58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Away From Wall

52 89.66%
  • Close To Wall

6 10.34%

Thread: Proper Hanging Of TP & PT

Flashaholic*

Default Proper Hanging Of TP & PT

Sometimes I can't help myself, so please bare it[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif[/img] with me. I just gotta ask: Is there a right way to hang toilet paper or paper towel and why?

My vote is for: away form the wall, because it's easier to grab and less chance of jamming fingers into wall. Yet, in many government buildings it's the opposite. Could that be a clue as to why so much of our local and federal government seems to be in the crapper?

Yes, I have more important things to deal with but I'm attempting a little escapism.

Default Re: Proper Hanging Of TP & PT

Now I can fully understand why Sasha has to continuously deal with increasing bandwith needs. I suppose I'm making it worse by bothering to comment, but . . . . this is ridiculous.

Dave

wad or fold? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Craig will be sure to point out that you misspelled toliet paper. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Yes, this may be superfluous, Dave, butt, did you vote and I couldn't find the "toliet" spelling?

I'm curious why some hang it close to the wall. Is it for a practical reason or just because you always voted that way? I suspect that, for many, it's just a forced movement or habit. This seemingly innocuous question may explain the logic sequence we employ. Also this may help to confirm the reasoning some use when they elect politicians that hurt them.

Flashaholic*

i have this thing that sits on the floor and holds the toilet paper right @ arm's length.

it works beautifully.

keep that buttwipe away from the wall.

Enlightened

I'm curious why some hang it close to the wall. Is it for a practical reason.

If they have a cat it's for a practical reason.

I always hang TP and PTs with the end of the roll going up over the top (away from the wall). I don't have a cat, so it makes no sense to hang them backwards.
    Toliet paper, paper toliets, bath tissue, whatever you call it, it's still bungwipe. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

Hey, thanks Craig, I was hoping to get your expert input on this topic about cleaning up the output?

Like the Lieutenant sez boys, "Over the top".

About four years ago Wifey started puting it on backwards, I change it but she never changes it back. Think she's doing it just to tick me off.

If she keeps it up long enough to get to me I'll shift to plan "B" and put one of the Magical Dr. whiskypapa's Uneversal TP Holders on the wall. On wrong? Flip it over.

Any retaliation it's on to plan "EX".

Was on a water/sewer board for a couple of years, engineer said folders use less TP than wadders and a survey his Civ Eng class did showed 95% "Over the toppers" 4% underhanded and 1% other(???).

Flashaholic*

While some may feel this subject is over-the-top it also seems a little incongruous to be discussing it in a "Cafe" -yum!

"Other" might be like my wife and kids use it - just sitting on a table next to the throne. They go through so much that they don't take the time to "mount" it.

I gravitated to the basement can years ago to avoid never- having-the-necessary-supplies-at-hand-that-I-went-out-of-my-way-to-procure-in-the-first-place. The occasional spider, millipede, or noise down there keeps them away from MY bathroom and I'm never out of supplies.

Flashaholic

See the results of the poll are somewhat skewed in the wrong direction! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Those voting 'over the top' must not have kids or cats.

As an explanation, picture your 18 month - 24 month old sitting on the floor batting at the toilet paper roll. If it's 'over the top', they are able to unroll it quite easily! OTOH, 'around the back' simply spins around.

Ditto for the friendly cat.

kf

(one of the proud 'near the wall' 2!

Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

FYI I was looking at the instructions for installing toilet paper on a commercial 'lock-up' type fixture and it showed the paper going over the top. So that must be the right way [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
    At home we are an other. Ever seen an 'L' shaped holder that mounts to the wall pointing up?

Flashaholic*

I voted for away from the wall. If you have a cat, puppy, or high maintenance children you will quickly learn to do it the other way.

Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Bravo25 said:
    .... high maintenance children...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Good (or is that bad?) phrase [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif[/img]

Flashaholic

Over the top,
    The only reason to do it otherwise is to make it
    hard to use (Public RR, Etc.)

Yes, I am the expert because I am a janitor. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I used to hang over the top until the wife started buying TP with texture on one side. Now we roll the other way so that when we fold it, the grippy side is exposed in the correct difection. Like mudgrips for your butt.

Flashaholic*

I prefer the TP to come off the roll from the back side, underneath. It's just the way it was at my house growing up, so I'm used to it.

tylerdurden, wad

[ QUOTE ]
    turbodog said:
    Like mudgrips for your butt.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the funniest thing I've heard all day.

thanks for the laugh.

I'm on over the topper myself, the wife like the paper exactly opposite. I always change it, just to irk her...I'm so mean.

Why not do away with the whole paper thing anyway?

This is how we should handle a problem that's been around for a LONG time:

http://www.biobidet.com/

We have those ones (which I bought from a local plexiglass mfr. that makes custom kitchen and bath fixtures) that point straight up (like a flag pole) so it doesn't matter which way the end is facing. Cat-proof, too.

The two things I like about'em is that first of all, it's easy to change rolls (lift old tube up and off, drop new roll down the pole). Second thing is it leaves the end always hanging off at an angle, easy to find and get re-started (especially late at night in the semi-darkness).

I hate those certain brands of toliet papers that when you tear it off, the new end stays stuck on the roll and you have to spin it around to find it, a real bother when you're -- in a hurry!

I seem to recall a Star Trek episode where toilet paper didn't work too well for Klingons [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Brightnorm

Flashaholic*

This survey has flushed out the fact that many employers and public officials are out of touch (and reach) with most of us. 89% responded that they hang the wipe away from the wall. However, approximately 50% of public and work places do not. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif[/img]

Thank you to all who had the intestinal fortitude, digested this topic and deposited, here, the end-product of your cerebral processes. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif[/img]