Malkoff        
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Post Your Rotary Settings

Default Re: Post Your Rotary Settings

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    I've taken to HDS programming.
    me too.. :-)
    some people like command line interface, aka MS-DOS, some prefer Mac (and WinDoze)
    HDS clicky is like MS-DOS, the Rotary is like a Mac, the UI "for the rest of us"

What ARE your (NotRotary) settings?:-)

(maybe we should try to continue responding to the Original Topic of this thread)
    Last edited by jon_slider; 10-11-2018 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    It is exactly why we changed it... we decided at SHOT when people would come by the booth and pick up a light and click it like they were trying to make it orgasm or like it was the controller for some video game.
    LOL! This is exactly what I did when I got my first used Rotary.
    Knowing nothing, I apparently double or triple clicked it and (lo and behold) the rotary function was gone...turned the tail...no level change...WTF? It’s broken! I cursed out that no-good shyster for selling me his defective light...then I cursed out HDS for building a light that could go defective in the first place...then I cursed out all makers of everything for building defective stuff...then my lovely spouse said:

“Does it have instructions.....?”

Then I read the instructions...
    I only fear that if something happens to me, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Lol 😂 every and all HDS lights take some getting used to before it becomes second nature. My 3 year old learned all by herself to use my legacy U60 so well she can triple click it to go to lowest setting and double click it press for maximum. That was a proud day for me my friends 😂😂😂
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyh View Post
    LOL! This is exactly what I did when I got my first used Rotary.
    Knowing nothing, I apparently double or triple clicked it and (lo and behold) the rotary function was gone...turned the tail...no level change...WTF? It’s broken! I cursed out that no-good shyster for selling me his defective light...then I cursed out HDS for building a light that could go defective in the first place...then I cursed out all makers of everything for building defective stuff...then my lovely spouse said:

“Does it have instructions.....?”

Then I read the instructions...
    I did something similar on my first time trying to program, really screwed it up and had to do a factory reset, read the advanced manual, and ask questions in the main thread. I initially thought i really messed it up.
    I have a couple programmed now, kept some stock (before the new factory programming)
    One day i will get the motivation to mess around with some of them, currently always too busy working, testing other lights, playing stupid games on the phone, spending time with the family...here on the forum, etc. So the last thing on my mind is programming an HDS. Luckily I have rotaries so I can just use the rotary function and all is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Lol  every and all HDS lights take some getting used to before it becomes second nature. My 3 year old learned all by herself to use my legacy U60 so well she can triple click it to go to lowest setting and double click it press for maximum. That was a proud day for me my friends 
    My 3yr old daughter has her moms hands, so she hasn't quite got enough finger strength to make a good solid click yet. She usually doesn't get to play with the HDS lights. The other night when I brought them all out to play with and list a few on the market; 3yr old daughter and 5yr old son wanted to run around the house playing with them.

Of course they want to shine them in everyone's eyes...so I had to turn down the brightness. HDS Rotary is my 5yr old's favorite light....he must have daddy's taste. My 15yr old doesn't care about anything but video games and his phone. other kids are grown up and live out of state. Have a Granddaughter from ea of my 2 oldest boys.

Anyway, must have been a great moment for you..kids are great while they are little...amazing little creatures that bring a lot of different emotions, enjoyment, etc to our lives....then they get to be older

Unenlightened

Just recently bought my first rotary. (And now i want more )
    First time i tried programming i had the same problem as Johnnyh mentioned.
    Did a hard reset and used it on the factory settings for a while.

Tried some programming again tonight,and got used to it pretty quick.
    Really regret not buying hds lights years sooner now.

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    I believe the HDS blinks five times then goes into locator flash after it has an orgasm...

But yes, most people don't want to learn how to use their flashlight. I was previously in that crowd, which is surprising considering how well I've taken to HDS programming.
    That's a pretty narrow-minded view of "most people". Speaking as the official representative of "most people" , the actual explanation is that we don't expect something like a flashlight to be particularly complicated. When "most people" press the power switch, they expect light to come out of the end with the glass lense on it; that's the limit of their expectations, and thus also the limit of their thoughts on the matter.

For my part, I certainly appreciate (and use!) multiple brightness settings, but the HDS Clicky "morse code" UI is more complicated than necessary. Most multi-mode lights have a multi-tap interface that cycles through brightness settings in one direction, and that works fine. Some (vastly inferior) lights use the same programming in combination with a twisty switch, to implement a multi-twist UI that wears out the threads, but that is a rant for another thread. The "morse code" UI does allow direct access to a specific brightness setting without having to cycle through all the others and potentially blind yourself in the process, but there are more intuitive ways to implement that functionality. (by "intuitive" I mean "people who haven't been practicing with a specific brand of flashlight for the past decade can still figure it out without needing to RTFM".)

A rotary dial is a much more intuitive way to allow direct mode access, and HDS was smart to offer a Rotary model. A rotary dial also eliminates any need for last-mode memory, because the dial "remembers" the last mode by virtue of its physical position. A rotary dial also eliminates any need for a power-draining soft-switch to allow pre-selecting the brightness setting before the light turns on, because you can turn the rotary dial to pre-select the brightness setting even if the light has a mechanical switch that physically breaks the power circuit. Much to my irritation, Jetbeam/Niteye/Nitecore have essentially abandoned the same rotary-dial interface they helped popularize, perhaps because it required a "tactically incorrect" underhand hold to easily adjust the ring; I have to give credit to HDS' rotary-tail design because the brightness can be adjusted without having to shift the light out of a "tactical" overhand hold first.

I like my HDS Rotary and I plan to keep it, but I also recognize that its evolution from the Clicky brought with it some vestigial design choices that are now obsolete, as is the case with all evolved things. The soft-switch and the "morse-code" UI are relics of the Clicky, and I suspect "most people" who like those features would be happier with a Clicky rather than a Rotary to begin with.

- - -

...aaaaand another thing: I fixed the problem of the HDS Rotary not coming with a pocket clip:

Last edited by fyrstormer; 10-19-2018 at 12:10 AM.

I think you've managed to post in the wrong thread.
    The thread discussing the relative merits of the the two interfaces is here...
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...or-Team-Rotary

This thread discusses your Rotary Settings.

P

Yes but it is more entertaining😄
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    I think you've managed to post in the wrong thread.
    The thread discussing the relative merits of the the two interfaces is here...
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...or-Team-Rotary

This thread discusses your Rotary Settings.

P
    Indeed. I guess it's a good thing I wasn't the person who took the thread off-topic in the first place. You can thank Modernflame and our Fearless Leader Archimedes for that.

Anyway, my rotary settings are factory-stock, and they work fine that way. I've read the instructions for changing them and I can't think of any reason to actually do so.
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 10-19-2018 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    I've read the instructions for changing them and I can't think of any reason to actually do so.
    Congrats on your new Rotary, and major respect for your pocket clip solution! Youre a brave man to tap new holes..

atm your factory config has no access to Blinkies.. I suggest you program the triple click for Fast Strobe (it was Factory Default on previous versions)..

ime, its nice to have a Strobe option, as a pedestrian crossing the street in high traffic areas. After dark, I shine the strobe on my legs, not at the driver. During the day, I do wave it at oncoming traffic, to get their attention without blinding them..
    Last edited by jon_slider; 10-19-2018 at 03:59 PM.

Yeah, there's nothing like drilling and tapping a brand-new Very Expensive Thing to make you question your sanity. Fortunately it turned out well.

- - -

In 10 years of owning high-end flashlights, I've never used a strobe mode for anything at all. If I want to get someone's attention, I just turn the light on and wiggle it side-to-side. Even seeing the backscatter from a strobe in my peripheral vision is unpleasant.

For your purposes, crossing crosswalks at night, I'd recommend doing the same thing I do. Strobes are highly disorienting at night (hence their popularity for "self defense"), even if they aren't pointed in the driver's face. A disoriented driver is a dangerous driver, because unlike a disoriented pedestrian, a car doesn't stop moving just because its driver is disoriented. (insert rant about blinding police strobes here)
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 10-19-2018 at 05:44 PM.

I absolutely agree with this. Strobe is useless unless both your arms are broken. The noise level at my work hovers at 90-100 decibels and I use my light all the time to get my guys attention. Waving it back and forth works better then the strobe.

I mentioned setting strobe to Preset D because it is related to the topic of Rotary Settings.

Did not mean to create a hijack about the pros and cons of strobe use..
    if anybody cares about staying on topic... maybe start a new thread about strobes ;-)

I think we can safely discuss topics which are immediately tangential to the original topic as long as they don't overwhelm the original topic. My original complaint about going off-topic was related to people posting in this thread to say they didn't like the topic, which seems...petty.

Anyway, it seems like HDS has done a pretty good job of setting up the Rotary's stock configuration. I infer from the low number of strictly-on-topic posts in this thread that most HDS Rotary owners are content with using the stock configuration.

HDS Rotary owners are content with using the stock configuration.
    yes, new HDS buyers are content with the new Factory Presets
    but
    there is more than one "Stock" Rotary configuration

the 2018 config is
    Preset A Max
    Preset B Rotary
    Preset C Rotary
    Preset D Rotary
    Options:
    Turn On Preset = On B, Rotary
    Automatic Turn Off = Off
    Button Lockout = Off
    Locator Flash = Off
    Pseudo Momentary = Off
    True Momentary = Off
    Burst = On
    Menus = On

Prior to 2018 the Stock Rotary configuration is
    Preset A Max
    Preset B Rotary
    Preset C Slow Strobe (bike flasher)
    Preset D Fast Strobe (disorienting Tactical Strobe)
    Options:
    Turn On Preset = On B, Rotary
    Automatic Turn Off = Off
    Button Lockout = Off
    Locator Flash = Off
    Pseudo Momentary = Off
    True Momentary = Off
    Burst = On
    Menus = On

basically all HDS Rotaries prior to 2018 have blinky presets, and ALL HDS Rotaries turn on at Rotary function..

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post
    I always set my Rotary functions to this:

A = Level 24 (max 200 lm)
    B = Rotary (turn on)
    C = Pulsating Strope
    D = Tactical Strobe

Turn On Preset = Off
    Automatic Turn Off = On
    Button Lockout = On
    Locator Flash = Off
    Pseudo Momentary = On
    True Momentary = On
    Burst = On
    Menus = On
    As you can see from Hogos post, he uses the Pre-2018 Factory Preset Defaults, although not the default Options.

I think Rotary newbies do stick with the Factory presets, for a while. Advanced users tend to customize their Options, and Presets..

I think this thread has the potential to reveal many subtle differences in Programming options, but many advanced users dont bother sharing their presets. It is to be expected that newbies will start off getting used to their new Rotary by keeping the Factory defaults, until they become more familiar with their light ;-)

One advantage of carrying two HDS lights is that you get, in effect, eight presets. It may seem like redundancy, or even over kill, but I always have two with me and I think of them as one flashlight system. For example, I personally don't have a lot of use for blinky modes, but having "eight" presets allows me to have one ready without sacrificing another option. When I had my rotary, I used its D setting for the pulsating strobe.

Two are one, right?
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

“I think this thread has the potential to reveal many subtle differences in Programming options, but many advanced users dont bother sharing their presets. It is to be expected that newbies will start off getting used to their new Rotary by keeping the Factory defaults, until they become more familiar with their light ;-)”

The only one that can set up your light is you.its pretty simple to set each preset to the desired output. But that can only be done by you.im not sure why seeing how someone else has there’s set up can help you with your personal light.just think how where you plan on using it and adjust to whatever level is right for you.

^^ that’s why I just leave mine in programming mode and go on the fly. Whatever I need at the time is right there for me.
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

Your Friendly Hijack Detection Officer wants you to know:
    this thread asks for your Rotary settings.. that is not just the 4 presets..
    I respect everyone has different preferences
    If you dont have a Rotary, I think it would still be good to share your Clicky settings.. again, not just the 4 Presets

Henry has designed an interface that is extremely versatile, and he configures his lights for various different application priorities, including Tactical, Bicycle, EDC.. etc, with and without blinkies, with and without Momentary, etc

use this template if you want to make a contribution that is on topic.. or at least, try to make part of your post On Topic
    Post Police over and out.. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by broonzbane View Post
    Post your settings! Here's mine:

A = Level 24 (max 300 lm)
    B = Rotary (turn on)
    C = Level 7
    D = Tactical Strobe

Turn On Preset = Off
    Automatic Turn Off = On
    Button Lockout = On
    Locator Flash = On
    Pseudo Momentary = On
    True Momentary = Off
    Burst = On
    Menus = On

broonzbane
    I also change my brightness presets and other options, depending on my whim at the time.. here is the setup for my latest Novatac, a Gold Storm w N219b 4500k 9080

A = Level 24 (max 300 lm)
    B = Minimum (as if a Rotary was set to minimum)
    C = 20 lumens
    D = Tactical Strobe

Turn On Preset = Off
    Automatic Turn Off = On
    Button Lockout = Off
    Locator Flash = Off
    Pseudo Momentary = Off
    True Momentary = Off
    Burst = n/a
    Menus = On

my reasoning: (changes based on time of day)
    triple click strobe for crossing the street
    minimum for nightstand duty
    20 lumens for most of my EDC needs, with the option to use Maximum at the press of a button
    shut off timer so I can go to sleep with the light on
    Force Preset off so I can memorize Preset C during the day, and Preset B at bedtime
    Last edited by jon_slider; 10-21-2018 at 11:55 AM.

Enlightened

Attempting to follow instructions because I didn’t all day at work...

B = rotary, which I typically return to near minimum
    C = Varies between 17-20, currently 18.
    D = Tactical Strobe (I think. Never used. Might if I could make it candle mode.)

Turn On Preset = Off
    Automatic Turn Off = On
    Button Lockout = Off
    Locator Flash = On
    Pseudo Momentary = On
    True Momentary = Off

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyInTheSun View Post
    if I could make it candle mode.
    I don't think candle can be set to triple click, but imo, thats a good suggestion!

Back in 2014 Candle was at 5 clicks (currently its at 9 clicks):

Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    I'm old, cranky, and don't like private messages. Please don't private message me as that is reserved for moderators giving me warnings that I rightly deserve. Thank you.

Received a 2011 Rotary 200 xpg cool white

Did the 20 click to enable customization and left it ON

My Customization Results:
    A Maximum
    B Rotary
    C 19 lumens
    D Fast Strobe

Turn On Preset = ON for Preset B
    Automatic Turn Off = OFF
    Button Lockout = OFF
    Locator Flash = OFF
    Pseudo Momentary = OFF
    True Momentary = OFF
    Burst = On
    Menus = On

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyInTheSun View Post
    Attempting to follow instructions because I didn’t all day at work...

B = rotary, which I typically return to near minimum
    C = Varies between 17-20, currently 18.
    D = Tactical Strobe
    I use these settings on my rotaries also..

Almost indestructible in this configuration:

Last edited by indigon; 11-20-2018 at 10:30 AM.
    "Do yourself a favor, pick up an HDS Rotary and EDC it for a week.. -You can thank me later."

Indistinguishable you mean. 😂😂😂

You should add a few layers of bubble wrap just to be safe. Are you really afraid one of the most nuke-proof lights on the market will break even though you haven't managed to scratch the anodizing yet, or do you just really like accessorizing?

- - -

Back on topic, I've been using my Rotary for over a month now with the stock settings and they've been perfect. I'd prefer a slightly-less-exponential curve in the rotary dial settings, but it's nothing I can't live with.

I've been using my Rotary for over a month now with the stock settings and they've been perfect.
    which stock settings? B, C and D all on Rotary is the latest iteration.
    I dont know what version your light is, the stock settings have changed over time.

I bought mine new from HDS a month ago, so I'm using the latest and greatest stick settings.

I bought mine new from HDS a month ago, so I'm using the latest and greatest stick settings.
    cool, enjoy your Pure Rotary UI!

your experience is a testament to how effective the Rotary interface is, all on its own

fwiw, there are 2 more customizable settings available
    Preset C: double click and
    Preset D: triple click

I especially encourage you to explore customizing Preset C to 20 or 30 lumens.. Because double click will also toggle between your Rotary setting, Preset B, and Preset C.

This is part of the brilliance of HDS.. with a simple double click, we can cycle a close range lower mode, and a longer range medium mode. I find this toggle pair option, very useful, in addition to the Pure Rotary UI..

You should add a few layers of bubble wrap just to be safe. Are you really afraid one of the most nuke-proof lights on the market will break even though you haven't managed to scratch the anodizing yet, or do you just really like accessorizing?
    Thanks for your concerns grasshopper, appreciate it.

I'm not worried about the light.

I do worry when the light goes adrift in a transport, cockpit etc. which happens often. They can and will do damage to whatever they bang into. As an added bonus the doubled vinyl rubber caps are super comfortable in my linebacker-sized hands and I always know which end is up when I need it in a hurry, which is most of the time..

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    cool, enjoy your Pure Rotary UI!

your experience is a testament to how effective the Rotary interface is, all on its own

fwiw, there are 2 more customizable settings available
    Preset C: double click and
    Preset D: triple click

I especially encourage you to explore customizing Preset C to 20 or 30 lumens.. Because double click will also toggle between your Rotary setting, Preset B, and Preset C.

This is part of the brilliance of HDS.. with a simple double click, we can cycle a close range lower mode, and a longer range medium mode. I find this toggle pair option, very useful, in addition to the Pure Rotary UI..

Hope everyone had a good Turkey day!

My settings:

A Maximum

B Rotary
    C 19 lumens
    D Fast Strobe

(Novatac caps + Streamlight 1L/2L clip)

Last edited by indigon; 11-23-2018 at 09:00 AM.
    "Do yourself a favor, pick up an HDS Rotary and EDC it for a week.. -You can thank me later."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast