ArmyTek        
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sofirn C01 Potted AAA w High CRI

Default Sofirn C01 Potted AAA w High CRI

Kid Tested!

You can also find more info about this light by using Google to search for Sofirn C01
    Here is a animation of that technique
    I think Let Me Google That For You is really cool, no offense intended in any way to any one, because it shows exactly what keywords were used. In this case I added my handle to the search terms, which is a powerful technique for finding posts, when you know who made them.

Another thing I find really useful when Googling, is to click on "Images" after searching. Often I want to see a photo, and then want to see where it came from.
    Last edited by jon_slider; 11-04-2018 at 03:45 PM.

Default Re: Sofirn C01 Potted AAA w High CRI

"You want to do WHAT with your light?"
    P

Ha, that light can sure take the abuse. Is there a warmer tinted version?

Hey, that's cool! I'd like to buy a few of those. This is my first time seeing this since I am a one forum man.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by digitalsurf View Post
    Yes and 3 different body colors for now, black, blue and red.

Edit: 3200k and 5600k are the tint options.
    Last edited by defloyd77; 11-04-2018 at 02:16 PM.
    What kind of self respecting nocturnal being cannot see in the dark, one way or another?

Quote Originally Posted by digitalsurf View Post
    Yes ;-), and Yes :-)
    and Welcome to the forum :-)

That is a Very Good Question!
    Not only is there a Warm and a Cool, they are both High CRI!
    Im happy to explain the differences if the terms are new to you.

Note:
    all pics are clickable links.
    You can tell even without clicking, because the cursor changes when it moves over an image link
    I use this technique a lot, to give credit to the original source of an image
    (I also store a copy of the image on my own photo account to post here, out of consideration for the CPF server)

do click on pics if you want more details.
    Last edited by jon_slider; 11-04-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    .... I highly recommend reading the link I gave in the first post, it will answer a lot of other questions too.
    OP, I know that this thread was started because it was considered off-topic elsewhere, and I do appreciate you moving the discussion to a dedicated thread here.

However, direct links to group buys on outside forums are discouraged (as it is considered as a sort of advertising)

You may feel free to discuss this project here in as much detail as you wish, but removing those links would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    direct links to group buys on outside forums are discouraged (as it is considered as a sort of advertising)

You may feel free to discuss this project here in as much detail as you wish, but removing those links would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Thank you for explaining the correct protocols to follow, and the reasons why.

Please PM me if you need me to make any other changes.

I was only trying to be helpful, I am not selling, nor do I plan to buy, the Sofirn C01, it is simply an interesting light that I wanted to share information about.

It has several outstanding features that are not commonly available:
    1. High CRI
    2. Both Warm and Cool ColorTemperatures
    3. Reversible Pocket Clip for use as a HatLamp
    4. Low Price
    5. Potted to withstand use by Children ;-) (thats a joke)
    6. It also withstands abuse by Adults, which I generally do not (another joke)
    7. Owner option to add a Magnet to the provided space in the Tail (I dont care for magnetic tails myself)
    8. Owner option to add a Tritium to the provided slot in the tail (not my thing, but if it makes others Happy, go for it!)

note, a lot of my posts contain tongue in cheek jokes and self deprecation, I try to mark those comments with emoticons to avoid confusion.

if someone is offended by my posts, consider that I have a European Sense of Humor (no offense to Europeans, I Love them), and do PM me to clarify any misunderstandings
    Last edited by jon_slider; 11-06-2018 at 04:58 PM.

Thank you for explaining the correct protocols to follow, and the reasons why.

Please PM me if you need me to make any other changes.

I was only trying to be helpful, I am not selling, nor do I plan to buy, the Sofirn C01, it is simply an interesting light that I wanted to share information about....
    No worries, and your contributions here are appreciated
    ... is the archimedes peak

I used the Yuji in minimags and a SureFire 3P module.

The 3200 is pretty close to a light bulb tint and the 5600 has a pleasant tint while leaning towards the cool end.

So folks scooping up one of these should know they have a choice of tints pleasing to the eye with either decision.
    John 3:16

This looks like a fun little light, and I will be signing up for the group buy. Currently carry a Thrunite TI, passed down my Arc AAA to my son.

Quote Originally Posted by tastewar1 View Post
    This looks like a fun little light, and I will be signing up for the group buy. Currently carry a Thrunite TI, passed down my Arc AAA to my son.
    To be clear, it will be more similar to the Arc in lumens than to the Ti, but it's the color quality that will be one of the main sources of appeal for this light.

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    However, direct links to group buys on outside forums are discouraged (as it is considered as a sort of advertising)

Thanks for clarifying. Unfortunately, I'm not sure we can run a CPF-specific group buy list since, although the details are not confirmed yet, it is likely the group buy will be handled through one of Sofirn's existing retail methods. Greta's sticky in the group buy sub-forum seems to exclude that kind of arrangement if I understand right.

If so, that's fine. I will still enjoy seeing how much discussion the light generates over here, and I look forward to sharing my thoughts after I'm able to purchase a couple.

Jon and I were both involved quite a bit in the discussions that led to this light existing. I think both of us were uncertain whether a low output, simple twisty, but with a rugged build and excellent beam would have much appeal. It turns out it has: three months or so after Sofirn told us they are interested in producing a light inspired by the Fenix E01 but with Yuji's high CRI emitters, there have been over 300 people express definite interest in the concept.

They'd make excellent gifts. At that price point, I could see myself buying a dozen, keeping three or four, and gifting the rest.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by iamlucky13 View Post
    Thanks for clarifying. Unfortunately, I'm not sure we can run a CPF-specific group buy list since, although the details are not confirmed yet, it is likely the group buy will be handled through one of Sofirn's existing retail methods. Greta's sticky in the group buy sub-forum seems to exclude that kind of arrangement if I understand right.

If so, that's fine. I will still enjoy seeing how much discussion the light generates over here, and I look forward to sharing my thoughts after I'm able to purchase a couple.

Jon and I were both involved quite a bit in the discussions that led to this light existing. I think both of us were uncertain whether a low output, simple twisty, but with a rugged build and excellent beam would have much appeal. It turns out it has: three months or so after Sofirn told us they are interested in producing a light inspired by the Fenix E01 but with Yuji's high CRI emitters, there have been over 300 people express definite interest in the concept.
    There has always been interest in this kind of light, witness the E01 threads, the 4Sevens E01 killer thread that was on CPFMP, Vinh's E01 mods that people pay a significant price increase over a stock E01, etc. The biggest problem is awareness since it's development is taking place on the other forum.

Once these things get into the hands of us interforum members and if they prove to be what we hope them to be, they'll catch on here.
    What kind of self respecting nocturnal being cannot see in the dark, one way or another?

Yes, the interest list is over 800 units now

its not really a group buy imo, more like a community project

I thank gurdygurds and many others for helping to bring this option to all of us

one thing I will say, is each light has its own merits.. I think we should avoid comparing, and mentioning other brands, as that is also against CPF rules, and is the reason this thread was started

collect them all!:-)

Flashaholic*

jon_slider, you may need to edit post #8, the light has a hole for a magnet that has to be user aqcuired and installed.

one thing I will say, is each light has its own merits.. I think we should avoid comparing, and mentioning other brands, as that is also against CPF rules, and is the reason this thread was started
    I don't think it's necessarily comparisons that are the concern, but going beyond a brief comparison to potentially hijacking the thread.

Regardless, I'm glad we've got a thread for the C01 now that the design has been more or less finalized and it has a name.

And I agree, each light has its merits. As the project has evolved, I've started to think of the C01 less as clone, and more of its own design, with its own, even though fairly similar features and reasons for those features.

Quote Originally Posted by defloyd77 View Post
    jon_slider, you may need to edit post #8, the light has a hole for a magnet that has to be user aqcuired and installed.
    thank you very much for taking the time to read my post in detail
    you are absolutely correct and I have improved the post
    suggestions are always welcome

Flashaholic*

A small update from "over there", the high CRI versions of these lights will be limited to 2000 lights as the Yuji LEDs used in these lights are discontinued. So if you want to get your hands on one of these, find your way "over there" and make sure you get in on it before it's too late. Sofirn hopes to make the lights available for their 11-11 sale.

And it is indeed available now.

Quote Originally Posted by tastewar1 View Post
    And it is indeed available now.
    thank you.
    I did not want one, but, my click it now finger had a twitch and I ordered one of each
    Last edited by jon_slider; 11-10-2018 at 05:08 PM.

Ordered a pair of each tint. With this price and Yugi LED it's hard to say no.
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

I ordered a pair as soon as they became available haha
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

I've made vow to myself that I won't buy anything but Nichia in future, and even I want one or two or three.
    P

Yuji is an awesomely clean beam. I have three lights with them. You won’t be disappointed if you haven’t tried them before
    hunter, fisherman, flashlight enthusiast

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by peter yetman View Post
    I've made vow to myself that I won't buy anything but Nichia in future, and even I want one or two or three.
    P
    There is lots of good stuff out there besides Nichia

Just bought one of each tint. I'll have the warm one, but Mrs. Modernflame prefers cool white.

Does anyone know anything about the circuit being used in this light? Any regulation and if so, what type? Min/Max voltages, etc?
    ... it's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, It's what you leave behind you when you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Mrs. Modernflame prefers cool white.
    choices are good
    I call it High Noon, since its 5600k High CRI

we need a name for the 3200k version.. High Tea?
    Last edited by jon_slider; 11-10-2018 at 05:08 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast