Own a telescope? You want this light!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
This is a headlamp, but I'm posting here because this is about an LED lighting solution for the application and this is where it'll get more views (but I also posted this in the headlamp forum). I am in no way affiliated with the manufacturer - this is just a "heads up" (pun not intended lol) for anyone here who owns a telescope. I actually posted this somewhere else, then thought it might be useful for some people here too...

I bought a headlamp (link at the end) with a main beam and two red LED's on either side of it.

The red LED's are intended to alert others to your presence (night jogging or biking), so they aim to the sides, but by wearing the headlamp sideways they're perfect for close up work with absolute minimal excess light (as you want when using a telescope). Then when it's time to pack up just wear it normally. An extremely minor extra step in the big picture of a telescope session...

I'd seen other models that have the reds aimed forward, but some problems I had with those were:

1. Main beams designed like typical flashlights - hotspot in the middle, intended for distance, terrible for close up work. Or no way at all to even know what the beam profile was. This one is advertised as having a wide angle beam. It's not a pure flooder ("wall of light"), it does have a bit of hotspot, but still FAR better for close work than your typical flashlight beam.

2. Three battery design. I dislike devices that use odd numbers of batteries, plus I wanted small and light as possible. I also intend to use this thing at work, so I use Eneloop rechargeables that are a lot heavier than regular batteries. This one uses 2 AAA's.

3. Either too cheap or too expensive. I wasn't going to spend over 40 bucks, nor was I going to buy something rock bottom for ten. This one was $29.

4. Most important of all for a telescope session - INDEPENDENT buttons for the main and the reds. No cycling through modes to get to the reds (as in having to first fire up the main beam). OH, and also a switch guard to prevent accidental activation.

5. No tilt adjustment. An absolute must for close work, especially when said work involves looking downward.

I imagine something else must exist that's just as good for this application, but within my above listed parameters this is PERFECT.

https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/fenix-hl15-headlamp/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.