How many 'White Nichia 5600mcd' = 'One White Luxeon Star @ 18lm'?

APW

Newly Enlightened
How many \'White Nichia 5600mcd\' = \'One White Luxeon Star @ 18lm\'?

How many 'White Nichia 5600mcd' = 'One White Luxeon Star @ 18 lumen'?

Say 20ma thru Nichia one and 350ma thru Luxeon one

Anyone could possibly estimate this?
The idea is if a few Nichias could match Luxeon in brigthness but lower amp drawed, it probably save more energy!

Many thanks
Andy
smile.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How many \'White Nichia 5600mcd\' = \'One White Luxeon Star @ 18lm\'?

I still don`t have a new type Luxeon Star- but when I get one I`ll meter its beam candelas and should be able to work it out that way. Maybe mr Gransee of Arc Flashlight can help us with the answer- he has been dealing with Luxeons lately. Peter?

I was under the impression that the Luxeon Star LED was not only brighter but more efficient as well.

I think the current Luxeon Star LEDs are only the same efficiency as current LED technology, but may work out better efficiency than an overdriven array of 5mm LEDs at the same intensity. Driven at the recommended level of 20-25mA and the efficiency is about the same, so I`ve been led to believe.
Efficiency will of course improve as the LED die, and the phosphors used, improve- all that will come in time.

Currently the major advantage of the Luxeon LED is the fact that it is a single LED- meaning it is much more compact than an array of 5mm ones, and also it lends itsself much better to use with external optics to focus it. An adjustable beam might be possible with the right type of lens/reflector, which I`m sure some flashlight manufacturers are working on right now. The future could prove interesting...let`s just hope it actualy does...

shocked.gif
tongue.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

As I don't yet have a Luxeon Star in white (new *or* old), I too am out of the running for doing this test.

My units (red, amber, blue-green and blue) are prototypes from various dates from approximately late 1998 to mid 1999, so I can't do any kind of comparison or testing as modern units are said to be 2x to 4x brighter than these.

Sorry I can't help with this project.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is a good question...I do not think anyone has the answer yet...this test may have to be done candle style to make up for the differance in beam qualities...my guess...a lightwave 4000 (10 led`s) drawing 210 ma will beat it...only a guess and hope I`m wrong.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was under the impression that the Luxeon Star LED was not only brighter but more efficient as well. Also that they expect the efficiency to improve with further development. If this is the case, the LS will always be brighter than a cluster of Nichia whites drawing similar current.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:

I still don`t have a new type Luxeon Star- but when I get one I`ll meter its beam candelas and should be able to work it out that way. Maybe mr Gransee of Arc Flashlight can help us with the answer- he has been dealing with Luxeons lately. Peter?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We don't have a good light meter yet. At 350ma the white puts out much more than 5 overdriven Nichias for sure. Maybe 4-5 times more? Not very scientific... Sorry.

They run very hot at 350mA and are touchy in other respects as well. All in all, a good part, but quite different in operation from the Nichias.

I agree with Chris, one of the LS's strong points is that it has a single LED and optic resulting in an excellent beam.

Peter Gransee

DebtFree

Newly Enlightened
"Out-In-The-Woods", Alabama "Home of hurricanes an

Gransee,
While we're on the subject, how hot do you plan to run the Luxeon Star LED (how much in mW) in the Arc LS?

And, how will that brightness compare to a 5 Nichia array?

Don't know if I worded the questions right, just trying to get an idea of just how bright that LS is going to be. (I'm a "bright-a-holic" you know .........)

Thanks,

Marked

Enlightened

any one have the E1. its 15lum
"15 lumens of light output (that's more output than a 2 "D" cell
flashlight)."

KenBar

Enlightened

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DebtFree:
Gransee,
While we're on the subject, how hot do you plan to run the Luxeon Star LED (how much in mW) in the Arc LS?

Thanks,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto...and also is there ( could there ) be a central location where info. is located for the LS? I check here..

Arc LS info page

And here...

Arc LS forum

I guess I am just getting excited....a month is a long wait without a little more tease insider info.

2.75, 3.5, 5.25 inches etc etc Brag a little!

I feel about this like my first Eternalight except I expect the construction to be rock solid on the LS.
smile.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the vote of confidence KenBar.

I agree on having a central location for the LS thread. It would be nice if everyone had an opportunity to easily follow the conversation and give their input. I will post information about the Arc-LS to the manufacturer's forum here.

Peter Gransee

From the Luxeon Datasheet:

White with optics has a 10 degree viewing angle and puts out 180 CD "on axis".
I assume this means at the center of the beam.
180 Cd is 180,000 mCd! That's 32 5600 mcd Nichias (not overdriven)!!!

At 30 mA each, an array of 32 would draw 960 mA. The Luxeon is at 350 mA, so I would think it is slightly more efficient.
wink.gif