New Surefire E2D Defender 1000 lumens - single and dual outputs

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is good, perhaps for advertising, but I have doubts that it will work 1000 lm for a long time. Maybe the first minutes for to meet the standard of FL1, and then quickly falls to 400 lumens? Until there are known tests, I buy an old version with 200 or 500 lumens. I had 200 lm before, I sold it and now I think that I need to look for it again.

jalcon

Newly Enlightened
Looks like this is available to buy on surefire website for $199. With 10% coupon code that's $179.99. For the old version of this light, 600/5...most sites are selling it for $225+ What exactly am I missing and is this in stock.at surefire now? Or on backorder? Been out of the flashlight game for like 6 years, haha.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like this is available to buy on surefire website for $199. With 10% coupon code that's $179.99. For the old version of this light, 600/5...most sites are selling it for $225+ What exactly am I missing and is this in stock.at surefire now? Or on backorder? Been out of the flashlight game for like 6 years, haha.

I called Surefire this morning and they are currently on backorder. Supposedly they said that they will be back in stock sometime next week. Of course, that's Surefire timeline so it could be several weeks before they are in stock.

Mr. LED

Enlightened
I have doubts that it will work 1000 lm for a long time.

That's one of the reasons I won't buy it. Surefire for a long time was away from the lumens race, now they're in. I still love Surefire, but the new lights are not for me.

jalcon

Newly Enlightened
Even if the 1000 lm doesn't work for a long time, this light will still be better than the 500 lm version, no?

Mr. LED

Enlightened
Runtimes would have to be compared, also the step down curve. But it's subjective, some might prefer more lumens, no matter what.

coffeeandlifting

Newly Enlightened
I don't mind a step-down as long as it resets when cycling the light off and back on. Is that what we're expecting? That type of regulation actually makes sense, because if you're leaving the light on to keep something constantly illuminated, you are probably starting to care more about total runtime and not lumens. I've been wishing for a single-output e2d for awhile... Wouldn't mind a 600 lumen version, but I'll grab this one if the regulation isn't terrible and the beam is neat. Anybody have one yet?

carrot

Flashaholic
I don't mind a step-down as long as it resets when cycling the light off and back on. Is that what we're expecting? That type of regulation actually makes sense, because if you're leaving the light on to keep something constantly illuminated, you are probably starting to care more about total runtime and not lumens. I've been wishing for a single-output e2d for awhile... Wouldn't mind a 600 lumen version, but I'll grab this one if the regulation isn't terrible and the beam is neat. Anybody have one yet?

I'm interested in this sort of format too. I think it's perfectly reasonable to have single mode lights that are eye-searingly bright when used in momentary and quickly ramp down when used in a prolonged fashion. I've been looking at the Malkoff Bodyguard V2, which is exactly that, but the older two mode E2D-U has treated me well so it hasn't been a priority for me.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
I really love Surefire, the company, and do not mind their pricing. Just to take a jab at this design, I'll ask: If you need a fork, why not buy a spork instead? The spork is also a spoon, and even though you only wanted a fork, isn't the spork better? IOW, for the love of all that is holy, I wish crenellations would die and stay dead. If you buy a flashlight for physical defense, you're doing it wrong. A flashlight is best as a lighting utility, and any other Swiss Army sort of design ideas tacked on for whatever reason, it can only dilute the prime purpose. At least it does not include the ubiqtous bottle opener found on nearly all things that are intended for something else (seems like).

Otherwise, nice update on the driver, even if it steps down. Nice to see E series is still being developed.

davyro

Enlightened
I've got one in the post, I love my original e2d ultra so it'll be interesting to compare the new version against the older more expensive version. Hopefully it isn't in the post on a horse and cart as I can't really wait to get my hands on it.

Dave MP

Newly Enlightened
I stopped using my E2D Executive Defender a long time ago. Even with the LED "upgrade" head, it was impractical. The crenelated "Strike Bezel" is not something I want on a flashlight. Guess it will be relegated to the back of the drawer. I do like Surefire for their KISS, sturdy lights.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone received this light? Has its beam profile stayed as narrow as it was or all those extra lumens are spread over a wider hotspot?

civic77

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone received this light? Has its beam profile stayed as narrow as it was or all those extra lumens are spread over a wider hotspot?

I am also interested in this. I sometimes do Uber eat deliveries at night and am looking for a beam similar to the 200 lumen E2DL/LX2 for spotting addresses on houses/apartments.

Also does anyone have an estimate on the step down from 1000 lumens while running on high?

davyro

Enlightened

I'm pretty sure I'll have mine in the next 48hrs. Soon as I give it a go I'll let you know my thoughts on the new light

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really love Surefire, the company, and do not mind their pricing. Just to take a jab at this design, I'll ask: If you need a fork, why not buy a spork instead? The spork is also a spoon, and even though you only wanted a fork, isn't the spork better? IOW, for the love of all that is holy, I wish crenellations would die and stay dead. If you buy a flashlight for physical defense, you're doing it wrong. A flashlight is best as a lighting utility, and any other Swiss Army sort of design ideas tacked on for whatever reason, it can only dilute the prime purpose. At least it does not include the ubiqtous bottle opener found on nearly all things that are intended for something else (seems like).

Otherwise, nice update on the driver, even if it steps down. Nice to see E series is still being developed.

+1

Pops

Mckinngkb

Newly Enlightened

I received mine yesterday. Comparing to my 200 lumen model, the 1,000 is brighter in the center, but there is a lot more spill. I actually prefer it this way - it's more useful. Once I can post attachments I can show a side-by-side comparison.

Oh, and LONG LIVE CRENELLATIONS!!!

civic77

Newly Enlightened
Does the 1000 lumen model throw further than the 200 lumen one & how does their Hotspot size differ?

If anyone has the new ED2 and also the EDCL2-T how do their beam profiles compare? I love the beam on my EDCL2-T but prefer the additional knurling/form factor of the E2D & the longer battery life (assuming since it is 1000 lumens instead of 1200).

night.hoodie

Enlightened
Oh, and LONG LIVE CRENELLATIONS!!!

LOL, srry for my rant. Its just too bad you can't buy the crenellations without having to buy the entire flashlight. They really ought to spin crenellations off into their own industry. They've been holding flashlights up for too many rounds, and its time to just let flashlights accept a TKO so the crenellations can live on and naturally evolve on their own in the free market.