Lightstar 80 - What is the Color Temperature?

Cosmodragoon

Newly Enlightened
The Terralux Lightstar 80 is an older but still popular high-CRI penlight in current production. The cushy button and rubberized bite guard are comfortable in their own right but also balance the flashlight wonderfully for "cigar hold". That makes it too bulky for EDC but it has become my favorite around-the-house and general project light. With a bunch of different body color options and sub-$20 price tags, it has also become a default gift option for holidays with happy results.

Given the popularity and longevity of this light, I've been surprised not to find solid numbers for its color temperature. Has anyone tested it? I can compare it to known lights but in the least, I'd like a more accurate ballpark figure for discussion purposes.

Cosmodragoon

Newly Enlightened
I'm new at this but mine seems too yellow for 5000K. My Klarus P20 is supposed to be 5000K and is much whiter, though I'm not sure if the diffuser has an effect. I have a Jaxman M2 that is supposed to be 4300K and the color is much closer, though I'm not sure if the brightness difference affects my perception.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree it is too warm for 5000K. The Lightstar 80 is whiter than my Malkoff M61NLL(CREE) but not as white as my M31NLL Nichia 219BV2. The M61NLL is supposed to be 4000K and I think the 219 is listed as the same but obviously there is a difference between the two drop-ins. Using this comparison I would guess the Lightstar is pretty close too 4000K maybe a little over.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually do have one, got it as part of a bundle sale.

ip9vpsk.png

Last edited:

Cosmodragoon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! It's very interesting to see an actual number of 3800ish. The pale yellow is warmer than I thought! Another surprise is that the "high CRI" is only 77. I feel like I see color quite well with it. Seeing the conspicuous absence of R9 on the graph convinced me to google it. I'm really glad I joined this forum!