Best LIght for Newbie

sbdave

Newly Enlightened
Okay, brand new to the forums, but I've been doing some reading/researching and trying to decide which lights to start off my collection with.

For better or worse, I usually try and jump head first into these things (my first EDC knife was a Sebenza wood inlay), so I am looking for an aweinspiring light that will last a long time, impress me and my friends, and work well whenever needed... much like my Sebenza, which I can't live without.

Just wondering what your guys opinions were for a good $100-$150 starter light. I've obviously seen a lot of posts about the ARC LS series, as well as the SureFire L4. These seem like they might be a good place to start. How does the FireFly compare to these? I've been reading about it and everyone seems to love it... and now that some new ones may be coming out... would that be a better route to go? Brightness/Size Ratio is very important. I realize that these won't give the throw that an incandescent will give, but i want a light that you look at, and just can't beleive that that much light is coming out of such a small thing.

I'm also planning on getting a small/cheap Dorcy to play around with, as well as an ARC AAA. In addition, I am thinking of retrofitting an old minimag with BadBoy, MadMAx or Newbeam, any recommendations on one of those three?

Thanks in advance for all your help... I'm really looking forward to hearing your opinions.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi sbdave, Sounds like you have the right ideas. I have an ARC LSL-P, and I really like it. Everyone I show it to is impressed by how bright it is and how small it is. I have an ARC AAA on order, and I'm sure I'll love it. Most everyone seems to. I don't have the others you mentioned (yet), so I can't comment on those. This is a great place to find out info on flashlights. Check out ledmuseum.org There's a wealth of info there! And oh, yeah....Welcome to CPF!!

avusblue

Enlightened
Here's how I'd start out:

Dorcy AAA
Arc AAA
SureFire L4
Arc LSH

About $250 all together and you're "in the club" with the right essentials!

And start saving for your VIP.

Cheers and welcome,

Dave

paulr

Flashaholic
I'd say the old Arc LS series still has certain attractions but the newer Arc4+ obsoletes it in most regards.

The Firefly is different, an absolutely wonderful light, not exactly Sebenza-like, but more like a custom knife, a little bit robotically precise than the Sebenza and fussier to operate, but in some ways having more character. If you set it up with a MM+ WO and a 3 watt emitter and a Fraen, it will have tremendous throw for its size, but it will also heat up pretty fast. You probably won't want to run it for more than a few minutes at a time. The L4 will be even brighter, but is much larger.

Those Minim*g drops-ins certainly improve the stock Minim*g but they're not as nice as buying a better light in the first place, (Arc, SF L4) IMO. The exception might be the Opalec, which isn't so bright, but makes a nice smooth highly regulated beam with long runtime.

Keep in mind that these LED lights are high tech electronic gadgets just like laptop computers are. I don't know if you can think of them as being as permanent as your Sebenza. Years from now, they'll still be working fine, but will be pretty obsolete since newer lights will be brighter, use less power, have more features, and so forth. In fact the current rapid technical advances are part of the excitement that drives flashaholism. But it means that lights that you buy today should be for the use and satisfaction you get from them today and in the not too distant future, without expecting too much from them in the very long term.

Anyway, you should definitely get an Arc AAA, and I'd even say it should be #1 on your list. After that, it would be between the Arc4+ (the factory seconds at $99 are a good deal) and the L4, or maybe the A2 (LED/incan hybrid). The Firefly is wonderful but I don't know if it's the right thing to start out with. Or if you want throw, try an L5. But unless you have a specific need for throw, you may be overrating it. In lots of situations, a nice wide beam is more useful than a narrow beam with more throw.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
sbdave,
Welcome to CPF!

The ARC AAA standard is a must have. The difference between the standard and the premium is slight.

The ARC4+ wins out over the ARC LSH-P because it's more versatile. I used to EDC the LSH-P but now the ARC4. I EDC them in a RipOffs holster.

The Firefly is smaller and might win out if you carry it in a pocket.

All of the Sandwiches are much better than a stock MiniMag. The BadBoy 750 Lux3 or the MadMax+ Lux3 are the brightest that I've seen. If you're going to drive them this hard I recommend NiMH rechargeable batteries, but they'll work on any AA's.

The Opalec NewBeam is good for 8 to 10 hours runtime and I think it's worthwhile.

You might want to check out the Surefire A2. Here's a link to Quickbeams review

sbdave

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys thanks for quick responses... keep them coming! Some quick questions:

Avusblue, how much is Mr Bulk going to be selling the VIP for... looks pretty damn nice.

Paulr, yeah, that is a good point about the technology changing, and therefore not lasting as long as a sebenza... I'll keep that in mind and try not to go too overboard.

I've been reading about the Arc4+, and checked out the demos, it looks pretty nice indeed. Where can I still find the seconds for sale? Do people seem to generally like the seconds? I read a post where people commented on their seconds, and most seemed plenty happy.

