Is this a Potential Candidate for Modding?

Ned

Newly Enlightened
Pictured below is one of those lights you can plug into the cigarette lighter slot in your car to recharge it. This is the original version of the DashLite. A little red LED lights up while it's charging. The battery holds a charge for weeks, but I usually just leave one plugged in. With it's 12 v DC in power requirement could be a good little project platform for an LED mod?

The voltage output of the charged unit measures 2.8 V on my voltmeter. It comes with a small incandescent bulb with a 2.2 V rating drawing 0.25 A. The hole in the reflector for the head of the buld to fit thru is 6.9mm. next to the hole is a flange that opens t the width of the hole (10.9 mm id).

What could one put in this to make an LED light?

dashliteBS72.jpg

red_robby

Enlightened
it's not ideal. it almost seems like a waste of time modding this one,(my opinion) maybe red leds would make sense but with
the 2.8v out(probably not under a load) you would need to either add a booster circuit, or change the battery/charger
components for a white led mod.

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
There are probably two small NiCd inside the casing, plus a resistor to limit the charging current. I doubt there would be any "smart" charging circuit inside. If you can open the case, it should be possible to fit in another small rechargable cell (those cordless phone battery packs should work well here). You can do a simple DD once you get 3.6V from the socket. If you can't take the light apart gracefully, then you will likely need to custom-build a boost converter that fits the screw-base to drive a white 1W. You may still need to do some grinding on the reflector, though.

Latest posts