"Direct Drive" means "Don't try different batteries in it!"

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
During a recent, rare, Internet outage, I decided to figure out why my ancient Led Lenser 3 x AAA light ( model number 7???, don't have the original packaging and don't see it cataloged anywhere any more...it's pretty old) had stopped working. This was my first "high power" LED light, bought many years ago at a Sears store in Fargo ND. It knocked around for years, but I foolishly left batteries in it and so had to dismantle it for cleaning. I got it working again, though the battery carrier looks kind of ugly. It sat in the junk drawer of my workshop since I have more reliable flashlights that haven't yet had their innards eaten.

I had a 14450-sized LiIon cell that I'd acquired from a borken vape pen. I had a vague ideal that I could use it to turn this into a rechargeable light - I even had the charging circuit from the vape, it would have been a bit of a callenge to make it all fit but a good winter project.

Did I mention "direct drive" ?

I got one brief flash of light out of it on the LiIon, then it went dark. I ran out of time to play with it and set it aside till last week.

The miniature snap-ring pliers I bought to dismantle an AAA light were too big for that, but fit this light perfectly. I unscrewed the aluminum block holding the LED and found...just that. An LED, one lead screwed to the aluminum, the other wired to the + battery carrier contact. Not even a resistor!

Obviously the internal resistance of the AAA pack is what keeps the LED from burning out...and a vape pen battery has a very low internal resistance.

Oh well. Now the project is to a) find a suitable LED b) find some kind of driver - worst case, a series resistor! c) fit the LiIon battery and charging circuit d) figure out a way to make a teeny microUSB slot in the side of the case.

After spending months of free time I will have home-brewed a rechargeable flashlight I could buy for $30 any day of the week. Maybe I'll get a UV LED or something cool like that, to make it a little less mainstream.

Bill

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
During a recent, rare, Internet outage, I decided to figure out why my ancient Led Lenser 3 x AAA light ( model number 7???, don't have the original packaging and don't see it cataloged anywhere any more...it's pretty old) had stopped working. This was my first "high power" LED light, bought many years ago at a Sears store in Fargo ND. It knocked around for years, but I foolishly left batteries in it and so had to dismantle it for cleaning. I got it working again, though the battery carrier looks kind of ugly. It sat in the junk drawer of my workshop since I have more reliable flashlights that haven't yet had their innards eaten.

I had a 14450-sized LiIon cell that I'd acquired from a borken vape pen. I had a vague ideal that I could use it to turn this into a rechargeable light - I even had the charging circuit from the vape, it would have been a bit of a callenge to make it all fit but a good winter project.

Did I mention "direct drive" ?

I got one brief flash of light out of it on the LiIon, then it went dark. I ran out of time to play with it and set it aside till last week.

The miniature snap-ring pliers I bought to dismantle an AAA light were too big for that, but fit this light perfectly. I unscrewed the aluminum block holding the LED and found...just that. An LED, one lead screwed to the aluminum, the other wired to the + battery carrier contact. Not even a resistor!

Obviously the internal resistance of the AAA pack is what keeps the LED from burning out...and a vape pen battery has a very low internal resistance.

Oh well. Now the project is to a) find a suitable LED b) find some kind of driver - worst case, a series resistor! c) fit the LiIon battery and charging circuit d) figure out a way to make a teeny microUSB slot in the side of the case.

After spending months of free time I will have home-brewed a rechargeable flashlight I could buy for $30 any day of the week. Maybe I'll get a UV LED or something cool like that, to make it a little less mainstream.

Bill

Direct drive sucks. Kinda weird that it blew so quick on a single Li-Ion, usually takes a while for the LED to heat up and burn out. Same with NiMH and ultimate lithiums - not enough internal resistance to limit current, over driving/over heating the LED. One of the reasons you see so many 3 AAA lights is because alkaline AAA's have fairly high IR, especially with 3 in series that limits the current that they can deliver.

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
Mountain Electronics has a lot of driver boards available.

Yet another on-line candy store! Though I feel a little like I imagine a 1920's dude felt when he got his first radio parts catalog...the choices are immense and not at all obvious. Unlike him, I have access to unlimited tutorials on-line. Thank you for pointing me at that place!

Bill

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yet another on-line candy store! Though I feel a little like I imagine a 1920's dude felt when he got his first radio parts catalog...the choices are immense and not at all obvious. Unlike him, I have access to unlimited tutorials on-line. Thank you for pointing me at that place!

Bill
Also, they are very good about answering questions.