In terms of light, how does the firefly compare to the ARC 4+?

Thanks for all the help so far.

sbdave

Newly Enlightened
Found the seconds, thanks.

So, if I went with the Arc LS route, would it be better to go with the ARC4 seconds sale, or the Foot In The Door sale, also at $99. I realize I just missed the $80 FITD sale... I suck.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go with the ARc4+. It makes alot of the other lights redundant. The Arc 4+ has a good hot spot, great sidespill and adjustable output.

Greymage

Enlightened
I think the Firefly can't be beat for brightness/size. I now EDC one, replacing an Arc LS-1. I tried out an Arc4+, but it was too big to carry in my pocket and came on by itself several times. I'm in line for a VIP, but while I think it'll be brighter than the Firefly it looks about the same size as an Arc4 so I doubt I'll be able to EDC it.

For non-EDC lights, try the Streamlight 4AA LED. I was just organizing my lights, and I was surprised by how white, bright and wide the beam was. It had the most pleasing light of any of the others, including multiple luxeons (UK 4AA LED, Impact XL, Arc LS-1, Surefire E1E with KL1) and regular LED lights (Inova X5T, Opalec Newbeam dropIn for Mag), and it's only about $25. (don't think it's regulated though, so it might not look as nice with non-fresh batteries, and it's more of a flood than a spot).

I do have an Arc AAA but don't carry usuall carry it since the Firefly is the same length, though twice the diameter. I carry a white Photon 3 for low light/backup; it's much smaller than the Arc AAA and coin cells are cheap in quantity.

stockwiz

Enlightened
I second (or third)the other posters recommendation for the Arc4 as a first light ... at $100 you can't beat the price. Great light output yet good runtimes using the 123 battery as well. Plus, the reflector is top of the line if you are looking for throw from a small light. You'll really appreciate being able to give yourself a bright burst of light when you really need it but at the same time being able to conserve the batteries by customizing what are essentially 4 quickly accessable brightness levels... max, two customized, and really dim.

Otherwise I'd recommend trying to get yourself a VIP if you can find one... or perhaps a firefly.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another hardy high-ho and welcome sbdave. I concur with the, above, recommendations with additional suggestions. Having LED lights without a bright, far throwing, xenon, type is like having only a straight blade screwdriver and no phillips. For my particular needs LEDs are good for many situations but I also have a Scorpion for small size and good throw. There are newer and brighter types than the Scorp but something along those lines is something to consider if you need to throw a spot far away. Of course there are larger lights that throw even further and are rechargeable too.

sbdave

Newly Enlightened
Thnaks againg guys for all of your help. I'm glad to see that I was at least in the ballpark with the lights I was considering. This is definitely going to be a tough decision. Guess it depends on much I win in Vegas this weekend!

Another question I had was concerning a keyring flashlight. I currently have a Photon III (1st gen) which sucks as it always turns itself on, although I really like its size/brightness ratio. Sounds like a Arc AAA would be a good replacement, I was just wondering if there are any brighter keyrings out there. I've read about the NLS and Keylux, and those look amazing, although there really isn't a way for me to get one of these... not could I afford one. What other possibilities are there? I saw someone mod an Arc AAA with a 8mm LED. Can you drop a luxeon in an AAA? How difficult are those mods to do. I am an Electrical Engineer, but I haven't used my degree in a while. Maybe I'll post this question in the Mod section, but I thought I'd try here first.

Thanks again!

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey sbdave:

As you learned from your Sebenza, quality counts. Read Peter's essay on the Arc AAA in the Arc forum; it will gel your thinking on the keychain light.

Remember that there is no one perfect flashlight. Like the question: Would you rather build a house with a hammer or a saw? You need different lights for different jobs.

Get a good keychain light (Arc AAA is my choice), a good EDC (that's the Arc4+ or SF L4), a good throwing Luxeon (the SF L6), and a good incandescent rechargeable thrower (TigerLight).

Others have different favorites, but the idea is to think in terms of a set of flashlights, like a set of any other fine tools.

P.S., You're going to love this stuff.

briteguy

Newly Enlightened
All the above metioning lights are great choices.

If I have to start out, I would get a SF L4. The E body supports the xenon E bezel (which can run both MN02 and MN03 bulbs), and you can also get a KL1 (the 1w led bezel).

This way you will have all lighting situations covered and future expansion possibilities and parts.

I EDC a L4 in my front pant pocket clipping onto my pocket flap. I think the size is perfect unless you want it on your keychain.

DashingMan

Newly Enlightened
I just joined the forums a few weeks ago, and I already got an arc4 second. . .my first light, and slightly used ArcAAA Turquoise yesterday in the mail. I am very happy with my selections. The 4+ may be expensive for a first light though. . .