Need suggestion for tiny keychain flashlight (replacing Photon Micro-Light II)

engblom

Newly Enlightened
For many years I have used Photon Micro-Light II. I have grown tired of it turning itself on in my pockets and now I am searching for a replacement. I would prefer something in about the same size and weight.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about the Micro-Light II, but the Freedom does not have the physical switch to accidentally toggle on, and if the button accidentally pressing is a problem, you can put it into demo mode where it is momentary on only.

One of the main alternatives in this ultra-compact category is the Nitecore Tube, which is brighter and USB rechargeable. I don't know how it does with accidental activation.

There are also a variety of compact round-cell lights to be had using lithium ion rechargeable 10180 batteries. The Fenix UC02 and Jetbeam Mini-1 are two examples. They are twisty-style lights. You tighten the head down to turn it on, and loosen it slightly to turn it off. As long as you loosen it more than a 1/4 turn, I find there to be low risk of accidental activation with twisties. These little 10180 powered lights usually a high and low mode.

engblom

Newly Enlightened
I don't know about the Micro-Light II, but the Freedom does not have the physical switch to accidentally toggle on, and if the button accidentally pressing is a problem, you can put it into demo mode where it is momentary on only.

One of the main alternatives in this ultra-compact category is the Nitecore Tube, which is brighter and USB rechargeable. I don't know how it does with accidental activation.

There are also a variety of compact round-cell lights to be had using lithium ion rechargeable 10180 batteries. The Fenix UC02 and Jetbeam Mini-1 are two examples. They are twisty-style lights. You tighten the head down to turn it on, and loosen it slightly to turn it off. As long as you loosen it more than a 1/4 turn, I find there to be low risk of accidental activation with twisties. These little 10180 powered lights usually a high and low mode.

I have been looking at Freedom as it got a real button and not just pressing the LED lead against the battery. Sadly, when looking at the reviews it looks like this button often breaks. Is this something that got fixed in later productions or is this still a problem?

I think I prefer flashlights with "normal" batteries and not the rechargeable ones. When reading reviews, it looks like those with rechargeable batteries are often breaking.

pc_light

Enlightened
For many years I have used Photon Micro-Light II. I have grown tired of it turning itself on in my pockets and now I am searching for a replacement. I would prefer something in about the same size and weight.
The Xtar X-Craft is a similar (slight larger) button cell light but is USB rechargeable so less concerns with running down batteries.

engblom

Newly Enlightened
Xtar seems to have interesting keychain flashlights. Where are they sold? I can not find them anywhere and I can not find any reviews either.

pc_light

Enlightened
Xtar seems to have interesting keychain flashlights. Where are they sold? I can not find them anywhere and I can not find any reviews either.
There's not much to review with coin cell lights, simple 5mm on basic circuit with On/Off. FWIW, the one I have works and charges; although I did swap to a Yuji HiCRI.

PM sent.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been looking at Freedom as it got a real button and not just pressing the LED lead against the battery. Sadly, when looking at the reviews it looks like this button often breaks. Is this something that got fixed in later productions or is this still a problem?

I think I prefer flashlights with "normal" batteries and not the rechargeable ones. When reading reviews, it looks like those with rechargeable batteries are often breaking.

Must be some old reviews. I have at least 20 of these around (Freedom and Freedom Covert) and one around my neck for 2.5 years which is used at minimum 15 times a day without a single issue with the button breaking.

kevinstan

Newly Enlightened
I have a Photon Freedom and LOVE it. Does everything I need and then some. Great little light, lots of functions, and durable.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have actually gone back to the Photon II for key chain use over the Freedom. The Freedom is a great light (I have not had any switch failures at all with mine) but it does turn on accidentally in pocket too often IME.I never had problems with the Photon II since the slide switch on mine seems to be stiff enough to prevent accidental activation. It may get a momentary activation on occasion but that isn't an issue for me as it does not put significant drain on the battery to run the batteries down like constant on does. Is it momentary activation that is plaguing you or is the slide switch getting turned on? If it is the slide switch a new Photon II with a stiffer switch might do the trick.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
In addition to the Nitecore Tube, there is also the Tip and the Tini. The Tip is probably at the high end for size for you, but it does come with a nice clip that can also cover the switch so there is no accidental activation. I have one of my Tips on my keychain along with a couple of keys and my USB version of my medical info. The Tini is smaller than the Tip, but the UI seems to be more complicated as far as I can see. I'm not interested in it because it does not come in a high CRI version. All three are USB rechargeable.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the tini. It's very small, bright, and rechargeable. My only issue is that you have to hold the switch for a second before it turns on. It seems crazy but sometimes that 1 extra second before you get light when you're used to something like a forward clicky can be annoying. It doesn't come warm either which is a bummer. Otherwise, it's the highests output light I can imagine for a light not much larger than a photon.

engblom

Newly Enlightened
I have actually gone back to the Photon II for key chain use over the Freedom. The Freedom is a great light (I have not had any switch failures at all with mine) but it does turn on accidentally in pocket too often IME.I never had problems with the Photon II since the slide switch on mine seems to be stiff enough to prevent accidental activation. It may get a momentary activation on occasion but that isn't an issue for me as it does not put significant drain on the battery to run the batteries down like constant on does. Is it momentary activation that is plaguing you or is the slide switch getting turned on? If it is the slide switch a new Photon II with a stiffer switch might do the trick.

I am actually having problem with my slide switch, it is sliding too easily and the light is turned on before it is reaching the "locked" position.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am actually having problem with my slide switch, it is sliding too easily and the light is turned on before it is reaching the "locked" position.

It might be worth trying a new Photon II to see if the switch works any better. If you don't need a constant on switch you could always get a Photon I with it's squeeze only operation. There really isn't much available in the same size/form besides other coin cell lights and the other brands I have had can turn on easily in your pocket as well.Batteryjunction.com is a good source for Photons at reasonable prices and you will get a free Titanium Innovations coin cell light with orders over $20. The Titanium Innovations are not quite as small or as good quality as Photons but at 99 cents each they make nice give away lights.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
d6rSehr.jpg

The nitecore tiny and cooyoo quantum is both small usb lights i love. Usually use the instant/momentary turbo mode on the tiny. 3 sek hold to turn on is too long when i usually just need a quick burst of light.

drexter

Newly Enlightened
SureFire Sidekick has a rugged design though it is on the pricey side.