Sofirn C01 Potted AAA w High CRI

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kid Tested!

You can also find more info about this light by using Google to search for Sofirn C01
Here is a animation of that technique
I think Let Me Google That For You is really cool, no offense intended in any way to any one, because it shows exactly what keywords were used. In this case I added my handle to the search terms, which is a powerful technique for finding posts, when you know who made them.

Another thing I find really useful when Googling, is to click on "Images" after searching. Often I want to see a photo, and then want to see where it came from.

===
Update, November 2020:

The Sofirn C01 was the result of a BLF collaboration with Sofirn, after Fenix declined my inquiry for a MOQ quote, to build a High CRI Fenix E01.

Fenix and Sofirn parts are interchangeable. Fenix are Low CRI.
Sofirn are High CRI, w reversible pocket clip and a trit slot.

Shortly after the High CRI Sofirn C01 came out, Fenix announced it was discontinuing production of the Low CRI Fenix E01.

The Yuji LED in the first run Sofirn C01 is also offered in the McGizmo Sapphire, and as a skylumen.com mod to Fenix E01 hosts.

The above lights all use a Low Power 5mm LED in an AAA twisty host that has only One Mode.

The C01 Host has since been used to produce three other versions, with different LEDs, and more modes. (1 mode C01, 2 mode C01S, and 3 mode C01R). Not only has Sofirn produced High CRI models, they also offer Red LED models.

Here is an excellent summary table of the C01 Series

To clarify things in case anyone is confused, the C01 family consists of 3 models, but there have been multiple editions of each.

Model (Edition)
LED
Modes
Max OutputOther
C01 (2018 Edition)
Yuji BC 5mm - 3200K or 5600K, 95 CRI1~5 lumensPotted driver, 3 body colors
C01 (2020 Edition)
Sophia 5mm 3400K, 95 CRI1~5 lumensNot Potted, 5 body colors
C01 (2020 Edition, red)
Unknown 5mm deep red (670nm)1UnknownNot Potted, red body
C01s (original)Luminus SST-20, 4000K, 95 CRI2 (high, low)100 lumens3 body colors
C01s (BLF and current edition)Luminus SST-20, 4000K, 95 CRI2 (low, high)100 lumens6 body colors
C01R (original)Cree XP-E2, photo red (660nm)3 (LMH or HML configurable)36 lumensRed body
C01R (current edition)Luminus SST-20-DR deep red (660nm)3 (LMH or HML configurable)~36 lumens?Red body

Common features:
  • AAA-powered (Lithium-ion not supported. Unsure if it's been tested)
  • Twisty user interface
  • 71.6mm long x 14.5mm diameter
  • Approx. 15 grams weight
  • Tail stands
  • 5mm x 3mm Magnet pocket and 1mm x 6mm tritium slot.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha, that light can sure take the abuse. :D Is there a warmer tinted version?

Yes ;-), and Yes :)
and Welcome to the forum :)

That is a Very Good Question!
Not only is there a Warm and a Cool, they are both High CRI!
Im happy to explain the differences if the terms are new to you.

Note:
all pics are clickable links.
You can tell even without clicking, because the cursor changes when it moves over an image link
I use this technique a lot, to give credit to the original source of an image
(I also store a copy of the image on my own photo account to post here, out of consideration for the CPF server)

do click on pics if you want more details.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... I highly recommend reading the link I gave in the first post, it will answer a lot of other questions too.

OP, I know that this thread was started because it was considered off-topic elsewhere, and I do appreciate you moving the discussion to a dedicated thread here.

However, direct links to group buys on outside forums are discouraged (as it is considered as a sort of advertising)

You may feel free to discuss this project here in as much detail as you wish, but removing those links would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
direct links to group buys on outside forums are discouraged (as it is considered as a sort of advertising)

You may feel free to discuss this project here in as much detail as you wish, but removing those links would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for explaining the correct protocols to follow, and the reasons why.

Please PM me if you need me to make any other changes.

I was only trying to be helpful, I am not selling, nor do I plan to buy, the Sofirn C01, it is simply an interesting light that I wanted to share information about.

It has several outstanding features that are not commonly available:
1. High CRI
2. Both Warm and Cool ColorTemperatures
3. Reversible Pocket Clip for use as a HatLamp
4. Low Price
5. Potted to withstand use by Children ;-) (thats a joke)
6. It also withstands abuse by Adults, which I generally do not (another joke)
7. Owner option to add a Magnet to the provided space in the Tail (I dont care for magnetic tails myself)
8. Owner option to add a Tritium to the provided slot in the tail (not my thing, but if it makes others Happy, go for it!)

note, a lot of my posts contain tongue in cheek jokes and self deprecation, I try to mark those comments with emoticons to avoid confusion.

if someone is offended by my posts, consider that I have a European Sense of Humor (no offense to Europeans, I Love them), and do PM me to clarify any misunderstandings

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thank you for explaining the correct protocols to follow, and the reasons why.

Please PM me if you need me to make any other changes.

I was only trying to be helpful, I am not selling, nor do I plan to buy, the Sofirn C01, it is simply an interesting light that I wanted to share information about....

No worries, and your contributions here are appreciated :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I used the Yuji in minimags and a SureFire 3P module.

The 3200 is pretty close to a light bulb tint and the 5600 has a pleasant tint while leaning towards the cool end.

So folks scooping up one of these should know they have a choice of tints pleasing to the eye with either decision.

tastewar1

Newly Enlightened
This looks like a fun little light, and I will be signing up for the group buy. Currently carry a Thrunite TI, passed down my Arc AAA to my son.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
This looks like a fun little light, and I will be signing up for the group buy. Currently carry a Thrunite TI, passed down my Arc AAA to my son.

To be clear, it will be more similar to the Arc in lumens than to the Ti, but it's the color quality that will be one of the main sources of appeal for this light.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
However, direct links to group buys on outside forums are discouraged (as it is considered as a sort of advertising)

Thanks for clarifying. Unfortunately, I'm not sure we can run a CPF-specific group buy list since, although the details are not confirmed yet, it is likely the group buy will be handled through one of Sofirn's existing retail methods. Greta's sticky in the group buy sub-forum seems to exclude that kind of arrangement if I understand right.

If so, that's fine. I will still enjoy seeing how much discussion the light generates over here, and I look forward to sharing my thoughts after I'm able to purchase a couple.

Jon and I were both involved quite a bit in the discussions that led to this light existing. I think both of us were uncertain whether a low output, simple twisty, but with a rugged build and excellent beam would have much appeal. It turns out it has: three months or so after Sofirn told us they are interested in producing a light inspired by the Fenix E01 but with Yuji's high CRI emitters, there have been over 300 people express definite interest in the concept.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
They'd make excellent gifts. At that price point, I could see myself buying a dozen, keeping three or four, and gifting the rest.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for clarifying. Unfortunately, I'm not sure we can run a CPF-specific group buy list since, although the details are not confirmed yet, it is likely the group buy will be handled through one of Sofirn's existing retail methods. Greta's sticky in the group buy sub-forum seems to exclude that kind of arrangement if I understand right.

If so, that's fine. I will still enjoy seeing how much discussion the light generates over here, and I look forward to sharing my thoughts after I'm able to purchase a couple.

Jon and I were both involved quite a bit in the discussions that led to this light existing. I think both of us were uncertain whether a low output, simple twisty, but with a rugged build and excellent beam would have much appeal. It turns out it has: three months or so after Sofirn told us they are interested in producing a light inspired by the Fenix E01 but with Yuji's high CRI emitters, there have been over 300 people express definite interest in the concept.

There has always been interest in this kind of light, witness the E01 threads, the 4Sevens E01 killer thread that was on CPFMP, Vinh's E01 mods that people pay a significant price increase over a stock E01, etc. The biggest problem is awareness since it's development is taking place on the other forum.

Once these things get into the hands of us interforum members and if they prove to be what we hope them to be, they'll catch on here.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the interest list is over 800 units now

its not really a group buy imo, more like a community project

I thank gurdygurds and many others for helping to bring this option to all of us

one thing I will say, is each light has its own merits.. I think we should avoid comparing, and mentioning other brands, as that is also against CPF rules, and is the reason this thread was started

collect them all!:)

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
jon_slider, you may need to edit post #8, the light has a hole for a magnet that has to be user aqcuired and installed.

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
one thing I will say, is each light has its own merits.. I think we should avoid comparing, and mentioning other brands, as that is also against CPF rules, and is the reason this thread was started

I don't think it's necessarily comparisons that are the concern, but going beyond a brief comparison to potentially hijacking the thread.

Regardless, I'm glad we've got a thread for the C01 now that the design has been more or less finalized and it has a name.

And I agree, each light has its merits. As the project has evolved, I've started to think of the C01 less as clone, and more of its own design, with its own, even though fairly similar features and reasons for those features.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
jon_slider, you may need to edit post #8, the light has a hole for a magnet that has to be user aqcuired and installed.

thank you very much for taking the time to read my post in detail
you are absolutely correct and I have improved the post
suggestions are always welcome

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
A small update from "over there", the high CRI versions of these lights will be limited to 2000 lights as the Yuji LEDs used in these lights are discontinued. So if you want to get your hands on one of these, find your way "over there" and make sure you get in on it before it's too late. Sofirn hopes to make the lights available for their 11-11 sale.