Fireflies E07 (1x21700, 7x 90+ CRI emitters)

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fireflies is off to a quick start as a company. The ROT66 became an instant flashoholic's dream light come true, and is a favorite among many enthusiasts. They're currently rolling out their 1x21700 headlamp 4x optics light, the PL47. And now, they have a new toy on the block, the E07!

fZSF5oM.jpg

2NDIyoA.jpg

zNrq5U0.jpg

1x 21700 battery
7x emitters in front in 25 degree optics
aux leds on side-switch and head
Anduril UI
Fet+1 driver
112mm x 37.5mm x 26 mm
125 grams

LED choices:

Nichia 219B R9080 CRI >90
Luminus ST20 4000k CRI 95
Luminus SST20 5000k
Luminus SST20 6500k
Cree XPL HI 6500k (6900 lumens max)
Cree XPL HI 5000k

The E07 has evolved since its early prototype stages. Fireflies has added a solid 10mm thick chunk of aluminum behind its emitter board to help with heat absorption on turbo. The head now has more fins than before, with the largest being 6mm deep. The light gained 40 or so grams from its earliest prototyping. As a result, the light should handle the heat from turbo fairly well, but will still need to step down eventually.

Fireflies had 219C 5000k CRI >90 as an option from the E07's earliest stages, but that has since been replaced with the 219B R9080. Color temperature isn't given, so we don't know if it's the SW45k or SW40 or some other CCT. I'm assuming it's the same SW45K they're using in the ROT66.

Both the side switch and the head have purple aux LEDs! Very cool. There's so many great emitter choices, I can't just buy one. I'm loving the look of the gunmetal gray E07.

Attachments

• E07-3.jpg
    E07-3.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 466
  • E07-final-2.jpg
    E07-final-2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks interesting.

I would likely go one of the high CRI options.

It looks like the clip is reversible, which is good for me, since I would carry clipped bezel up in my back pocket

tyu

Newly Enlightened
Glad to see Anduril coming stock on more lights.

I prefer Narsil because of the way moonlight is activated: hold the button until moonlight comes on then quickly release.

The D4S (Anduril-like?) drives me crazy because I regularly trigger the last remembered mode by accident because I don't hold the button long enough. Moonlight comes on as soon as you start holding the button, and there's no indication when to let go for it to stay there.

*I don't have any true Anduril lights, only the D4S.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
On my ROT66 with Anduril, the light will give a subtle, single flicker (at moonlight brightness) once the adequate time is pressed for moonlight to stay on moonlight, and not accidentally activating mode memory.

For these Fet+1/Fet+3 drivers that Fireflies uses, I tend to prefer Anduril, because its configurable ramp ceiling allows you to consistently stop your ramp at the highest regulated output if you program it that way.

Last edited:

tyu

Newly Enlightened
On my ROT66 with Anduril, the light will give a subtle, single flicker (at moonlight brightness) once the adequate time is pressed for moonlight to stay on moonlight, and not accidentally activating mode memory.

Thanks for the info! Now I have no reservations about ordering one of these with the aux leds. I just wish they came in all red aux (including switch) instead of blue.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree, but would love to see it on an 18650 light with sensible output levels.

Well...the D4 has sensible output levels. It also has crazy output levels. It took me a little while to really internalize that the access to crazy output levels really doesn't diminish it's utility at lower levels.

If Hank starts shipping the D4 with Ramping IOS v3 like the D4s, then it will also gain the ability for the user to reduce the upper end of the ramp range (also used by double-click from off, but double-click from on still goes to full turbo).

Now Fireflies seems to have adding an option to the market roughly in between the D4 and D4s, but with Anduril.

Maybe next they'll do a small 16340 or 18350 light (the D4s with the short tube still is fairly large in diameter). I wouldn't even want multiple emitters for such a light, and it would be completely justified to leave out the FET for the smaller body in favor of some form of 1+N x 7135 driver.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool! Seems like what the Emisar D7 was supposed to be.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fact that Fireflies isn't listing 219B SW45K R9080 as an option for this light might be telling that they're running low on these emitters. ROT66 with the SW45K R9080 might not be available too much longer! Or I could totally be wrong.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Running low on 219B's definitely seems like a possibility. Fortunately my ROT66 with 219B's is on its way. I decided I need to stop waffling on that decision in case they do run out.

Apparently they still have enough to continue offering them on both the ROT66 and PL47 for the present time.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fireflies has a final prototype of the E07, and I updated the original post accordingly. They have listened to our wants for more heatsinking on the body, and have added a 10mm shelf behind the led board. That's basically a 10mm x 37.5mm solid chunk of aluminum to help soak up heat from the emitters for longer turbo runtimes. They also went from 4 cooling fins to 5. What has also changed is that they recessed the side-switch from the head.

NPL

Enlightened
Prototype is significantly nicer than the original rendering! Fingers crossed for an efficient buck/boost driver!

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Prototype is significantly nicer than the original rendering! Fingers crossed for an efficient buck/boost driver!

So far, they have been working with Lexel over at BLF for drivers, as far as I know, and I think Lexel's experience so far is entirely with linear regulators.

It would be great to see more boost and/or buck driver experience showing up in the modding and custom light community, though. I'm only aware of the MTN-Boost driver and the BLF GT driver at the moment.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huge update! The E07 is officially available for sale! Fireflies has published official emitter choices and product images on its site, and the E07 looks even more handsome than ever! The gray one strikes my fancy very much.

I'm also not sure which LED choice to buy, there's so many interesting options!

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the grey looks amazing!

I have the PL47 right angle light in the mail with the 219b emitters. So, I think it will be XPL HI 5000 K for this one.:twothumbs

I'm going to wait for the discount code before I order the E07.

Fireflies is on fire with thier new releases!

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah I'm thinking XPL HI 5000k as well. Make it have as much output as possible from the small form factor. Fireflies uses 3a tint bin on the 5000k as well, so there's a very good chance those will be below or at the BBL, and not over it.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably because it's more expensive to source cree emitters on their behalf, I'm not sure. SST20s are relatively cheap, and super high performing to boot.

Even with the 20 bucks addition, it's a pretty good price for the performance and quality you get with fireflies.