Olight S1R Baton II - nice upgrade from the 1st generation!

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
TL:DR - The 2nd-gen S1R Baton has lots of tons of significant upgrades making for another great EDC light....

I really liked the original S1R Baton as it has more than enough power or runtime to spare for most situations. For example, if I find an estate sale, there's always tons of tools and junk in the basement, and it's dark in there. Or I have to pick up one of my kids after a football game in the dark - the strobe makes me easy to spot. If I really had to find something in the dark, there's also enough runtime that you wouldn't have to worry. Runs off of CR123 in a pinch, but also has the built in recharging as long as you have the dongle.

The 2nd generation, S1R II is significantly improved. It's smaller (~3.5 mm shorter) lighter, (-4 grams) , brighter (+100 lumens) with a more powerful magnet on the base and has more aggressive knurling on the body. The 2-way pocket clip allows you to easily convert a baseball cap into a headlight, but is now a truly 2-way clip. The pocket clip is updated so it won't rotate on the body. The S1R II still works with regular RCR123A batteries and lithium primary cells CR123A).

I tested it with a light meter (Comparative bounce off white ceiling in basement) and the turbo definitely put out enough light to be 1000 lumens. As most turbo modes, this one is short lived. You get about 90 seconds before it steps down to 300 lumens. Similarly, the 600 lumen high setting steps down after 90 seconds also. It then gives you 300 lumens for about 45 minutes. With a new CR123A, it won't hold high and steps down to the 60 lumen after a fraction of a second. Still, 60 lumens isn't bad for something this size running from primary (non-rechargeable) batteries.

A significant change is that they have added a raised ring on the Olight battery between the positive and negative terminals - it's still possible, but much less likely that a bare battery will short out. Performance with non-Olight Lithium-ions is similar, but you won't get the built in charging without the proprietary Olight battery. One affect of this however is that you cannot recharge this battery unless you use the flashlight - or get yourself a small magnet to serve as a positive button extension (See picture).

I keep mine mechanically locked out. While you can lock out the smart switch by pressing and holding until the moonlight goes out, I prefer to simply unscrew by 1/2 a turn since the threads are anodized.

TimeOnTarget

Newly Enlightened
I really like mine too. I gave one to non flashoholic and she is finding it very useful as well.

It is pretty much one of the best all-around lights you can buy.