what do you consider inportant in ya lights

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well for me first is brihgtess i want it to amaze me ,so many lights ive bougght and was just very upset i bought them to darn dim!!! second thing i look for is beam color i want white pretty much only white. i hate green ill never use a light with a greenish beam and realuy dont like blue either i want white.those who seen a good white beam knows what i mean. no sttrange tints to it just a good white beam third is apearace of the body of light.how about you?

Prolepsis

Enlightened
Hi Raggie:

For me (for now, anyway), mainly size. I prefer to clip a small EDC light to my belt so that it is always there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I like bright lights too, especially lights that are brighter than their size would seem to hint at /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

JJHitt

Enlightened
Runtime, readily available batteries, low cost of ownership (ie: it shouldn't eat 123As like peanuts).

Brightness isn't high on my list, but being able to dim or adjust the output is.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
A good question. I guess my preferences are the opposite of yours, but it really depends on the intended purpose of the flashlight.

The "white" light given off by the "white" LEDs is intriguing. I consider it a fairly poor quality white though. I believe it's actually just blue and yellow in the right proportion to fool the eye into seeing white.

The purpose of a flashlight, besides impressing your friends and making them see spots, is to illuminate things. The light from a "white" LED has a poor "color rendering index". It makes things appear to have a strange color.

Personally I like my factory second ARC LS with a green tint. It reminds me of key lime pie, and I like key lime pie. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Actually I like most LED flashlights that you turn on by twisting the head. That eliminates two problems that have plagued flashlights for a hundred years. Busted bulbs and bad switches. Now if someone could figure out a way to eliminate dead batteries, that would be perfect.

Maybe the batteries could be replaced with a small plutonium reactor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Raven

Enlightened
-smooth beam that "fills" up an area
-able to punch through rain, smog, or urban lighting
-waterproof to 50' (rainproof actually)
-uses 1 or 2 aa batteries (including lithiums, or nmhd)
-snag free edges
-perma off/on clicky
-regulated
-less than 100 US

less important

-clip (detachable)
-scratch resistant
-bright colored (to find if dropped at night)

Has anyone found this light yet?

Raven

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
For my needs, I prefer runtime over other attributes. This is why I don't mind the Lightwave 4000 (3D 10 LED, and weighs less than a 2D Mag w/batteries in both).

As much as I like the L4, I prefer a light that has a balance between brightness and runtime. I can't afford to use the L4 without Pila 168S and charger, because of my income and source (social security disability and SSI).

This is where my Guide Gear (Sportsman's Guide) 3C, 1 Watt aluminum Luxeon (in reflector) fills the gap quite nicely. It gives me brightness, long runtime (ignoring the claims), and good throw.

The other major factor is at least frog choker proof, if not waterproof.

For EDC, I like my Infinity Ultra, since it is for those just in case situations.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raven, I haven't seen your ideal light yet but I do appreciate the fact that Streamlight offers a choice of yellow, to make them easier to find, and black to make them easier to lose.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consider these lights, Raven. The L6 SureFire blows the snot out of my Legend LX and its an LED. Best light I have ever had the pleasure of owning

http://www.tjtech.org/gallery/NikolaTesla/SurefireL4L5L6
http://www.tjtech.org/gallery/NikolaTesla/TheBadestLightsEver_1
http://www.tjtech.org/gallery/NikolaTesla/SurefireDetail
http://www.tjtech.org/gallery/NikolaTesla/SurefireL4L5L6_2

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

An Arc is the Spark that takes away the Dark--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Lights: ******************* CAREFULL: The last one is NOT UL approved.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STREAMLIGHTS: KEY MATE, TTL-2D, TTL-3C, TL3-LED(5watt), STINGER XT-HP,
TTL-2L, TL-3AA (1 watt LED). BRINKMAN LEGEND LX. VECTOR SPORT LIGHT 1 MILLION CP.
SUREFIRE: 6P, L6 (5watt)LED. Cygolite 16 watt dual beam.
MAGLITE 2AA, 3C. Acro X990 HID. NikolaTesla 1.5 KW 1.5 Million Volt Arc light (I have Torus
blown 15KW style primary Arc & 175 amp @ 12.5 KV High Q rated .068uf resonating capacitor)
http://www.tjtech.org/gallery/NikolaTesla/9inch1

D

**DONOTDELETE**

What I consider important features in my lights

Three as follows:

1) They MUST function WHEN I NEED them to.
2) They MUST function WHEN I NEED them to.
3) They MUST function WHEN I NEED them to.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: What I consider important features in my light

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif KT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif bring us all back to basics with a simple statement /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
bernhard

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What I consider important features in my lights

[ QUOTE ]
kogatana said:
Three as follows:

1) They MUST function WHEN I NEED to them to.
2) They MUST function WHEN I NEED to them to.
3) They MUST function WHEN I NEED to them to.

[/ QUOTE ]

cant they look pretty, too???

LOL!

you are absolutely correct, K!

Bob

*Retired*
Adjustable beam is important to me. I need both a smooth flood with no hotspot, and a beam that will put all it's light into throw, for when you want to reach out and touch someone. Personally I find beams with hotspots a PITA when hiking in the dark.

These small lights drive me nuts the way they eat 123's like there was no tomorrow. Give me a low cost rechargeable NiMH instead. The 30 minutes to 1 hour runtime is fine (prefer the 1 hour). Plus give me a trickle charger, so when I grab the light, it is always freshly charged.

Gimme an adjustable light output brightness, but don't make it so complicated that I couldn't put it in the glove box for a year, not touch it, and pick it up a year later, and I can still remember how to adjust it without picking up the manual. The Photon III is a beautiful example of a simple KISS (keep it simple stupid) to set output level.

Some kick in the switch that you can feel when you switch it, especially through gloves.

Something with a on off, on the light that can be operated while naturally holding it in your hand, in a down by the waist position.

Toss the lexan/polycarbonate/acrylic protective lens, I always goober them up, even if they are scratch resistant. Give me an impact resistant glass with 2-sided AR.

Either make the finish on and expensive light such that I can drop it on concrete alot and it doesn't mess it up (even rubber baby bumpers is a swell compromise), or make it cheap enough that I don't care.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
those criteria would make a VERY nice light.

i think focudsing could be very nice--if done correctly.

i was in REI a few months ago toying with a myo, i think. it has a xenon with focusing.

***it focused from a nice spot to broad smooth flood with NO hole***

impressive.

you other ideas are very useful as well.

Bob

stockwiz

Enlightened
The ability to use nimh rechargable batteries of any size, whether it be C, AA, N, 1/5A, or whatever is probably top on my list.. it's one reason I don't own any surefires but have Arcs, Electrolumens, and lambdas.

The beam quality is also important along with the beam color, with different needs arising for different lights. I prefer cool or pure white LED over warm white. Nice uniform beams are important too. Basically different lights for different needs.

It seems the hardest light for me to fill a void for was a keychain light that was relatively bright, white, and uses rechargable nimh batteries. That dream was met with a Turbo Nano Mate, and it's currently my favorite flashlight.. pure white beam from the luxeon, nice hotspot with very usuable sidespill, and uses one rechargable "N" size battery at 500 mah that provides a good 40 minutes of constant use or 60 minutes intermittant. I wouldn't give this thing up for $150. Since my keys go everywhere with me, a bright light that is small attached to them is an asset for me.

The mag 3D mod will be nice adjustable once I get a reflector sputtered to get out those mag lines from the beam.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Brightness is a plus, durability is another plus, and long battery life (or battery flexibility - lights that can use disposable or rechargeable cells) is another plus.
The ideal flashlight also ought to feel good in the hand, for comfort during long-term usage.

Well, I just got a bounced email message (a real one), so I'd better get going.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reliability.
Durability.
Suitable brightness and beam shape for what is needed.
Ease of carry/practical size.
Availability/affordability of spare batteries or parts.
Sum of parts. It's no good if it doesn't work, isn't with you, isn't suitable for the task at hand, and can't be maintained.
Most of that can be changed to make criteria for a firearm or knife by changing a word or two.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd agree with Owen on this one. Especially "Suitable brightness and beam shape for what is needed." ...... depending on what I'm doing will dictate what light I use.

Mike

red_robby

Enlightened
i don't know about anyone else but i MUST have a funny sripe down the side of it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on the light!
For EDC use, it must be bright, bright and bright! It must work all the time and use easy to find batteries, out of a remote if need be. Must have a run time of around 2 hours.

For keychain EDC, it must work, have decent amount of light to get around with and be bombproof. Oh yeah, make it waterproof and very, very small with a decent runtime. Easy one, Arc AAA.

For "I need a cannon" use, it must be bright with a very long throw and decent battery life. My MM+ R2H 2D Mag fits the bill, runs 8 hours and will burn a narrow hole through the night.

For "emergency power outage" light. Must be durable, stand on end, give at least 12 hours of light and have a fairly wide beam. My first run Elektrolumens Anglelux does that with no problems. It is also the camping and family use light.

To sum it all up

Reliable
Durable
Decent run time
Normal batteries
Size matches expected use