Lightweight 1xAAA EDC no-twist flashlight with moonlight mode?

mihlit

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm looking for small flashlight for EDC. I don't need much and don't even expect "long" emergencies, so I want something small and most importantly light. The EDC pouch I carry is quite small anyway.

What I'm looking for:
* 1xAAA battery
* moonlight mode (mode with <= 1.5 lm)
* can be turned on in moonlight mode
* empty weight <= 25 g (0.9oz)
* no twist switch (I have bad experience with it)

nice bonus:
* if it accepts 10440 (benefit only if it has proper current control and moonlight mode still stays bellow 1.5 lm)
* neutral white, not cold white

price limit $ 99

Right now, I use Thrunite Ti3 NW which I like very much. It's featherlight and has good distribution of modes (levels). BUT the twist switch is an issue. I carry it loosely laying at the bottom of my small EDC pouch. When I take it out it's in one of two states. Either with completely drained battery or loosened up and in several pieces. I've fixed it with a small piece of paper isolating the battery, so it won't power on accidentally. I'd like a flashlight that can survive at the bottom of the pouch and I can take it out and use it immediately. Is there anything that would meet my requirements? What I found was a few "maybes" and all of them discontinued. Nothing that would be better than the Ti3.

EDIT:

Considered (and rejected):
Lumintop Tool - no moonlight mode (called moonlight, but way too strong)
Manker E02 - too heavy (35g empty, while Ti3 is 11.5g)
Ultratac K18 - no moonlight mode (called moonlight, but way too strong)

"Maybes":
Thorfire pf03 - ordered, will test (update: still waiting for order to arrive)

Discontinued and not available:
Thorfire Ti5

EDIT:
After looking at the suggestions and googling, I've ended with a Frankenstein combination:
Thrunite Ti3 head on Lumintop Tool AAA body.

Last edited:

pc_light

Enlightened
What I'm looking for:
* 1xAAA battery
* moonlight mode (mode with <= 1.5 lm)
* can be turned on in moonlight mode
* empty weight <= 25 g (0.9oz)
* no twist switch (I have bad experience with it)

nice bonus:
* if it accepts 10440
* neutral white, not cold white
price limit $ 99

The Ultratac K18 seems to meet most criteria, no Moonlight but does have a Low of 4 Lumens for 40 hrs.
It's a sideclicky light that takes 10440 and available from some vendors w/neutral Nichia219c for less than $25.

mihlit

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the tips, but they don't really meet the "must haves"
The Ultratac K18 seems to meet most criteria, no Moonlight but does have a Low of 4 Lumens for 40 hrs.
Sometime, I want to check something in a house and don't want to wake up anyone. 4 lm moonlight is way too strong for that.

Manker E02 meets all your criteria if you don't mind a 90degree light
Accidentally, I got it delivered yesterday, because I was curious about it. The UI is nice, but man it's heavy for such a small light. I just weighted them both today. Ti3 is 11.5 g (0.4oz) empty, E02 is 35g (1.2oz) empty. I try to keep everything I carry lightweight and because there are 1AAA flashlights in 11-15g range, I don't want to unnecessarily carry something that weights three times that much.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get a Peak Eiger with an optional Momentary Switch. You still have to twist for permanent on, but the Momentary is at the back.

Tell us what your problem is with twisties? I find them much more reliable than click switches, apart from my HDSs I have them on all my lights.
P

mihlit

Newly Enlightened
Tell us what your problem is with twisties? I find them much more reliable than click switches

I wrote at in my first post. I don't carry on a clip, but at the bottom of by EDC pouch (it's small pouch, so not that much of a problem). After some time I find my twisty flashlight either with completely drained battery OR apart, in pieces. Depends how much I've (un)screwed it. That's why I don't trust twist switch.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
My TiS (the stainless steel version of the Ti3) has not come apart nor activated a single time unintentionally. It must be due to the superior threading, building materials and construction.

