Long Range IR spotlights

OttaMattaPia

Newly Enlightened
I sometimes need long range IR illumination. 350ft or more.

I would prefer a narrow beam spotlight type light that has a beam circumference of approximately 50ft at 350ft range.

Anyone know of anything like this or if it's even possible?

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
a Maxabeam and IR filter should be able to do that easily, but its rather pricey.

Im sure there is a more wallet friendly option available, just dont know what it is.

OttaMattaPia

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course we could always go to the other extreme and pick up a Hellfighter with an IR filter. Would definitely get the range with that setup, but would probably need a backpack or cart to deal with the power supply.

OttaMattaPia

Newly Enlightened
This thing was bigger than I thought it would be when it arrived.

Like 8 or 9 inches in diameter, 12-14 inches overall length. Very high quality unit IMO. Well made.

I've only done a quick test and it definitely was super bright. I intend to take my Sony HandiCam out soon and do a distance test. If it illuminates at 300feet I'll be really happy. I can power it with a small motorcycle battery so I'm building a convenient little self-contained carry rig with self contained power so I can set it up anywhere I need it in a hurry.

Perfect for busting illegal night hunters.

The glow from the IR LEDS is minimal. Not as bright and detectable as those normally associated with DVR Cameras at night. So I estimate the wavelength to be 880 - 900nm. I have the specs sheet....somewhere. I'm not sure the human eye would detect it at 100ft plus. SUPERB buy. VERY glad I took a chance on it.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
You really need to reconsider that motorcycle battery. Like all engine batteries it is designed to put out a large current for a very short period of time, then be float charged. A load like your light would be less current but over a much longer period of time. Any automotive battery will not last long used like that. You need to get a deep discharge battery like used on trolling motors and power scooters. They are designed to output over a longer period of time and handle a lower charge level. If I was doing this I would find some sort of circuit to act as a protector so that the battery would not be discharged below its design level.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the Hellfighter will do it. But what are you using to view IR? If you are only using a Sony Handicam night Shot then it is just the camera sensor without the IR blocking filter.

Check out this video I made comparing the Hellfighter vs an IR Laser Illuminator. Filmed through Sentinel Binos White Phosphor night vision.

Lately I have been dabbling in long range illumination. 200 yards is the limit for my Surefire Weapon lights. Except for the Hellfighter. I have been able to light up targets with the PSQ-18 laser illuminator. It is a laser sight for a grenade launcher. But it has a laser illuminator that works rather well. Been able to light up targets 300-400 yards away.

Last edited: