Ultratac K18 v2019

FeebleOldMan

Newly Enlightened
I've been holding off on getting a K18 v2017 because we're almost at the end of 2018, and it looks like the wait has paid off.

The only model available currently is in stainless steel. Max output seems to be the same as v2017 at 370 lumens using a 10440.

From the pictures, it seems like the main difference is the 10440 USB charger add-on module can be left attached to the flashlight, extending its length by a bit. The charger module is apparently backwards compatible with older K18s.

The only retailer I'm seeing this at is hkequipment. I've never ordered anything from them before, and I'm unsure of their standing with CPF, so caveat emptor. There's also no official information on the Ultratac website.

I'd buy a neutral white version if they decide to make one in Ti!

Pictures from hkequipment:
g7Pb9R0.jpg

FLtdxPN.jpg

EDIT: I'm more of a lurker in CPF and don't have a firm grasp on the etiquette of posting here, so feel free to remove this post if it's not appropriate. I'm just excited about new developments on a flashlight that has been on my wishlist for a long time.

Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to see the specs and mode sequence.

I'd be waiting for the aluminum version for the lighter weight.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like the tail is also different - a change to a design that allows tailstanding, and has a tritium slot, but doesn't hang centered.

Interesting idea to change the charger design so you choose between bringing it with you without having a separate piece to loose, or keep the light short. It's not a high priority to me, but I don't seen any notable downsides.

HKequipment is also the only place I've seen the neutral white version of the K18 for sale.

Last edited:

schuster

Newly Enlightened
I just received one of these from HKEquipment.

Recently started dabbling in 10180-based keychain lights, and was very impressed with the K18 Mini because of the side switch - eliminates all concerns about losing the front end of a twisty, or issues with finicky mode switching and flickering because of loose threads.

I became so enamored with the K18 Mini that I ordered another, and also the full size K18, both with Nichia emitters and stainless steel body.

The tailcap (well, actually, the whole light) mimics that of the 10180 mini. Flat, with tritium slot and attachment loop. The UI is identical. I am not sure whether I am going to leave the in-series charger module permanently installed but it is certainly nice to have that option.

HKEquipment seems to get a lot of new stock waaaaay earlier than other dealers. For instance, when Acebeam re-did the UI on the UC15, HKEquipment was shipping the new version for months before anyone else.

Here in the US, they deliver via US Mail, but using one of those weird "Mail Innovations" arrangements in which they drop-ship via a different carrier (in this case, FedEx), wait a few days for logistics, and then deliver to the recipient using the mail service.

johndoe03

Newly Enlightened
hi, been having some issues with our k18 as of late . it went dead ,did some searching and found out that the led pill can need resoldering when this happens . so i took it apart after making a tool to remove the ring. i re flowed the solder on the + side of the led and the light came back to life .

wife came home with it that night and it was dead again .turns out the battery was dead .i recharged the battery and its working again .i asked her if it was on in her pocket and she says she would have felt it .i agree .

have to wait and see if this becomes a issue . its only a year old .my fenix ld01 in stainless has held up much longer .

anyone else having led issues with this k18? and is this new offering any better?

schuster

Newly Enlightened
hi, been having some issues with our k18 as of late . it went dead ,did some searching and found out that the led pill can need resoldering when this happens . so i took it apart after making a tool to remove the ring. i re flowed the solder on the + side of the led and the light came back to life .

wife came home with it that night and it was dead again .turns out the battery was dead .i recharged the battery and its working again .i asked her if it was on in her pocket and she says she would have felt it .i agree .

have to wait and see if this becomes a issue . its only a year old .my fenix ld01 in stainless has held up much longer .

anyone else having led issues with this k18? and is this new offering any better?

Have not had the new version long enough to make any conclusions on longevity, but will certainly check in here if anything unexpected occurs!

Finkin

Newly Enlightened
Been carrying Ultratac K18 since 2016 literally every day, and recommending to others. Most used and enjoyed flashlight of mine until now.
There were 4 things I wished to change/improve:
- quieter clicks of the button. Solved in v2017;
- built-in charger instead of a separate charging module (annoying, easy to lose). Solved in v2019! Of course I'd prefer a non-removable for a lesser weight/bulk cause I'd leave it there screwed on for good anyway;
- moonlight mode. No luck here - still the same 3 modes + strobe (according to the seller's description, at least on ebay);
- glow-in-the dark lens ring. Judging from the photos of v2019 it's there! Even a slot for a trit on the other side!

3 out of 4, wow!!!
BUT.... SS (steel) with all that extra bulk? That's a big minus for me. HUGE MINUS.
That close to get to (my subjective) perfection! I really hope it comes out in aluminium. Despite the urge to toy around with Ultratac K18 SS v2019 and compare it physically with v2016, it would just not replace the old one cause of the steel weight. Unfortunately.

Last edited:

Finkin

Newly Enlightened
@schuster, mind sharing some photos, length and weight measurements of both K18 SS 2019 and K18 Mini?

Last edited:

schuster

Newly Enlightened
@schuster, mind sharing some photos, length and weight measurements of both K18 SS 2019 and K18 Mini?

I can definitely share some numbers for weight and dimensions.

Photos will have to go onto my to-do-list at this point.

As regards the choice of SS - This has become a matter of changing personal preference for me. In my eye, nothing looks uglier than an aluminum flashlight whose anodizing is all beat up from being banged around on a keychain day after day. After years of going aluminum-only I have started to look at copper/brass, titanium, and SS for that reason. Not just for flashlights, but also other EDC items like machined pens (there is a thread on this here with some recent activity).

Finkin

Newly Enlightened
I can definitely share some numbers for weight and dimensions.
Photos will have to go onto my to-do-list at this point.
As regards the choice of SS - This has become a matter of changing personal preference for me. In my eye, nothing looks uglier than an aluminum flashlight whose anodizing is all beat up from being banged around on a keychain day after day. After years of going aluminum-only I have started to look at copper/brass, titanium, and SS for that reason. Not just for flashlights, but also other EDC items like machined pens (there is a thread on this here with some recent activity).

I'd say I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum: despite a big passion for aesthetics, weight is a deciding factor in EDC, although my aluminium K18 2016 is still almost unscratched, but that's cause it's too big for a keychain and I carry it pocketed separately dangling off a pocket clip.

I'll be waiting patiently for an update of yours on the K18.

schuster

Newly Enlightened
I'd say I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum: despite a big passion for aesthetics, weight is a deciding factor in EDC, although my aluminium K18 2016 is still almost unscratched, but that's cause it's too big for a keychain and I carry it pocketed separately dangling off a pocket clip.

I'll be waiting patiently for an update of yours on the K18.

Here are some measurements. All are "as supplied out of the box" with the factory LiIon cell installed:

K18 mini SS: 41.5 x 13mm, weight = 20g

K18 2019 SS:
  • without integral charger: 77 x 14mm; weight = 44.6g
  • with integral charger: 84.5 x 14mm; weight = 49.3g

Finkin

Newly Enlightened
Here are some measurements. All are "as supplied out of the box" with the factory LiIon cell installed:

K18 mini SS: 41.5 x 13mm, weight = 20g

K18 2019 SS:
  • without integral charger: 77 x 14mm; weight = 44.6g
  • with integral charger: 84.5 x 14mm; weight = 49.3g

Thanks very much.
T4dkM9y
Wow, that's a double weight of aluminium K18 v2016! Way too heavy.
T4dkM9y

T4dkM9y

Finkin-candlepowerforums-com-Ultratac-K18-v2016-Aluminium-weight.jpg

Last edited:

PhotonJunky

Newly Enlightened
Any idea where i can find the standard K18 with the Nichia emitter? Seems to be unobtanium right now. How big of a difference does it make over the cree emitter?