Setup for difficult backcountry navigation

Mjmorningstar

Newly Enlightened
Hi Folks,

Candlepowerforums helped immensely in guiding me towards the right illumination tools back in 2011. We live, work and explore in an off-grid backcountry environment where the recommended Zebralight H51Fc's, Jetbeam PA40s and Eneloops have served us well. We later purchased H52Fc's for hiking an backpacking (we're trekking a minimum of several days a week).

Recently, in a fairly rugged and difficult to get to spot in the Trinity Alps Wilderness, my wife and I came across a hiker who was having a life threatening medical crisis at nightfall. In an effort to get out of the wilderness and get cell reception to summons help, we spent a very difficult and frustrating night navigating scree and boulder fields and struggled with route finding. We just had the H52Fc's, no flashlights, and, in the verbeage of today, it was a complete "fail". We needed way more illumination at close, mid, and far distances. It's also been decided that a Garmin InReach device will be accompanying us.

I've perused the forum for day's and am asking for confirmation or alternatives to the setup I'm considering.
-18650 powered lights.
- Headlamps H600Fc seems like the high powered equivalent to the H52Fc's but I'm open, also version II, III, VI?
- Flashlights A single 18650 that can throw way farther than the headlamp. I'd like to stay with Zebralamp but am open to others

I do prefer a more "natural" light to discern colors better. It seams like I recall there being a difference between the H51 and H52s, with one being a tad bit "cooler". I prefered that to the "warmer" one.

Thanks in Advance

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
So nomenclature wise, it looks like you have a AA powered H51/52 Zebralight Flood (F) high CRI (C) model. It sounds like you need more light with that light reaching further out there. That should be pretty eady to achieve within the Zebra ecosystem, especially if you're willing to go with an 18650 light.

The H6xx series lights are going to run on 18650s and will all put out more light than the H5x series lights. If you want more reach, avoid the flood models such as the H604 and H600F and stick with the standard H600. The newest version is the mark IV which comes with a XHP35 led and puts out around 1500 lumens on high.

As for preferring cooler light, the High CRI version you have is likely warmer than non-high CRI models. The cool white version of the H600 Mk IV is rated at 5700K which is cooler than you have without being "angry blue".

All in all, you're going to grt longer runtime, more light, more throw, and a tint closer to what you want. I don't see any reason to look beyond Zebralight unless you want something really throwy or just something handheld. That said, I recommnd sticking with a headlamp if your doing serious work at night.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

-G

markr6

Flashaholic
I use an older H600w with diffuser tape and sometimes pair it with my SC600w IV HI. It's a great combo. There were times when I didn't really need more than 70lm to hike comfortably, but sometimes in a new area or bushwhacking off trail, more light really puts your mind at ease. Obviously, this would be even more important in your emergency situation. You never have to run them on high, but it sure is nice to have that option of 1000+ lumens just in case. Then there's the long runtime.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get into 18650 powered lights, with a headlamp for maneuvering and hands free tasks, and a throwy handheld 18650 light to see at a distance.
Keep your AA powered Zebralight as a backup light source with a disposable lithium battery for less weight and high power.
- what you went through with the rescue is one of those times when the beacon mode of the zebralight could have been useful. Set the beacon of the AA light to high, and attach it to the victim, or up above them.

I've become really partial to the Emissar D1 as a compact handheld thrower. It has a pretty beefy aluminum head and battery tube though, about twice the mass of a Zebralight H600 headlamp, so it could certainly be lighter.

Last edited:

Mjmorningstar

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Folks,
Your advise means a lot.
We ordered H600Fc Mk4's for headlamps, and sc600w HI' Mk4's for flashlights. Will pack an extra AA light for strobe too, that's a great idea.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
And I hope you realize now that 1 light is never enough when your out in the woods/hiking. NEVER. Hell I have 3 on me when I go out for milk😊

Jethro

Newly Enlightened
I love my Nitecore HC60 for almost all my purposes. It's 1000 lumens, has a moonlight mode, 18650 powered and best of all is reasonably priced. My only cons to the light would be the user interface. I am constantly leaving it on that moonlight mode by accident, but I am getting used to it.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a conundrum when doing some back country backpacking. You want to go as light as possible, but you don't want to short change yourself by not having enough equipment. In your case, the headlamp was completely adequate until the emergency came up. I've never liked the idea of strapping an 18650 to my forehead. You hear these stories of li-ion cells venting catastrophically, so essentially you have a pipe bomb strapped to your forehead. I know the occurrence of a cell venting in a headlamp is extremely rare and probably has never been reported to happen, but I'd rather not take that chance. Especially when you're going to a place where medical help is hours away or more. What I typically do is have a couple of headlamps using AA or cr123 cells (or at least have multiple members of your group have a headlamp) and then carry a higher powered traditional flashlight in my pack. You get way more power and more variety of formats than you can get with a headlamp, and you keep the high powered cell away from your person.

Beendare

Newly Enlightened
FWIW, I've been on trails at night in the Trinities [in off Coffee Cr, used to bow hunt that a lot] and a strong beam is enough to put off many of the bears you bump in there. I think you will really like your choice.

And I hope you realize now that 1 light is never enough when your out in the woods/hiking. NEVER. Hell I have 3 on me when I go out for milk😊

Good advice, 2 for sure.

I will never forget using those old mini mag flashlights...you know, the ones that give you about 8 seconds warning before they leave you in the pitch black.

It didn't help that they were only good for about 2 hrs max. The only times I've ever been stuck out in the bush at night was because of those Mini Mags....Headlamps have been a huge improvement.