Replacement for MH12 - thinking P12GT?

WesternGuy

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a Nitecore MH12 about a year ago for use in the offroad/back country, among other places, and I really liked it. The only problem is that I have misplaced it in my house - duh? :D I know, how does that happen - I don't know, but it did. I will probably find it a year from now in a drawer, or a pack that I hardly ever use, or at the back of a shelf in a dusty corner of my basement without any idea of how it got there. Regardless, I want to replace it and am seriously thinking that an upgrade, if that is the case, to a P12GT would be a good replacement. I know nothing about LED lights in general as I bought the MH12 on the recommendation of the store guy (who seemed very knowledgeable) and a couple of folks on my local "offroad" forum. The supply of Nitecore products and other brands of LED flashlights with any kind of decent output up here in Canada is kind of limited - I can find only one supplier for Nitecore in town. Other suppliers, that I can find, do not carry products with sufficient output for my needs. The one problem I had with the MH12 was that the port where the USB charger cord was inserted would not stay closed. I solved this situation with the help of an elastic band. It is my understanding that the P12GT would not have this problem as it does not have this port, but I do have a charger for Nitecore batteries and an extra battery that I had bought for the MH12. Presumably I could use these for the P12GT. Any insight that anyone would care to share will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

WesternGuy

Arif

Newly Enlightened
More shortly - but basically the P12s are just the dog's danglies, for me.

While I get back - look up the P12GTS (latest incarnation)

Arif

Arif

Newly Enlightened
So your batteries will work fine, perfectly transferable.

I preferred the slimmer lines of the P12 series, given no need to make space for the charging circuitry. It makes it the perfect near-EDC light for me.

Last edited:

WesternGuy

Newly Enlightened
More shortly - but basically the P12s are just the dog's danglies, for me.

While I get back - look up the P12GTS (latest incarnation)

Arif

So your batteries will work fine, perfectly transferable.

I preferred the slimmer lines of the P12 series, given no need to make space for the charging circuitry. It makes it the perfect near-EDC light for me.

Arif, thanks for the responses and the insight about the batteries. I was looking at the P12GTS, but my local supplier doesn't have it in stock. He could order me one, but it could take up to 3 months to get as he only orders from China every quarter, so I have decided to go with the P12GT. Not too much difference between the GT and the GTS and he has the GT in stock.

I could order one off Amazon, however, on things like these flashlights, I prefer to deal locally as if there is a problem, I don't have any hassle, or costs, of returning it to them, I can simply drive to the local dealer and get it all settled.

WesternGuy

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP your lost MH12 compared to the in my opinion AMAZING P12GT is in my view quite a change. Why? The P12GT is one of the NEWER Nitecore designs thus is better designed and built all around. Also..the BEAM PROFILE out of the P12GT is for its size it THROWS very far. The beam profile on your old MH12 and the P12GT are VERY different. Oh heck YES the P12GT meets and in some cases actually exceeds Nitecores own ANSI ratings. Something I never thought I would say about Nitecore whom I detested a few years ago..

WesternGuy

Newly Enlightened
OP your lost MH12 compared to the in my opinion AMAZING P12GT is in my view quite a change. Why? The P12GT is one of the NEWER Nitecore designs thus is better designed and built all around. Also..the BEAM PROFILE out of the P12GT is for its size it THROWS very far. The beam profile on your old MH12 and the P12GT are VERY different. Oh heck YES the P12GT meets and in some cases actually exceeds Nitecores own ANSI ratings. Something I never thought I would say about Nitecore whom I detested a few years ago..
Why the change - when I bought my MH12, I really didn't know very much about high performance flashlights and relied on the advice of others - didn't think to go searching for forums like this - should know by now that there is a forum on almost everything on the web - lesson learned. This time, I did a bit more "research" and discovered the P12GT and the fact that its specs exceeded those of my MH12 - no contest. I am curious why you "detested" Nitecore a few years ago.

WesternGuy