Can Eagletac G25 C2 mkI use unprotected 18650?(RIP Marshall)

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am selling my Eagletac G25 C2 mkI that I bought in 2012. I never used the light. It sat in its box for years. So it's like new, with no scratches, and a perfect holster. I'm selling it to an armed security guard. I am giving him the light, the optional folding diffuser attachment, and a protected Eagletac 3100mah 18650 for $45.

I gave him the light yesterday to try out, including the box, manual and all accessories. So I am having difficulty figuring out whether the Mk 1 version of the G25 C2 can safely use unprotected batteries. In my searches, I keep getting links to the later versions, which may well have different circuitry, as well as different LED's.

I found the original video review of the Mk 1, done by Marshall at Going Gear in 2012 or 2013, but I heard no reference to whether or not it requires protected batteries. So I called Going Gear, where I purchased this and several other lights and batteries, but the employee I spoke with didn't know the answer to my question. So I asked to speak with Marshall, who I was sure would know. But I was informed that he had passed away almost a year ago. I was stunned, because he was a young guy.

He seemed like a great guy. I had spoken with him at least a couple times, including when I had to return a Spark SL5 210cw, which came out of the box with a questionable switch. He went ahead and shipped out a replacement before my light had even reached him by mail. His video reviews of lights were top notch. I would always choose his reviews over most other video reviewers(with the exceptions of a few cpf reviewers who are also top notch). Apparently Going Gear will continue to stay in business as of now.

Anyway, does anyone know the answer to the question regarding G25 C2 Mk 1 ability to safely use unprotected batteries?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only reasons it wouldn't be able to use an unprotected cell is because that unprotected cell is too short to fit the light as designed, or there is no forward spring to make contact with a flat top 18650. Reverse polarity protection would also prohibit the use of a flat top battery, but you should be able to see that, along with the forward spring, but looking at it.

As far as low voltage cutoff, or low voltage protection, 2012 was still kind of new for low voltage step-downs in lights, with Zebralight having an actual low voltage cutoff, but that was kind of rare-ish.

If you'll giving a noob, a light with an 18650, especially if he's not into li-ions, it's best to make it a protected one, just to cover your behind.

Let him know what's what, before handing it over.

Chris

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the time I bought this and other 18650 & 14500 lights, I exclusively purchased protected batteries. Since then, many newer lights don't require protected batteries, due to their built in protection circuitry. But just to be safe, I included a 3100mah protected Eagletac 18650 with the G25 C2 I sold him. I wrote down a bunch of advice and sources for accessories, recommended he buy the Xtar VC4 charger, and told him to pick up a few CR123 batteries from batteryjunction as emergency spares.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the time I bought this and other 18650 & 14500 lights, I exclusively purchased protected batteries. Since then, many newer lights don't require protected batteries, due to their built in protection circuitry. But just to be safe, I included a 3100mah protected Eagletac 18650 with the G25 C2 I sold him. I wrote down a bunch of advice and sources for accessories, recommended he buy the Xtar VC4 charger, and told him to pick up a few CR123 batteries from batteryjunction as emergency spares.

I still have my first two li-ions--EagleTac 3100s with PCBs. Got them for a ZL SC600, my first li-ion light.

I don't really do protected cells any longer, but you did the guy a solid.

Chris