Calling CPF'ers in TX and AZ.

richpalm

Banned
Calling CPF\'ers in TX and AZ.

Hi all,

Since we've just about had it with the police state of NJ, not to mention a major winter depression episode, again, I'm pretty much fed up. I've had it with living in a freaking freezer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

The question being, how do you folks that live in the Southwest like it? Jobs plentiful? Still got a first and 2nd amendment? People nice? Let it all hang out! (Just looking to stay away from the border for obvious reasons) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Thanks a lot!

Rich

(Oh, did I say I hate it here?!)

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Calling CPF\'ers in TX and AZ.

Ya got concealed carry here in texas as well as no state income tax...8.25%sales tax though

darkgear.com

Enlightened

AZ is still the wild west almost anything goes. Class III are easy to get if you are into that. CCL's easy to get. Gunsite is there. Kinda funny that the next state over doesn't allow anything that is legal here.

One of the toughest prison systems. Chain gang were brought back. A few years ago the prison system was going to go over budget and instead of asking for more money. they made prisoners go without lunch.

Diamondbacks, Suns, Coyotes, Cardinals.

5-6.5% sales tax depinding where in the state.

Jobs are not hard to find. If you are business owner labor is pretty cheap too you just have to watch out for that green bus pulling up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It's possibly the last right to work state(anyone else have right to work laws still?) which can be good or bad depending ho you look at it. Most times no employer will abuse it though because the employee will just quit and they have to find someone else.

Weather is OK unless you're in the southern half of the state in summer. You get a lot of sunshine. Around 280 days a year.

Oops forgot ARC FLASHLIGHT is there and you're only 1 state away from Shot Show!

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast

Skip Texas...move to Nevada!

Seriously, some places in Texas aren't really all that bad. Austin and Houson subburbs are nice and if you're in a profession that's in demand, then you've got a job.

Weather here in Central Texas--hot in the summer, but tolerable. Winter isn't nearly as bad as up north (from a former Pennsylvanian). This time of year is usually just wet and chilly.

-Jason

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

An example of cost of living....my 25 year old daughter and her 27 yearold husban just bought a 1,378 sq ft 25 year old brick house with a 592 sq ft attached garage for $86,000! This is the couple that just opened a Dominos Pizza store about 1.5 years a go and are in the process of buying another shop!
We afre about 35 miles south west of Ft Worth, Tx. Buy some news papers and check the want ads.

AZMAN

Newly Enlightened

Well I live in Arizona..........and I'd suggest Texas.

They are both pretty good states.

No income tax and lower cost of living in Texas is why I would lean towards Texas.
Weather here in Arizona is perfect...I'm in Prescott area..........but because of that perfect weather ie NO RAIN there really isn't much vegetation. Flagstaff is nice with all its trees, but cost of living in rising fast and really there is a limited number of jobs.

Anyway, there are a couple of thoughts........let me know if I can give you any more info.

AZMAN

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
darkgear.com said:
5-6.5% sales tax depinding where in the state.

[/ QUOTE ]

Darkgear......It is up to 8.35% now in Prescott.
I believe Texas also has high sales taxes.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

If you'd like humidity you can swin in, come on down to Houston!

CCL is pretty easy here. Sales tax 8.25%. I would think a job here would be easy to come by, depending on what you do of course!

We don't really have Winter. We have a rainy season that gets cool. Let it snow here and it would be armegedon! (Smart people like me would stay home!)

I here the weather is a little better up around Dallas, but they get just as hot or hotter than us in summer.

I would stay OUT of the Big Cities Limits! I want to get out of Harris County! Brazoria County looks most likely.

I am awful proud to be a Texan!

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm in Dallas/Fort Worth and there are plenty of jobs, kinda tight now but that's anywhere. Concelaed carry is great, gun shows are good and the best prices compared to other states.

I do want to look into Arizona or Nevada when the wife and I get on in age.

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall

i just got here but i like it. in may i will take advantage of that 2nd amendment. i wish there were more trees like my area back in NC. really miss that green. before you move please consider that you are moveing from the freezer to the blast furnace.

cheers

Aragorn

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

....and then there's the Texas weather. Yesterday we had a squall line of super-cell t'storms 25 miles wide by 200 miles long come rippig through! Lots of damage. I was lucky....I only clocked max wind speed of 48mph!

nullandvoid

Newly Enlightened

Sales tax in the phoenix area is right around 8.1%, summers are a blast furnace, but the trade off is you never have shovel snow, at least not in phoenix. Lot's of year round outdoor sporing opportunities. Gun laws are pretty good at the moment but since we currently have a Dem for a govenor who knows. 2 hours to get to snow in flagstaff, 4 hours to rockypoint for the mexico beach and booze, 5-6 hours to LA or LasVegas. I was born here and am not likely to move away. Job opportunities in the tech sector are pretty slim, lot's of big high tech employers here have layed off people in the last couple of years so the markets are just full of over qualified techies.
What kind of activities are you interested in?

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

I lived in Phoenix, AZ for 13 miserable years. Hated EVERY minute of it. The only thing I miss is Fry's Electronics, a really great metal scrap yard, and a electronics / machinery surplus yard.

Flagstaff area isn't bad, although you will have pretty harsh winters, The eastern mountains around ShowLow and Springerville are nice, but snowy in winter. You couldn't pay me enough to live in Phoenix, Tucson, Yuma or Sasha's nieghborhood. I used to LOVE the area around Bisbee and Patagonia on the southern border, Nice and "mountainy and foresty", and fairly comfortable all year, but the whole area is under a literal seige by drug dealers, violent illegal alien smugglers and that sort of thing. Last time I was down in the forest there I must have had five people with M-16s on one side of me and another five with AK-47s on the other side of me, following my every move.

I like a lot of things about Texas, but prefer most of Nevada except for the Las Vegas area and south of there. Lots of jobs in Vegas though.

Colorado is pretty neat and absolutely beautiful... I'm thinking of retiring to a few acres up in the mountains there, although I may opt for one of the Dakotas- you can get a thousand acres of land there for the price of ten acres in Colorado. Idaho has it's attractions too.

But since you want to get away from snow, I guess all the places I consider decent are the opposite of what you are looking for.

New Mexico is under-rated. Much of it has an excellent climate. Major downside right now is the illegal alien problem. We have a governor that shamelessly caters to them and overtly encourages more and more to come. So jobs are hard to come by unless you are highly skilled, or can bribe your way into a government job.

As far as jobs in general- Start your own internet based business, live wherever you want.

darkgear.com

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Silviron said:
You couldn't pay me enough to live in Phoenix, Tucson, Yuma or Sasha's nieghborhood.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll agree with that. I was in prescott which is as mild as it gets for weather all year round. South of that was too intense for me.

[ QUOTE ]

As far as jobs in general- Start your own internet based business, live wherever you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

even Hawaii! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif