Ray-O-Vac Flashlight, circa 1925

Gandalf

Enlightened
In addition to my never ending quest for the best and the brightest
grin.gif
(why else would I buy an M6?) I'm also interested in antique flashlights. For the princely sum of $13.56, I recently purchased, via ebay, an antique Ray-O-Vac flashlight. This is a really interesting bit of history. It dates to the mid 1920's, by markings, and the fact that the lens is a very thick, domed, magnifying piece of glass. What makes this flashlight interesting is it is marked 'pure copper'. And it is. Originally, it had a coat of clear lacquer(sp?) on it. The barrel has long shallow ribs, and the lacquer had worn off the high spots, and the copper was very dull. The lacquer in the grooved had yellowed, making the flashlight look pretty ugly. Hence, the low price. But, it's in perfect operating condition, down to it's screw in bulb, marked 'China'. I kinda doubt that's original
blush.gif

Since this is my toy, now, I decided to do what you aren't supposed to do to an antique flashlight: I decided to 'restore' it. OK, I just wanted to make it look nicer. A trip downstairs to my workshop, where my tripoli buffing wheel lives (you just know this is coming... :eek
smile.gif
And I had removed all traces of the yellowed lacquer. The little 5 1/2" flashlight now looks like a new penny. It's really pretty. There is hardly a tiny dent in this little gem. I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to use to keep it bright; a synthetic clear lacquer seems likely, although I'm not sure how to get it on without brushstrokes.
But what you are really wondering is: how does it work. In a word: awful! I know the older bulbs were larger, at least double the diameter of a current 2 cell screw in ones, but that thick glass spreads the light like you wouldn't believe! At a distance of about 12" from a wall, it puts out a circle of light about 20" in diameter. Larger distances give larger areas, as you would expect. So I don't know who is the rocket scientist that designed and built this thing, but it is a *really* bad design! Shine it across a room, and it looks about the same amount of light as you would get from a candle
rolleyes.gif

Damn! A one candle power flashlight! Probably visable for about 1/3 mile or so.
But I imagine it now looks pretty much like it did when it was new: really neat! Pure copper is much more attractive, to me, at least, than brass. Try to imagine a small, art deco flashlight that looks like a new penny.
Strange thing is, *all* flashlights from this era had the magnafying lens. This flashlight has a rather badly tarnished reflector, but the magnifying lens disperses the light with amazing efficiency, it makes little difference. What were they thinking???
confused.gif
Batteries must have been relatively expensive in the 20's, with a short useful life, and relatively short shelf life too. OTOH, this light would be *good* to read by. Anyone who has tried to read by the light of a Surefire 6P knows what I'm talking about! Strange thing is, these lights, with the magnafying lenses, were available in 2 C cell (like mine), 2 D cell, and 3 D cell sizes. Now, I have to wonder: was the 3 D cell type really any brighter?? Or did they just have longer battery life? Probably never know the answer to that. Another curious fact: flashlights that look just like mine were available with the body made out of cardboard. Hard to believe, but true. Metal end caps held on by rivets, with threads for the head and tail caps. Probably cost less than one made out of pure copper
wink.gif
But they worked the same! And a final bit of antique flashlight history trivia: Winchester was a pretty big name in flashlights back then. I've seen pictures of dozens of different models. Winchester's name was also on flashlight bulbs and batteries, as well.
Last point: can anyone think of anything other than a flashlight, in common use in 1925, that used batteries? I can't. Not with what the cost of batteries must have been back then. I remember reading that after the electric light bulb was perfected enough to compete with gas lights (and competition was fierce, back in the early days of electric lights) the next item that used electricity was a small electric space heater, that was very prone to cause fires, bith from melted iron heating elements, and by overloading wires. Electricity must have been very expensive in the early days; think how much it must have cost to run an electric space heater! But I can't think what was the next invention to use dry cell batteries, after the flashlight. (Do I get a star for this post?
grin.gif
)

D

**DONOTDELETE**

hey - I just saw a 1926 Ray-o-Vac all- copper flashlight appraised for $8,000 on Antiques Roadshow ! Of course, this was with the original patina...

...just kidding
grin.gif

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
got an old lightmaster 3d
kinda beat but for$.25 at a garage sale...
stripped polished and clearcoated it.
a 5 cell magcharger pack and 6v halogen from radioshaft married to a screwbase=one bright unique antique.
smile.gif

Gandalf

Enlightened
Mercury vapor??? I figured with all the space under that domed glass lens, I have room for a carbon arc lamp assembly! Pop in a couple of cold fusion power packs, and I'm good to go!
grin.gif

Oh damn, I'm mixing fantasy and reality, again
confused.gif
I *hate* when that happens
blush.gif
I've got to remember to take my meds.... *all* of my meds.
OK, so a carbon arc lamp is out. How about a limelight: you know: limestone, and alcohol, and hydrogen and oxygen for fuel. They were cutting edge technology in the early 1800's!
BTW: I converted a maglite 3D to use a 6 volt halogen lamp, and a mag charger cell. Not quite as bright as a magcharger, but a *much* better focused beam, and a little longer run time, too. I used a silver 3 D maglight. I love black flashlights, but let's face it: that's about the worst color a flashlight can have: they are hard to see in the dark (D'OH!)
blush.gif

Using a 25 cent garage sale light sure beats the $19 I spent on the new mag light. And I was patting myself on the back for thinking of that, too!
cool.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sflate:
When are you going to get started with the LED conversion??
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't be silly!,-this flashlight obviously needs conversion to mercury vapor bulb
wink.gif
grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have a flashlight from this time period that has a strange composite body, possibly some kind of treated cardboard.
Some of the rivets holding the reflector/head assembly on have torn off, so the light really can't be used. But it is interesting to look at. Cost me $2 at a flea market, and it appears it *may* have the original lamp in it.

mcjamison

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gandalf:

But what you are really wondering is: how does it work. In a word: awful! I know the older bulbs were larger, at least double the diameter of a current 2 cell screw in ones, but that thick glass spreads the light like you wouldn't believe!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting find, Gandalf!

Your comment about older bulbs being twice as large got me thinking - a larger bulb would probably put the filament in a different position, further forward. Perhaps the magnifying lens, which performs so poorly with the modern bulb, would have a more positive effect if the filament was in a different position? Is it possible to remove the head or lens and experiment with a closer bulb position?

If that turns out to be the problem, then perhaps you could find some larger bulb, or figure out a spacer of some sort that would put the modern bulb further forward.

-- Jamie

mcjamison

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gandalf:
And a final bit of antique flashlight history trivia: Winchester was a pretty big name in flashlights back then. I've seen pictures of dozens of different models. Winchester's name was also on flashlight bulbs and batteries, as well.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Winchester put their brand on a number of household and outdoor items back then - many are on display at the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose, California. They have a pretty good number of the flashlights on display.

For those flashaholics who live in or may visit the area, the Winchester Mystery House offers special "flashlight tours" of this creepy old mansion every friday the 13th, and for two weeks around Halloween. Included in the admission price is a commemorative flashlight, which you use on the tour. I don't know if they'll let you use an M6, or whether you ought to - total illumination may take some of the scariness and novelty out of the experience!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

cool.gif
HEY Gandalf you left marks on my green door froom banging with 4 cell mag light!!!!!!!!!!!!! PS you know im a deep sleeper? <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gandalf

Enlightened
Damn. It took me a few seconds to figure out the reference to the 'green door'. I must be getting old....
shocked.gif
rolleyes.gif

Very clever, though!