EDU request: Modding existing light

nimdabew

Enlightened
Hello! I figured that I should ask the experts in modding lights before I go tearing through an existing and working light by adding a different emitter.

I have a Nitecore MT20C that is a great light, but leaves a lot to be desired in the tint and CRI department. I want to mod the light with a different emitter, but do next to nothing else. I love the mode switching, I love the UI, I love just about everything with the light EXCEPT the emitter, so I would like to stick a high CRI emitter into the light. I would prefer a Nichia 219B or a 219C, but I am also open to other suggestions for when/how/what/etc.

My experience with modding lights is about as far as pulling out old batteries and putting in new batteries. I have jail broken a few E2D incan heads, pulled P60 bulbs out and put in dorpins, but I haven't done much with the soldering and wiring part of the modding side. I am sure that as soon as I do though, most of my lights will be tinkered with, I just need to get over the hurdle of taking a light that is currently working and then potentially trashing the light because I can't get it to come back on.

So, what do I need to change the XP-G2 emitter in the MT20C to a Nichia 219B/C emitter?

Specs:
https://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/mt20c

ETA: I have two MT20C's right now, so if I do trash one light, it won't be the end of the world. One of them is sitting bedside duty right now anyways and I have a plethora of lights that can pull that duty as good, or better, than the MT20C.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
1st off, I suggest a Samsung LH351D over the nichia, same light quality but MUCH higher lpw.
2nd, reflowing an emitter takes some practice but is not hard to do, I have several videos on YouTube on this, PM me for the links if you'd like.