The only thing I have had to do is occasionally screw down the LED board pill which can unscrew after frequent uses, other than that flawless in every way.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like you need an old mjp extreme III. Twisty, but tighten for off. Progressive twist on with programmable brightness.
Member Genna has some for sale in the marketplace.
anything with a switch is going to be substantially heavier., although wi.th AAA format I think battery chemistry makes the most difference.

mihlit

Newly Enlightened
Thorfire pf03. 10440, moon as a first mode, good ~300 lumen max, clicky, optional clip, ip68
That looks nice, especially for the price. $9 on Ali, will give it a try (I will still look for more alternatives). Should it really accept 10440? Or is it based on luck? Here http://budgetlightforum.com/node/43286 one user succeeded, one fried it.

My TiS (the stainless steel version of the Ti3) has not come apart nor activated a single time unintentionally. It must be due to the superior threading, building materials and construction.
Without the o-ring, my Ti3 has quite significant play, so it could be that the threads are not as good as could be. I'd like titanium Thrunite Ti (not as EDC, but to add to my collection), but it seems its discontinued.

It sounds like you need an old mjp extreme III. Twisty, but tighten for off. Progressive twist on with programmable brightness.
If I understand it correctly, it's no longer made? I don't buy things for EDC that I can't buy again if needed. Also for "not sure how it will work" it's too expensive to just give it a try.
Anyway, that tighten to off twist switch seems like an interesting idea, I've never heard about it before. Live 'n learn :)

LetThereBeLight!

Enlightened
I'm not sure if the Lumintop Tool AAA's lowest mode meets your criteria, but it will accept a 10440. Be warned that it cannot take regular AAAs if you use a 10440. I'm also not sure if it's recommended it take a 10440 but many utilize it with one.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Never heard of issues like that with twist lights. They've proven to be more reliable than switched lights, in my experience.

If you're really having issues with it coming apart all by itself, install a slightly larger o-ring.

mihlit

Newly Enlightened
Maybe it's just for my Ti3 and other twist lights are different (better), but when I screw it so the head just covers whole o-ring, I can push or bend the light a way it turns on.

mihlit

Newly Enlightened
For those looking for similar EDC flashlight and those interested what I've bought. After looking at the suggestions and googling, I've ended with a Frankenstein combination:
Thrunite Ti3 head on Lumintop Tool AAA body. It fits well (does not fit the other way round. Tool head on Ti3 body does not work, the thread part is too short).
It's only a week, but so far, I'm satisfied with the result.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those looking for similar EDC flashlight and those interested what I've bought. After looking at the suggestions and googling, I've ended with a Frankenstein combination:
Thrunite Ti3 head on Lumintop Tool AAA body. It fits well (does not fit the other way round. Tool head on Ti3 body does not work, the thread part is too short).
It's only a week, but so far, I'm satisfied with the result.

Finally got a couple neutral Tools and discovered the the Ti3 and T01 heads will work with the Tool body myself (hadn't read this thread before today). The Tools I have are specials from Massdrop with Nichia 219s that start on low. Very nice so far but they use the electronic switch and I am concerned it may not hold up long term and eat batteries after looking at some reviews.

The standard Tool doesn't seem to be available with the Nichia 219 anymore and starts on med anyway IIRC. In short I decided to order several regular Tools and neutral Ti3s to Frankenstein some Tools as well. Just wondered if the "combo" light is still working out for you?

mihlit

Newly Enlightened
Yes, it's still working fine. It's the best so far. I'm still looking for somehting to improve this, because even hardened aluminium isn't the best material for edc pocket carry. But did not find anything interesting made of titanium yet. (And I've tried... my wallet could tell... :D )

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to hear! I received my recently ordered Tools and Ti3 this morning and unfortunately the threads/size don't match up. All the lights are fine in their own right but the two Ti3s are V2 and they are larger in diameter than the Tools so the head of the V2 will not "lego" with the Tool body.:sigh: Fortunately I have a couple older neutral Ti3s that do match up but I wanted to put the info out for anybody else interested in the same combo.

Massdrop does have a blue titanium Tool with the Nichia 219B that starts on low (5 lumen) but it doesn't have moonlight. You might be able to mitigate the output somewhat with a diffuser. The titanium models also use the electronic switch though so that could be an issue eventually. Not sure if the aluminum parts will "lego" with titanium but that kind of defeats the purpose of the titanium light to begin with anyway.