Dropped my Olight X7R

mhpreston

Enlightened
Hi folks,

Last night I dropped my X7R from the boot of my car (about knee height) onto the tarmac. I know you shouldn't be precious about these things, but in the light of day I was disappointed to see the amount of pitting and scratches it got - at both ends including the Olight 'blue ring' and body.

It must have bounced end-to-end then rolled. I'm guessing that as a heavier unit than the other torches I own, it got scratched more than I would have expected.

Is there a clever way to polish out the pitting or is his something I can have refurbished at some stage?

Last edited:

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
We'd love to see pics of the battle scars!

editor

Newly Enlightened
If the light functions well, consider this dent as first step of personalizing your light. Don't misunderstand me, not joking. Almost every valuable belongings get their scratches and dents sooner or later. It disturbed me much for decades. Now I see people showing the dents of their expensive concert guitars with love: as long as it sounds fine, all dents remind them of some good memories. And no one else will ever have the same history on their guitars. Since I learned this I have less problem with seeing my lights wearing.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Aluminum anodizing, depending on the process used, can vary from ~ 0.5 - 150 micron thickness.

I have seen Type III / HA defined (in part) as thickness > 25 micron.

Thicker coatings may be tougher, so that still leaves an approximately 6-fold range for truly "hard-anodized" coatings.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I know the feeling of regret but over time what has worked for me is to embrace it. The positive... You know the gear can take a fall. Use a tool and stuff is going to happen. Entropy is like that. Still I do understand as these things aren 't cheap.

mhpreston

Enlightened
Here you go. I've tried to mask it with permanent marker (probably made it look worse). I know it's not bad in the scheme of things, but I've dropped other lights from higher and not seen any scuffing.
a36b4437793fd2ad0a4422b3c4689eb3.jpg
2fdcbd73e13564f6dc9dd2ff51160750.jpg

GoVegan

Enlightened
HAHA you're concerned about a few tiny dings!? Still looks almost new to me.
On the bright side, you won't care about getting it scratched up a bit more from now on.

Just ask yourself WBFC?

Last edited:

mhpreston

Enlightened
Yeah - I know. It's a heavy torch and will mark anytime you drop it. Olight have been very good, and are sending me a new ring to fit. That will make it pretty again [emoji16]

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
A light shouldn't be so pretty you never use it and wouldn't you rather be the one who dropped it instead of someone else?

louieatienza

Newly Enlightened
I have an AceBeam X80 and I always put the lanyard on before taking it out of its holster... Eventually I'll beat it up like everything else I own but for now it's getting cared for!

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
I felt the same way the 1st time I dropped my Olight H2R Nova - granted it's a much less expensive light. However, after it was personalized, I found I carried it a lot more, since I wasn't worried about getting it scratched or dinged - I used it more and really have to say enjoyed it more.

Mckinngkb

Newly Enlightened
Here you go. I've tried to mask it with permanent marker (probably made it look worse).

I got some self-inflicted scratches on my AR15, and found a product by Birchwood Casey called Aluminum Black that makes it (almost) perfect. It not a paint, but a chemical reaction. If the scratch is fresh, it works great.

Next time you scratch your black flashlight, give this a try. It should mask it well (much better than a Sharpie).

Last edited: