actually) significantly more than the Surefire Titan I purchased and returned. Titan flickered and failed to change modes plus an overall poor build quality.

Last edited:

tokaji

Newly Enlightened
Could you please tell me more about what you mean on the Titan's poor build quality?

Recently updated my edc keychain light from a fenix lodce to a stainless worm and couldn't be happier. Well if it was a neutral xpg3 I guess I'd be happier but for the price I'm still very happy. Plenty bright on high mode, good mode separations and a nicely balanced beam pattern.

I like it (both, actually) significantly more than the Surefire Titan I purchased and returned. Titan flickered and failed to change modes plus an overall poor build quality.