My 5 watt DD drive mod here too :-)

SKYWLKR

Enlightened
slowly adding my lights to my webpage here is my I'm guessing this is a space needle II clone too.
http://www.skywlkr.com/Lights/5wattdd.html
snii.jpg

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question for the 'master modders' out there. Since this has an LED with a fV of T, how long would you ballpark this LED lasting running direct?

By the way, nice mod there. Looks like my Psuedo SN II. It has a W2W emitter on it. Good job! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

stockwiz

Enlightened
damn doesn't that mag just look sweet. I have a purple one that uses a 3 watt that I like just as much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish I could get a hold of a nice bin 5watter... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

SKYWLKR

Enlightened
Y know what... I look back into my PM's and is a U Bin Why the hell I thought it was a T I dont know.

vacuum3d

Enlightened
Hi SkyWalker,
I have a newbie question for you. When you say you Direct Drive the 5W, do you actually use resistors somewhere in the circuit? I hear people say DD from time to time, but some people mention using resistors and some don't. I'm a bit confused. Thx.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vacuum... DD means nothing, (nada, nope, ziltch) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif between the LED and the power supply. The other option is Resistored. Of course, there is Regulated.

vacuum3d

Enlightened
hotbeam, from 90% of articles I've read, without putting some resistance between the led and the power, it would create a Short Circuit that would most like burn the led. So why not put a resistor in it? Please educate me. Thx.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Adding resistance would not prevent a short. It's there to reduce the amount of current going to the LED. Depending on what you are using to power the LED, some configs are fine DD, ie. LuxIII off 2D or C cells or LuxV off 3x123.

SKYWLKR

Enlightened
There we go, fixed web page for the correct BIN....

Vacuum.. Hotbeam answered the question well...

on the "Short Issue"..

I theory it could cause a "short" like occurrence to the batteries if the LED draws to much current and the batteries puke... but the batteries would have to be so low in internal resistance and a loose LED that I don't know if it is possible with any combo with in reason....

I think it would smoke the LED first any way though.. Maybe when we get to 10 watters over driven to 20+ :)

Now let me now if I'm off base ,but that is what I understand in LED workings and electrical theory.