Your government is slowly choking you

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
peroxide is a good anti-bacterial agent. The reason being that it's toxic to cells. Your cells have an enzyme that can break it down and render it into O2 and H20. Bacteria don't have this and so it kills them.

There have been some interesting preliminary studies that link things like high blood pressure and ulcers and whatnot to bacterial or viral infections of the stomach, so it's entirely possible that drinking the stuff might have had a real effect on some of that. But none of that is tested. keep in mind that another use for the stuff is to make your dog throw up that brillo pad that he ate, it might have the same effect on you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

As far as absorbing actual usable oxygen from drinking the stuff, it IS possible to absorb O2 dissolved in water, but you need gills to do it with any efficiency /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Also, peroxides are very reactive and potentially nasty cancer causing chemicals. The molecular oxygen released when it breaks down is very reactive! So you gonna up your intake of antioxidants when you're doing this? Perhaps they would cancel each other out and do nothing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, there are some studies that show that taking H202 might actually increase the expression of HIV and maybe other viruses as well. So if you have HIV or hepatitis or something you'll want to do a lot more research before you start a course of this.

If you're otherwise healthy and stick to a very low concentration of it it's probably safe to do once in a while. but I certainly don't see anything that makes me think it should be a normal part of your daily ritual.

The high concentrations of the stuff can actually be quite dangerous. You can't get anything more than about 30% commercially, but even that can create a LOT of gas if you get something into it that acts as a catalyst or get it too hot or something. It will explode due to pressure, so be careful how you store it if you get the higher concentrations of the stuff. In 60 to 90% it's actually rocket fuel! You can decompose that concentration of it into steam and heat and lift off with it.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
As far as absorbing actual usable oxygen from drinking the stuff, it IS possible to absorb O2 dissolved in water, but you need gills to do it with any efficiency /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Did anyone else see that special on the Discovery channel a few weeks ago with the baby girl that was born at 20 weeks?
Her lungs were so underdeveloped that they couldn't take the stress of a ventilator so the doctors actually filled her lungs with liquid.
Her lungs did extract the necessary oxygen from the liquid and without having to constantly inhale/exhale her lungs could relax and grow stress-free.
They'd already proved that rats could 'breathe' super-oxygenated water but she was the first human.
I think they said that the little girl is 12-years old now.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have been rinsing my mouth with 3% H2O2 at least twice a day for probably 20 years. I rarely visit the dentist, but when I do, they are ALWAYS amazed at how clean, white and plaque free my teeth are. I gargle with it when I feel a sore throat coming on, and have rarely been very sick since I started that. But I rarely swallow any, and that is by accident.

There is a bunch of 30 & 40% H2O2 down in the workshop. Combine that with a few other interesting chemicals, and I can do some pretty amazing things. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Definitely wouldn't ingest that stuff, just getting it on chapped or cut hands and the "tingle" is almost unbearable.

I once knew a fellow with a go-kart that had a jet/rocket engine that ran on 70 - 80% H2O2 over a nickel mesh catylist that (if I'm remembering correctly) could hit 180 MPH. I used to be a speed demon myself, but no way I'd ride in a go kart even half that speed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif Yikes!

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy Smokes, Batman!!!

Against all possible medical advice, this guy is taking on the medical knowledge of the entire world.

H2O2 is no longer used as a local antibacterial because study after study independantly funded by the government, universities and, yes, drug companies, showed that it actually damaged more good cells than killed bacteria and that it slowed repair.

There is NO evidence that the developed human body can absorb ANY oxygen from any membrane other than the lungs.

Bill

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie, thats cause they use the high concentration stuff also to run the turbines in some torpedoes. Lots of energy easily available on that extra oxygen bond /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GJW, yes, but it was in her lungs not in her stomach that they filled it up. And it wasn't hydrogen peroxide either. We all saw the Abyss /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill, I wasn't aware that it wasn't recommended anymore as a topical anti-bacterial or mouthwash anymore. I'll have to read up some more on that.

Empath

Flashaholic
I'm not so sure the author of this essay is credible enough. A grain of salt comes to mind. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not recommended anymore for use on open wounds. As a low concentration mouthwash it may still be a good choice for some.

Emapth, thanks! I didn't want to be the first to point that all out!

Bill

Empath

Flashaholic
Joe Vialls is interesting......for awhile. His writings are extensive, but you can get rather tired of such extensive and absolute rebellion against common knowlege and common sense.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ive always used it for cuts unless its old i use rubbing alchol or salt

Brock

Flashaholic
Ya, and chlorine is a great anti bacterial, but it doesn't taste very good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gargling peroxide won't do a thing if your cold/sore throat/whatever is viral in nature.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you could always use maggots. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

I have also heard that there is special sterile sugar that is packed into wounds that don't heal normally.

I too kind of thought the hydrogen peroxide (dilute) was good to use. Other than the stuff you buy at a drug store--I am not sure now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

And there is the old standby of using your own urine to clean a wound when you are out in the field. Doesn't sound right to use it at home though...

-Bill

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
@Raggie-You could let your dog lick it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I use triple antibiotic (like Neosporin) it really seems to aid in healing.

@ Joe Viallis-I browsed through the "make rats live longer with smoke" article. I took exception to his statement about alcohol not having adverse effect on humans. Drunk driving causes a lot of deaths, drunk requires alcohol. Also the damage to families has been extreme.

Negeltu

Enlightened
it is a myth that a dogs saliva is sterile. There have actually been many reported cases of people getting serious infections from dogs licking wounds... and ears... a dogs mouth is a very very disgusting place...full of bacteria...

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't really care what some experts say about hydrogen peroxide... 30+ years of use have convinced me differently. (Not that I believe that drinking it will do you any good)

On bad cuts and abrasions I first clean them out with 3% Hydrogen peroxide... several applications if it is really dirty. The foaming action of H2O2 when it hits blood or septic material really cleans quite well. Then, if it is pretty deep or it was a really dirty thing that I got cut on, I use a little "neosporin" or "bacitracin".

Because of some of the handcraft stuff and outdoor stuff I do (and that I'm a little clumsy) I get cut a lot. Have had to stitch myself up with needle and thread like "Rambo" did in the movie. Never had an external or oral infection that Peroxide and/or bacitracin wouldn't clear up pretty quickly.

Your results may vary: See a physician. Such treatments may only work on a nutcase like me.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
For whatever it's worth, my dermatologist prescribed it.

He removed a half inch diameter patch of skin to remove a skin cancer. Then he gave me instructions to keep it from scarring. Every day I gently scrubbed it with a q-tip soaked with hydrogen peroxide to remove any dead skin etc that was forming on the surface. Then I covered it with an anti-bacterial grease (Neosporin) until the next day. After two months, the skin grew in from the edges and closed the gap. And there is no scar.

Fortunately he's from the old school, and didn't prescribe maggots.