ArmyTek        
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Sofirn C01 Potted AAA w High CRI

Post Re: Sofirn C01 Potted AAA w High CRI

For photos, and for my low light, indoor, in a car, close range, uses, I consider the hotspot to be an artifact. iow a bug, not a feature ;-)
    My Olights do this too..
    so did my Utorches, until I blacked out the shiny bezels

I took a pic of my 5600k C01, there is a shiny ring, hard to photograph.. I was holding a flashlight to illuminate the LED, against an 8x loupe, while holding an iPhone against the loupe at the same time, trying to focus on the Yuji.. things were moving around.. I need more hands..

Im not sure if the silver ring I see Inside the Yuji LED, is caused by the reflector, or if it is part of the LED construction.

if the bezel is the source
    blacking out the bezel might eliminate the hotspot, or making it shiny might create more hotspot,

Or, if the Yuji LED itself is the source, I suppose the GurdyGrit mod would eliminate the hotspot ;-)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post5226195
    Quote Originally Posted by gurdygurds View Post
    Iím not into the light scrubbing with steel wool either Iím talking heavy grit sand paper jammed in there and sanded hard and heavy!!! Check the led and if thereís any spots that arenít really raked up, then get back in there and work it.
    Im not quite ready to do that yet.
    Last edited by jon_slider; 12-21-2018 at 04:20 PM.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Sofirn C01 Potted AAA w High CRI

A quick test would be to put something temporary over the reflector, maybe a small paper cone or maybe electrical tape and see what that does. I can almost guarantee the little spot in the middle is indeed a hot spot and is a feature as the LED was placed in the middle of a somewhat shiny reflector like surface and not a blackened surface like an Infinity Ultra.
    What kind of self respecting nocturnal being cannot see in the dark, one way or another?

Quote Originally Posted by maukka
    Not a great fan of the very small hotspot
    Ö
    Iím really digging the warm Yuji now in the evening. It brings out the orange in a pair of Fiskars scissors perfectly. Almost as nice as a Viltrox LED panel.
    thanks for the spectral info
    great to see that the 5600k has such high R9
    I also love the Warm Yuji, when my brain is white balanced to the Incandescent light in my house.

Quote Originally Posted by iamlucky13
    I think the spots multiple users have documented are due to the "reflector" that isn't really intended as such. When I get mine, I might try painting the reflector on one white to see if that smooths it out.
    I think you might be right that the hotspot is caused by shiny reflector cone. I suggest you make it Flat Black, not white. Maybe sandpaper would reduce the reflectivity of the silver cone. I am not suggesting sanding the LED dome.

I tried a test, using black electrical tape, and it did reduce the hotspot.
    But not completely, maybe because the tape did not block all the shiny cone at the bottom of the reflector, around the led itself. Or because the tape itself is shiny..

result, inconclusive, but suggests that blacking out the reflector cone may be a good idea.

Unless the source of the hotspot is the silver ring shown inside the Yuji LED:

hi can someone post photos of the packaging of c01 and does it have additional orings and others?

I've disposed of the packaging, but it was a plain cardboard box with a foam insert. It came with two spare O-rings and a split ring (for your key chain) per light, along with an instruction manual.
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

thanks modernflame

Dec 18:
    there are 49 left in 3200k and 45 left in 5600k

I predict no red or blue until this Black batch sells out.
    5 days later

39 left in 3200k
    36 left in 5600k

Please post when you see the Red and Blue show up.

Merry Xmas

Flashaholic*

That 3200k's hotspot is definitely more defined than mine. In fact, mine doesn't seem to have one at all. Are the LEDs being placed at different depths within the reflectors or are some reflectors shinier than others?

I'm going to attempt polishing mine to see what happens, but don't have any dedicated polishes, sandpaper or steel wool. Any common household alternatives I could use?
    What kind of self respecting nocturnal being cannot see in the dark, one way or another?

I'm thinking the same. Might try a non-gel toothpaste like original Crest. I got absolutely no hotspot from a full mirror polish on my Gerber Infinity, but that Yuji is only 45 degrees, so I don't think any light falls on the reflector.

Mine (3200k) arrived yesterday. I am liking this light more than I expected to. No hotspot, great beam and tint. When the other colors arrive, I will be back for more.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    I'm thinking the same. Might try a non-gel toothpaste like original Crest. I got absolutely no hotspot from a full mirror polish on my Gerber Infinity, but that Yuji is only 45 degrees, so I don't think any light falls on the reflector.
    Thanks for the idea of using toothpaste.

I gave it a try and while I didn't go for a mirror polish, it's definitely shinier than before. I attempted doing before and after shots, but my phone's camera would focus. No idea where my dedicated camera is.

Before my beam was like a mule beam within a mule beam, with an oh so subtle difference in intensity. Now there's a big hotspot in the middle that's slightly brighter than the spill instead of the "inner mule".

Regardless, I suspect there's more at play that's giving some with the warm variants with tiny hotspots than just reflector polish, perhaps depth within the reflector?

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    that Yuji is only 45 degrees, so I don't think any light falls on the reflector.
    mine are 60 degrees, and the light clearly shows reflected in the reflector:

here are my stock C01's (fenix E01 on right):

here is the result of partial black out of the 5600k C01 on the right, all other beamshots in this post are stock
    except this one:

As defloyd77 reports, polishing will increase the hotspot
    to stop the reflector from reflecting, will require blacking out the reflector and/or the side of the LED

I need to buy a fine point sharpie, the one I used would not reach deep enough:

I was actually wanting to black out the side of the LED, that should eliminate light reaching the reflector.

after partial black out, I got 3.3 lumens, on my meter
    I then used a qtip with alcohol and removed the black sharpie markings
    now my 5600k reads 7.8 lumens, same battery

I would say the reflector plays a HUGE part in the total OTF output of the light, and I believe the reflector causes the hotspot, thats what reflectors are supposed to do.

Speaking of beam types, l-r 2000k behind Aspheric lens, 3200k Yuji, 4500k Mule:

beam angles in the following photo,
    l-r Aspheric, Mule, Yuji C01:
    Last edited by jon_slider; 12-23-2018 at 06:03 PM.

in my country online shopee website, it has the blue and red option.
    Last edited by scout24; 12-24-2018 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Batang Regla View Post
    in my country online shopee website, it has the blue and red option.
    thanks for the info
    Last edited by jon_slider; 12-24-2018 at 12:36 AM.

What currency is that price quoted in, and will they ship to the United States?
    Remember, Two is One, and One is None!.

thats in philippine peso. I dont think if they wil ship. But its the same vendor in aliexpress. Maybe private message sofirm alixexpress and request for the colored ones.

people, please note that CPF rules discourage providing purchase links in this forum

If you want to ask where to buy, I suggest you use Private Messaging in the future

CPF staff has been very courteous to tolerate this thread, lets not push our luck by spending too much time talking about purchase links

Im deleting the link I quoted from Batang Regla

archimedes already posted a warning, lets not force him to take action, here are the rules:

6. Advertising on CandlePowerForums

Policies for advertising on CPF can be found HERE or by clicking on the link at the top of the side menubar titled "Advertising". In general, advertising by any member of CPF within the general forums (with the exception of the CPF Custom Builders and Modders forums) is strictly prohibited. Threads and/or posts that are considered by staff to be advertising, or solely for the purpose of providing links or pointers to new products, will stand to be closed, links removed, or deleted in their entirety, without warning or explanation. Members who persist in posting or quoting such material are advised that their posting authority may be limited or withdrawn. For those wishing to introduce referenced new offers they've found, the Commercial Corner and General MarketPlace on CandlePowerForums.com are the proper place. There will most likely be a dedicated forum there for posting such threads.

ps, please dont discuss if you like or agree with the rules in this thread either. Im just quoting them.

back on topic

I am enjoying my two Sofirn Lights, and I will be using google to find where to buy more of them for myself when red and blue become available. fwiw, I am in no way affiliated, I dont write reviews for, and I dont get free samples, nor any commissions from Sofirn sales. Im just someone that likes High CRi, that uses AAA lights at very low levels. The Sofirn C01 is very useful for my low light needs, and I like the choice of LEDs.

If you have any questions about the lights themselves, not their price or where to buy, feel free to ask in this thread, or share your own impressions if you have one of the Sofirn C01 lights.

Happy Holidays to everyone.
    Last edited by jon_slider; 12-24-2018 at 12:44 AM.

oh im sorry i did not know about this.

Next time i wont post links. Im just also curios why aliexpress only sells black but the philippine shopee website has all the colors. And its the same vendor.

Thanks for letting us know about the finding the colored versions. I'm sure Sofirn will show them on their Ali Express page soon.

I'm eager to order once they do.

Batang Regla, I sent you a PM

Flashaholic*

I ordered two of these Sofirm C01 flashlights from AliExpress on Nov. 27th. Got the tracking number a day or so after I ordered them but haven't received them yet.
    When I check the tracking it still says "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment" like it has never been shipped. Anyone else had that happen? They showed quite a few available when I placed my order (I order one of each color temp). I know the shipping is bogged down this time of the year but one would think there would be some indication of package movement when checking the tracking.

Flashaholic*

It took mine a very long time to come in. Hang in there.
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

Same here. Your experience sounds normal. I finally got mine, though. They're on the way!
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Bigburly912 View Post
    It took mine a very long time to come in. Hang in there.
    OK -- I'm hangin' in, but I ordered a digital alarm clock from them 2 days after I ordered the Sofirm flashlights and that arrived here about 10 days ago.
    I just sent their Customer Service an inquiry and they just told me that it had been shipped and to wait patiently. LOL

go back a couple pages and read some of the other posts, and you will discover that your delay is normal. Mine took 31 days, including almost a week within the USA to travel 60 miles.

I think small packages tend to fall to the bottom of the heap, that would explain why your presumably larger package, the alarm clock, arrived first.

when tracking shows the light has been "shipped", that does not mean it was put on an airplane, it just means it went into the sorting room, before it went into a container, before it went on a truck to the airport, before it got loaded on a plane.. then when it lands in USA, sorting happens all over again... and USPS is understaffed, and overwhelmed, even before the holidays: ;-)

I suggest you start worrying after January 10th or so.. Just forget about your lights, and when they finally arrive, you will have a nice suprise :-)
    Last edited by jon_slider; 12-24-2018 at 09:02 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    go back a couple pages and read some of the other posts, and you will discover that your delay is normal. Mine took 31 days, including almost a week within the USA to travel 60 miles. I think small packages tend to fall to the bottom of the heap, that would explain why your presumably larger package, the alarm clock, arrived first....
    I suggest you start worrying after January 10th or so.. Just forget about your lights, and when they finally arrive, you will have a nice suprise :-)

jon_slider -- thanks for the encouragement and for some insight into the shipping process. I think I saw my package somewhere in the photo!

Yay!
    Youre half way home now.. LOL
    fun little light, was worth the wait for mine

share your joy

this Yuji LED becoming available to the masses, is a historic moment
    just a few years ago, this level of High CRI was unheard of, or only in the realm of custom lights like the McSapphire
    and even until recently it was rare, at this level of light quality, in daylight white color temperature
    the level of the red rendering, from the Yuji, goes beyond what a 219c can do

an opportunity for the masses to experience Cool White, without Green Tint, in High CRI is revolutionary!;-)
    Note how tall the RED Bar is, in the Special CRI bar chart. CRI R9 with a value of 98! is the highest value I have ever heard of in any flashlight I own. Click pic for more info.
    Quote Originally Posted by maukka
    Last edited by jon_slider; 12-25-2018 at 12:01 AM.

Enlightened

I keep wishing I had also ordered a 5600K and think I will now that xmas is over. what I am realizing now though is the pics posted here don't really represent the warm accurately . most show the warm as very orange . but I see a cpl where the color balance is much more pleasing and natural so it has to be peoples camera settings.

hope mine makes it soon!!

Flashaholic*

FWIW mine isnít orange at all. Kind of a golden color but not this sunset orange I keep seeing
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Warmcopper123 View Post
    the pics posted here don't really represent the warm accurately . most show the warm as very orange . but I see a cpl where the color balance is much more pleasing and natural so it has to be peoples camera settings.
    Yes, the white balance of our brain completely changes the relative color of a light source, the same as with a camera. It has taken me a long time to understand that.

Owning both the warm and cool Yuji has really helped me see the differences based on time of day when I use my lights. I dont like the cool one at all, when I wake in the dark. I dont like the warm one at all, during daylight adaptation.

When my brain has its white balance set to daylight the warm Yuji definitely looks orange, not yellow.
    When my brain has its white balance set to incandescent light, the warm Yuji does not look orange, nor yellow either.

I include a daylight color temperature light in most of my beamshots, to emphasize the orange color of warmer lights, but that is Relative to cool white. In actual use, when my brain is not white balanced to cool white, the warm Yuji is very pleasant.

I definitely recommend owning both the warm and the cool Yuji. They have taught me a lot about how the white balance of my brain changes, and how it affects my opinion of a light's color temperature.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast