Wuben        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saved by the Malkoff

Default Saved by the Malkoff

Just got my first Malkoff MD2 and was using it to take the dog for a walk tonight when I ran across this guy in my driveway.
    I know, any light would have probably worked but the quality Malkoff suddenly felt like money well spent.

Default Re: Saved by the Malkoff

He doesnít look dangerous. What is it, any idea?
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi

Yep, itís a Copperhead. Very unpleasant bite that would have called for a trip to the ER for either me or the dog had I not spotted early. Tell tale arrowhead shaped head is hard to see in this picture.

A&Q Moderator

That's a copperhead for sure. More closely related to a cottonmouth than a rattlesnake (I think) though all three are pit vipers. The other night a Malkoff saved me from a skunk during a night street jog.
    The TK20. Yes it still rocks.

Thats a good one right there! My cat (well, the cat that lives outside my house that I feed we named Boycat) got bit in the face this year, and last year, and the year before. He will never learn. Almost lost his eye this time, bad thing is after the bites he still brought me 2 out of 3 dead copperheads. Hes about like me, nothing normal about him. : D
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

Where are you located? We get Copperheads, Cottonmouths, and Water Mocassins here. The Water Mocassins tend to group up in the water. A few years back a boy fell into a ball of Water Mocassins and died. I know I would much rather be bitten than have my pet bitten...and I know they feel the exact opposite.
    WANTED: Malkoff MD3/MD4 Bodies, Tail Switches, Head Assemblies, Hi/Lo Rings--Any condition. Contact Me If You Have these Items: PM or Johnmpruner@gmail.com. Thanks, JP

Quote Originally Posted by redvalkyrie View Post
    The Water Mocassins tend to group up in the water. A few years back a boy fell into a ball of Water Mocassins and died.
    This is an urban legend. There is no credible evidence that anyone ever fell into a group of water moccasins and was bitten to death. And, as far as evidence for the contrary goes: Water Moccasins absolutely do not group up or ball up or nest up. This has been debunked:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cottonmouth-washed/

A&Q Moderator

My experience with Pit vipers. They like to stay still however will move out of the way then preform a threat display if they expect an issue. They don't seem to be in a big hurry to leave but will move off. I have never seen a group dynamic though know timbers den up so they get together. Never seen cottonmouths group up but then again never seen lots of things. Still it's low on my list and have walked waist deep for miles though the big cypress. They're active at night so a flashlight or headlamp is useful. It's really the bugs and slips, trips and falls. That or exposure which hurts.

Aren't water moccasins and cotton mouths the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Nippy Dye View Post
    Yes.

A&Q Moderator

Yup.

3 times yes

Flashaholic

Also "pit vipers" we call 'em rattle snakes out west. Had a bumper crop of them this year🐍

Quote Originally Posted by knucklegary View Post
    Also "pit vipers" we call 'em rattle snakes out west. Had a bumper crop of them this year
    Iíve never been out on a mountain and had one of my buddies scream Holy crap look at that pit viper. We call them rattlers here too haha. We only have timber rattlers in southwestern Virginia. ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1538743704.431707.jpg

Flashaholic

Holy Crap.. LOL We have the Diamond Backs. I swear some grow large as Boas, and can make fellas bung hole pucker real tight!

Flashaholic* Crazyeddiethefirst's Avatar

When I was 16 I just had to prove how ďbraveĒ I was(now I recognize the word ďstupidĒ is much more applicable) and caught a diamondback with my bare hands. Have since had to treat a few dogs that were bit and count my blessings I did not get bit. Poor dogs really suffer when bit(only lost one dog, and it had been bit the year before also)...Having a Malkoff in hand is always very reassuring-never once had one fail, ever....

Flashaholic*

Is the thread title a new flashlight-related TV comedy?

(Saved by the Bell reference.....)

Flashaholic

^^ Years ago my black lab got bit in rear leg by a large Diamondback. It didn't take long for the leg/ankle to swell to the size of a mellon. Lucky we got him to vet in time for anti venom shots. I hear veterinarians now offer a rattle snake vaccination for your dogs. But not sure if it works on humans🐵

To answer the question, Iím in coastal S.C. and and the poisonous snakes I know we have here are Cottonmouth water moccasins, diamondback rattlers, copperheads (as seen in the original post) and coral snakes (rare.)
    As a boy I remember seeing multiple cottonmouths balled up in a Cyprus tree though I have no idea why they would be grouped together like that but it made an impression. My grandfather had no fear of them and liked to fish under trees that had snakes in them based on some belief that the fish were more likely to bite.
    I donít know about that but I was certainly more likely to prostrate myself in the bottom of the boat and pray.
    He also liked to rob wasp nest for their larvae by grabbing the nest in his hat while running the boat wide open down river until one day when his motor died and he was left holding a nest of angry wasps.
    I really miss that man as we had many adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by JLeephoto View Post
    Just got my first Malkoff MD2 and was using it to take the dog for a walk tonight when I ran across this guy in my driveway.
    I know, any light would have probably worked but the quality Malkoff suddenly felt like money well spent.
    You likely would have been okay if you got bit, least venomous out of the pit vipers.
    TM36 Lite | Vish's ThruNite TN36UTVN | Olight S1-Cu Baton Raw Copper | Olight S1-Cu Baton Exclusive Raw SS Copper

Quote Originally Posted by trailhunter View Post
    You likely would have been okay if you got bit, least venomous out of the pit vipers.
    While I am a chance taker, I'm not exactly that type of risk taker! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by LetThereBeLight! View Post
    While I am a chance taker, I'm not exactly that type of risk taker! :-)
    who wouldnt want to get bit?
    TM36 Lite | Vish's ThruNite TN36UTVN | Olight S1-Cu Baton Raw Copper | Olight S1-Cu Baton Exclusive Raw SS Copper

Quote Originally Posted by JLeephoto View Post
    As a boy I remember seeing multiple cottonmouths balled up in a Cyprus tree though I have no idea why they would be grouped together like that but it made an impression. My grandfather had no fear of them and liked to fish under trees that had snakes in them based on some belief that the fish were more likely to bite.
    There are some non-venomous (not "non-poisonous") snakes that do happen to sun themselves in trees in that area, notably Brown Watersnakes. However, this is very abnormal behavior for cottonmouths. Cottonmouths are almost never observed by field biologists in trees or balled up together. These other non-venomous snakes that do this are easily mistakable for cottonmouths. And there has understandably been a myth that has propagated that cottonmouths are lurking in the trees waiting to fall in your boat and bite everyone aboard. It seems likely that you just have a simple and understandable case of misidentification. No harm, no foul.

A&Q Moderator

Never seen one up a tree but that's no proof of anything. In my experience cottonmouths like water with a snow current, channels in the swamps or areas which draws small fish and frogs. They like to rest on fallen logs which when dry they blend into perfectly. I don't think they're as aggressive as myth says aka activly attacking etc etc etc. If so I would have been bitten a few times wading through the Big Cypress. Aw heck here I don't even have shoes on. Just socks.

However there is ZERO question in my mind the threat display is more than a bluff. If pushed they would bite. Sometimes I don't get the same feeling with a Timber. Ok odds are you would get bitten if the situation allowed but they seem calmer. I can't explain it. Could be a water snake thing. Pick up a common watersnake and it goes crazy from both ends.

This rat snake has a good threat display. Even rattled it's tail though watersnakes are probably most miss identified as venomous. They just look nasty.

My advice is don't pull on this tail.

Last edited by Woods Walker; 10-13-2018 at 06:33 PM.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Walker View Post

However there is ZERO question in my mind the threat display is more than a bluff. If pushed they would bite. Sometimes I don't get the same feeling with a Timber. Ok odds are you would get bitten if the situation allowed but they seem calmer. I can't explain it. Could be a water snake thing. Pick up a common watersnake and it goes crazy from both ends.

This rat snake has a good threat display. Even rattled it's tail though watersnakes are probably most miss identified as venomous. They just look nasty.

My advice is don't pull on this tail.

If you grab the tail, you'll quickly find the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumen83 View Post
    It seems likely that you just have a simple and understandable case of misidentification. No harm, no foul.
    You are probably right especially since as a much older man now I am generally better at identifying poisonous snakes and despite having spent years hunting and fishing the swamps have not seen this behavior since.
    Childhood memories set in stone die hard.

Quote Originally Posted by aginthelaw View Post
    LMAO. Thatís as dangerous as it gets! Coppers are nothing to play with.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by aginthelaw View Post
    Thatís one of two poisonous snakes you have in your state. If you see one donít pet it. : D

Lumen83,
    Regarding snakes, what is the difference between "non-venomous" and "non-poisonous"?

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    Lumen83,
    Regarding snakes, what is the difference between "non-venomous" and "non-poisonous"?
    There aren't two different types of snakes. Its just that the correct term for snakes is venomous or non-venomous. Venom is a toxin that is created by the animal in glands and then basically injected into its victim. Poison refers to something that the animal produces and usually covers its body, that you come into contact with and it is absorbed in your body or injested. So, some animals like poisonous frogs secrete a poison over their body that you will be affected by if you come into contact with it or ingest it. But, venomous animals like venomous snakes must inject the venom into the body of the victim. You can touch venom from a venomous snake. You can't touch poison from a poison dart frog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast