[Review] Olight S1A Baton (1xAA/14500, 600 Lumens, TIR)

geraldL

Newly Enlightened
Note: I received this light from Fstoplights https://www.fstoplights.com/ to review. They have a great catalogue of lights and outdoor gear, with international shipping options.

Introduction

The Olight S1A came in a nice packaging – clean and professional. You'd just know you're getting a quality flashlight. It's a handy 1xAA light that puts out a whopping 600 lumens when paired with a 14500. It comes with an Olight branded non-rechargeable Lithium AA battery so you can have fun right away! I own a Foursevens Quark Pro 2xAA, and I'm definitely replacing it with this Olight.
What do I love about it?
For this brightness levels in this form factor, the Olight S1A would be a fantastic light for your pocket, bag, or your vehicle. I never had a flashlight with a magnetic tailcap but now that I've tried one, I realised how usable it is in so many situations. While this light does not throw very well, its TIR lens provides a large and even floody beam.

In short,

• Very portable/pocketable
  • Uses an easily-found battery type
  • Broad, floody beam
  • Fantastic UI
  • Magnetic tailcap!

44746137214_a4c565f94c_b.jpg

The Olight came in a very nice, clear plastic packaging with key information printed around it. You get a manual, the light, and a well-made lanyard.

44746130104_61685cd192_b.jpg

Clear and concise instructions, available in multiple languages. I applaud Olight for being transparent about their stepdown timings. It doesn't leave you wondering about lumens and runtimes.

31596299198_69d64d1c02_b.jpg

Very nice size, perfect for leaving it in your car or a bag, even for your pants pockets.

Specs

These specs are provided by the manufacturer, and can be found here:https://olightworld.com/olight-s1a-baton

Dimensions:
Weight: 37.5g / 1.32oz
Length: 79.5mm / 3.12in
Head Diameter: 21mm / 0.82in
Body Diameter: 18.4mm / 0.72in

Material
AL6061-T6 aluminum alloy, Type III hard anodising, blue PVD stainless steel ring around the switch and bezel

Knurling
Square knurling with shallow grooves in between the squares, not too aggressive, yet still feels grippy

MSRP
$39.95 USD/ $55 SGD from Fstoplights in Singapore
https://www.fstoplights.com/olight-...ra-compact-magnetic-aa-flashlight-cool-white/

LED
CREE XM-L2 LED (CW)

Reflector
TIR lens

Battery
1 x AA/14500 battery (You need a 14500 for the Turbo mode putting out 600 lumens)

Modes/Output
[Alkaline AA] 4 Modes
Moonlight: 0.5 lumens (20 days)
Low: 5 lumens (75 hours)
Medium: 50 lumens (4.5 hours)
High: 220 lumens → 100 lumens (12 mins + 80 mins)

[Included Lithium Iron AA] 4 Modes
Moonlight: 0.5 lumens (25 days)
Low: 5 lumens (80 hours)
Medium: 50 lumens (10.5 hours)
High: 220 lumens → 100 lumens (110 mins + 30 mins)

[14500] 5 Modes
Moonlight: 0.5 lumens (15 days)
Low: 5 lumens (60 hours)
Medium: 50 lumens (6.5 hours)
High: 220 lumens → 100 lumens (100 mins + 10 mins)
Turbo: 600 lumens → 300 lumens (1 mins + 60 mins)

Max Range/Throw
High mode: 71m
Turbo mode: 118m (3480cd)

Mode Memory
Yes (other than Strobe)

Waterproof
IPX8 (waterproof up till 2m, for 30 mins)

Lockout
No electronic lockout. Untwist tailcap for lockout

Tailstand
Yes

Lanyard Attachment
Yes

Reversible Pocket Clip
No

31596303708_2214c14faa_b.jpg

From left: Quark Pro QP2A-X with 1xAA battery tube, Olight S1A Baton, Lumintop Tool AAA, AA Eneloop, AW 14500 LiON, Efest 10440 LiON

31596301878_64f1c1c8c6_b.jpg

From left: Quark Pro QP2A-X with 1xAA battery tube, Olight S1A Baton, Lumintop Tool AAA, AW 14500 LiON, AA Eneloop, Efest 10440 LiON

Quality

As with most Olights, you know you are getting a flashlight with overall top notch quality. Right out of the box, the light has:

• Responsive side switch that protrudes slightly but isn't susceptible to accidental turn-ons
  • Strong clip
  • Clear, legible printing on the light in crisp white (possibly laser engraved)

45419433422_d526148ed3_b.jpg

I love the side switch. It's great for single-handed operation, and requires a substantial amount of force to depress despite it protruding out slightly. The raised switch is easier to find in the dark, in my opinion.

31596306488_d1d695aa76_b.jpg

The strong clip allows it to be clipped to a cap for hands-free use. Nifty!

45419434842_beaf9bd013_b.jpg

This is how it looks like in my EDC pouch.

31596300108_819bba460e_b.jpg

UI

The flashlight has 5 modes (excluding Turbo if you don't use a 14500).
Single click to turn it on/off. Since it has mode memory, it will come on in whichever mode you left it on (unless you left it at Strobe). With the light on, hold down the switch to cycle through Low → Medium → High → Turbo and release the switch to select the mode.

From Off:

• Hold down the switch (>1 second) for Moonlight mode
  • Double click for Turbo mode (high mode if using a non rechargeable Lithium battery)
  • Triple click for Strobe mode
To exit these modes, Hold to cycle through the modes or Click to switch off.

Timer (for the light to be automatically turned off):
3 mins: When the light is turned on, double click and the light will blink once. The flashlight will turn off after 3 mins
9 mins: When the light is turned on, double click and the light will blink twice. The flashlight will turn off after 9 mins

Beamshots

This time round, I tried to get some outdoor beamshots for you guys for a more realistic view of the illumination levels.
Taken on a Samsung Galaxy S8 set to manual mode: ISO 800, 1/15. Building was 8 to 10 metres away.

45419414482_c4462ff27b_b.jpg

Low mode

31596275408_654ca8c753_b.jpg

Medium mode

31596277728_9bf0863305_b.jpg

High Mode

31596279878_508fcaf033_b.jpg

Turbo Mode

45419439362_6162a39bde_b.jpg

Use Cases

Left in the car: When caught in an emergency situation, the magnetic tailcap really stands out because you can 'stick' it to your car.

In an EDC pouch: Like the photos above, this is how I will carry the light – as a secondary light when I need more output than my Lumintop Tool AAA.

In my pocket: While it is shorter than the Lumintop Tool AAA and perfectly ok to EDC in your pockets (especially cargo pants), it is slightly fatter and hence, I choose not to pocket carry it.

Pros & Cons

Pros

• Small form factor
  • 600 lumens on 14500!
  • Fantastic finish and strong material
  • Responsive switch
  • Strong clip
  • Love the magnetic tailcap
Cons

• The beam pattern is not perfect due to the TIR lens (but only when you view it up close)
  • Non-reversible clip
  • Rubber switch might wear out faster than a metal/plastic one
  • The grease on the threads were a little thin, but all good once I slathered some silicon grease over it

31596309358_f2521ca058_b.jpg

The light stuck on the fridge due to the strong magnet.

44746130834_1bc00efc99_b.jpg

Some beam artefacts that you see in the hotspot, but only when viewed up close and on a wall.

Conclusion

In conclusion, Olight has my badge of approval with its form factor, top notch quality and the overall usability of this light. The UI is straightforward, and the ability to go into Turbo or Strobe with double and triple clicks respectively is a well thought out feature.
If possible, I would do comparisons with the CR123 and 18650 versions of the Olight Baton series.

[This light was kindly provided by https://www.fstoplights.com/ for me to review, with no other remunerations.]

Last edited:

geraldL

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks, sorry for the poor resolution of the images previously. I didn't realise that Wordpress would compress my photos that much. It's updated now with clear photos, all thanks to Flickr!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP the review is always appreciated. Light reviews can be very hard to do some times so it is always good to see someone put one up.
The Olight S1A. I have them all. The rose golds, the standard S1As in both Cool White and Warm White the thunder gray stainless one as well. All of them have worked perfectly since I have had them all. The TIR optic they have is VERY good. Yes they do have a touch more output than their S1mini rcr16340 TIR counterparts.

My ONE gripe is that the "rose gold copper" S1A is that where the clip attaches to them there is no half detent for the clip to easily and securely stay on in one place like on the SMinis. Okay TWO gripes about the S1A is that they do not come with the very nice fade on/fade off feature of the Minis.

geraldL

Newly Enlightened
My ONE gripe is that the "rose gold copper" S1A is that where the clip attaches to them there is no half detent for the clip to easily and securely stay on in one place like on the SMinis. Okay TWO gripes about the S1A is that they do not come with the very nice fade on/fade off feature of the Minis.

Hey Celtic Cross, thanks for dropping by and the nice compliments! Appreciate it. It truly takes quite a bit of time and effort to post reviews but it's definitely worth it when we get complimented for it :party:

But with the half detent for the clip, it means that there's only one position for the clip right? And it cannot be rotated around the body to suit each individual? Am I understanding you right?

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great review.

It looks like it could be a potential candidate to replace the Utorch UT01 as a back up cap light (hat brim), even though it's pretty heavy for a hat brim light.

Why aren't NiMh batteries included as an option? That's what I usually use in my AA and AAA lights.

Cpl S

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review of this light. I EDC the rose gold copper S1A. Actually, I EDC that and 2 Maratac 1 x AAA lights abreast of my Leatherman Wave. My only gripe with the S1A is that it's virtually impossible for me to find the side switch quickly. I have to have made a conscious effort earlier in the day to make sure the clip is positioned across from the button in order to locate the button quickly.

Thanks again for your concise review!

geraldL

Newly Enlightened
Hi Light Obsession (which probably refers to all of us here in CPF), thanks for the kind words!

While it might be quite heavy for a AA light, I find no issues with clipping it onto my cap as the clip is really strong, and it goes quite deep so the light doesn't stick out too much.

And to answer your question, I assume manufacturers don't include them because the average layman will not have a charger to charge those batteries. If you realise, most of the lights that comes with free LiIons can be charged without an external charger i.e. USB charging port built into the light itself

I'd personally want them to include a free 14500 :D

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the follow up. I think that many more average people have NiMh AA than 14500. I see NiMh AA and chargers in every store here in the U.S., but don't recall ever seeing 14500s.

My challenge with heavy lights on the hat brim isn't the light staying attached to the brim, it's that the heavier the light, the more likely it is to pull the hat down over my eyes when it's attached. My Utorch UT01 is too heavy for hat brim use.

I also kind of like an output option of about 125 to 150 lumens, but that's not a deal breaker.

geraldL

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the follow up. I think that many more average people have NiMh AA than 14500. I see NiMh AA and chargers in every store here in the U.S., but don't recall ever seeing 14500s.

My challenge with heavy lights on the hat brim isn't the light staying attached to the brim, it's that the heavier the light, the more likely it is to pull the hat down over my eyes when it's attached. My Utorch UT01 is too heavy for hat brim use.

I also kind of like an output option of about 125 to 150 lumens, but that's not a deal breaker.

Ah I see. NiMHs definitely makes sense in the long run. I use them in all my lights if I'm not already running LiIONs in them.

I totally get what you mean about the light pulling the brim of your cap down! Have you considered a 1xAAA light since they're much lighter? You can check out my review of the Lumintop Tool AAA here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ntop-Tool-1xAAA-XP-G2-Clicky-(3-years-of-use)
It's my go to light when I want something lightweight on my cap.

Wonder

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great review! I have two S1A's running 14500's and love them. It's too bad Olight has discontinued this light with no near future replacement. Anyone wanting one needs to find it quickly before they are gone!

Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
GeraldL,

My current hat brim light is the Factor Equipment Mizpah 130 - very light weight and a superb clip that fits thick hat brims and retains it's shape and tightness.

geraldL

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great review! I have two S1A's running 14500's and love them. It's too bad Olight has discontinued this light with no near future replacement. Anyone wanting one needs to find it quickly before they are gone!

Hey Wonder, thanks for the kind words! How did you get news that they are discontinuing the S1A? They're lovely lights for this 1xAA form factor, that's probably favoured by the 'non-flashlight' people. Can't imagine why they'd want to discontinue it.