• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Olight magnetic chargers compared

Wonder

Newly Enlightened
Comparing S2R Baton, S1R Baton II and Micro-Dok III chargers. All measurements are taken using a UMC25C USB DMM or Fluke DMM. Power was supplied by a Cyberpower 1500PFCLCD UPS USB port that is capable of approximately 1.5a at 5v. The load used was an Olight S30RIII with it's factory new 3500 mAH battery PN ORB-186C35. Internal cell resistance was 66 mohm's fresh out of the box. The starting voltage of the cell was 3.62 volts. End voltage after the first round of testing and a 20 minute rest was 3.66 volts. Each charger was tested twice. S2R, S1RII, S30RIII repeat. Each test was run only long enough for the amperage to stabilize, less than 60 seconds. The difference between the test runs was so small I did not bother with further testing or averaging the 2 test runs together. I also tested the chargers with the cell at 4.01v Fluke DMM/80% charge per my Xtar Dragon VP4 Plus. Note I used a nylon washer to protect against shorts due to the custom 18650 cell.

Tests started with the cell at 3.62 volts measurements taken after voltage/amperage stabilized less than 60 seconds

S2R 5.009v / .7880a

S1RII 4.998v / .8462a

Micro-Dok III 4.997v / .8583a

Tests started with the cell at 4.01 volts 80% charged measurements taken after 2 minutes

S2R 5.020v / .7008a

S1RII 4.985v / .9383a

Micro-Dok III 5.048v / .5161a

Once the tests were complete I left the S30RIII charging on the Micro-Dok III charger. I got lucky and caught termination. 4.16v measured with Fluke DMM which is low but safe. I then connected the light to the S2R charger and it showed near instant termination same voltage. As a final test I tried the S2R Baton II charger and it continued charging and cut off at 4.22 volts. Slightly high but OK as far as my understanding goes which is somewhat limited. Internal resistance did not change much if at all 66 mohm before and 68 mohm after for what it's worth. These chargers are a sample of one though I would bet other samples would test the same or similar.

Keep in mind that the voltage and amperage readings are at the input to the charger not what the battery actually see's. All this testing proves is the amperage draw differences between chargers not the actual charge rate. Also it does not take into account the efficiency of the chargers though I doubt it's a factor in the results.

IMO all three chargers are fine for charging larger cells such as 18650's but I really question using them on RCR123a cells as others have also stated. If I had to charge RCR123a powered lights like the original S1R Baton I would use the Micro-Dock III charger as it has the lowest charge current near the end of charge where it matters most. If I did not have a Micro-Dock III charger i would use the S2R charger. For 18650 cells I would choose the new charger supplied with the S1R Baton II as it terminates when the cell is fully charged. The new charger should charge the IMR 16340 cell in the S1R Baton II just fine as IMR's can handle more current.

The S2R charger is the same as most Olight chargers supplied with R model lights like the original S1R Baton, H1R Nova etc. The updated charger that comes with the new S1R Baton II has higher charge current than the original charger. I see no need for the added amperage though it does terminate correctly. I wish Olight would make a magnetic charger that charges under 500 mAh. Better yet 300 mAh. Reason being I could care less about charging time and only care about cell longevity. A switch would be even better say 250/750mA or similar.
Keep in mind I'm no expert and your millage may vary.

Update: I decided to test using my S1R Baton Turbo S with its factory cell PN ORB-163C05 as it uses a more common RCR123a cell. All other test parameters are the same.

Tests started with the cell at 3.66 volts 31% charged measurements taken after voltage/amperage stabilized less than 60 seconds

S2R 5.006v / .7875a

S1RII 4.993v / .8835a

Micro-Dok III 5.028v / .6460a

Tests started with the cell at 3.83 volts 75% charged measurements taken after 2 minutes

S2R 5.010v / .7828a

S1RII 4.989v / .9163a

Micro-Dok III 5.040v / .5743a

Once the tests were complete I left the S30RIII charging on the Micro-Dok III charger. At 4.09 volts the charge current started dropping rapidly to less then 300ma by changing to CV charging I would guess. The charge terminated at 4.18 volts. Not 100% charged but close.

The results look very similar to the 18650 results and they should. These chargers (any charger) have no idea what capacity cells are being charged. It is possible to determine cell capacity automatically but as far as I know no charger manufacture does this correctly at this point in time. It would take a very advanced algorithm which would cost a lot of money. If you care about cell life at all I would never use the S1R Baton II charger to charge RCR123a cells. The IMR 16340 cells used in the S1R Baton II or future Olight lights that use IMR 16340 cells should work well the S1R Baton II's supplied charger. Charging 18650 cells with the S1R Baton II charger should work well and and not shorten the cells life. The best bet would be to use the Micro-Dok III on all compatible magnetic charging lights. If the light sees very limited use I would charge RCR123a cells externally from the light using a quality charger at .25C to .5C and no more than .5C AKA 1/2 the rated capacity. So a 650mAh cells max charging rate would be .325a (650 x .5 = 325). Many chargers do not have low enough charging rates to stay at or below .5C. Any charge rate below 500ma should extend cell life beyond what is possible with any magnetic charger Olight currently sells. Note: all of the above is only my opinion. The end user needs to decide if this info is valid or not. Also this testing was not extensive by any means and hopefully someone with way more knowledge and better equipment than I will perform more thorough testing on these chargers at some point in time. I'd sure like to hear Olights thoughts on this subject.

I hope this info is helpful, any comments or criticism welcome.
Bill

Last edited:

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for taking the time to perform the tests.

I don't have much expertise in this area, but I use the Olight USB charger while working on the road, and I use my XTAR Dragon VP4 Plus at home.

I have the new S1R Baton II, and the Mini Valkyrie PL as well.

Wonder

Newly Enlightened
No problem at all. I wanted to know which charger was better for my needs. I had fun doing the testing and thought I would share the results.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
The older first gen magnetic charging baton lights came with different charging docks depending on the cell type. They were:

S10R Baton: 500mA dock (battery: 16340)
S30R Baton: 750mA (battery: 18650)
(I didn't have the rechargeable 14500 version so I don't know what dock it came with)

My new S30R Baton III (replacement for faulty S30R, thank you Olight!) came with Micro-Dok III.
I think Olight standardise on the higher charging current across all current Olights because modern 16340 li-ion cells can take the current. It may result in reduced cycle life however.

Wonder

Newly Enlightened
Good to know thanks for the info. It sucks there are no model names/numbers/spec's on them like there is on the Universal magnetic charger.

Last edited: