Fenix Outfitters        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Encounter with an HDS Rotary XP-G 200 Cool White

Default Re: First Encounter with an HDS Rotary XP-G 200 Cool White

Yep, we are in violent agreement. It is definitely a relative thing how important losing 1/4 of your brightness is. I look at the general rule that it takes a doubling, or halving, to be really noticeable. When I am still happy with my old 40-60 lumen lights, carrying a 200-600 lumen light with a filter is just great. But give me a light with a puke green beam at any brightness, and I won't use it.

I have a good stash of 4000K and 4500K 9080's, and need to find time to get them in more lights. I have not used other modders, so I'll leave that to others to recommend. But I don't consider myself good enough to work on other folks quality lights, even though most of my jobs have come out quite well.

I guess I'm a junior snob, I love these new (I guess old now, as they are discontinued, but more good stuff is coming) emitters, but I still am not disappointed in a decent tint in a non-high CRI light (yet).

I too like wood to show CRI. Also, my favorite target is some family photos on a shelf. Cool, low CRI lights make them look like an episode of the Munsters!

jon, surprised the steps on the Rotary bother you. I think of it like the ramping on the Novatac interface, just with a dial instead of holding the button down. But then, I mostly use Clickies, so there you go!
    Last edited by Hondo; 11-16-2018 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Yep, we are in violent agreement. It is definitely a relative thing how important losing 1/4 of your brightness is
    LOL!
    like you, a loss of 25% of 200 lumens is a non issue for me.. I seldom use more than 100 lumens, most of my use is below 50 lumens..

I have nothing but respect for your contributions, and have learned, and continue to learn, a great deal from your posts. Thanks for taking the time to share info.

the Munsters.. now that takes me back a few years.. :-)
    I found the show very disturbing to my delicate sensibilities.. and could not enjoy watching it for long.

Well, the Adams Family must have been absolutely terrifying then!

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Well, the Adams Family must have been absolutely terrifying then!
    Yvonne De Carlo and Carolyn Jones were hotties in the day... especially for a young kid. Too bad the shows were in black in white... well, that's the only tv we had back then anyway. Makes me wonder... what was the tint on the black and white tv? This was, of course, back when I was the remote control... Dad: "Change the channel." Me: gets up from the floor and goes over to the tv and turns the knob.
    Thor's Hammer Custom Leather
    I'm old, cranky, and don't like private messages. Please don't private message me as that is reserved for moderators giving me warnings that I rightly deserve. Thank you.

Oh yeah, and we were the last house in our neighborhood to get a color TV. But we went all out and got the remote then. So weird to think about now, all of the knobs turned with motors when you pressed the remote. That Ka-chunk, Ka-chunk when the channel dial turned - had to go all the way around if you missed your channel. And UHF was just one position on it. So if you wanted to change from channel 50 to 20, you had to get up and tune the manual UHF dial underneath it.

"Hey Gomez, lemme shoot him in the back!"

"Yooou raaaaang?"

"Oh, that's just uncle Fester playing with his dynamite."

"Tish, you spoke french!"

Those were the days!
    Last edited by Hondo; 11-17-2018 at 02:24 PM.

comparison of minimum modes
    Jetbeam RRT-01 w 219b 4500k 9080, minimum is less than 0.01, HDS 200 XP-G CW minimum 0.07 lumens

comparison of max modes
    RRT-01 434 max, HDS 200 max

You have 3 lower setting on the HDS don't ya?
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    You have 3 lower setting on the HDS don't ya?
    no, the firmware 2.0 specification for this original first run ACME light is as stated, 0.07 lumens.

But even if I had the firmware upgraded to include a 0.02 minimum, that is current firmware spec, the RRT-01 will still have a MUCH lower low. The minimum on the RRT-01 is so low my meter, which reads a minimum of 0.01, cannot even read the minimum levels the RRT-01 is capable. The Minimum on an HDS is not even close.

last night I set the RRT-01 so low that it would barely illuminate a wall 1 inch away, but I could tell the LED was lit. When I woke up in the morning, the light looked like it was off, until I held it up to my eyeball, and then I could see that it was still lit. An HDS is Much Brighter on Minimum than an RRT-01.

Really ok. Another reason to love my u42 and 60ís 😀
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Really ok. Another reason to love my u42 and 60ís 😀
    I dont follow you.
    The minimum on your legacy lights is 0.08, which is Higher than on my First Generation Acme Rotary whose minimum is 0.07..

The lowest low HDS has to offer is not in the Legacy models, it is in the latest firmware for ACME models, whose minimum is 0.02

I would be surprised if 0.02 lumens is bright enough to shine all the way through the lens.

It is...actually I even find it too high sometimes...but I happen to have very good night vision
    My gf, on the other hand, finds it too low!

When you're in the dark with fully night adapted vision, 0,02lm is more than enough to see where you're going.
    Want DC-fix? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    I would be surprised if 0.02 lumens is bright enough to shine all the way through the lens.
    Really, or are you just trying to be funny?:-)

IF you are serious:
    Have you never tried the minimum setting on your Rotary?
    Have you never used your light on minimum to walk to the bathroom in the middle of the night?
    Have you never turned your rotary on at minimum during the day, and looked at the LED to see if its on?

If your answer is No, youre missing out.. I know you already own a light with a 0.02 minimum, wait til you try it, its Amazing!

IF you were kidding.. please add some emoticons, so I dont take your comment seriously.
    Last edited by jon_slider; 12-07-2018 at 11:53 AM.

Statements without emoji make a useful litmus test to see which people are predisposed to interpret what they read in a positive way or a negative way by default. Consider that books don't contain emoji (at least not yet, god help us), and usually don't contain narrative descriptions of the characters' tones of voice on a line-by-line basis either, so expecting readers to infer tone based on choice of wording isn't unreasonable. Does it strike you as humorously absurd for me to suggest that any amount of light would struggle to shine through a water-clear lense? Then it was probably intended as such.

Besides, sometimes I forget to include emoticons.

I do use the lowest setting on my HDS Rotary on a regular (though not frequent) basis, but since I have the brighter XP-L emitter, it almost certainly produces more than 0.02 lumens on the lowest setting. It's dim enough that I can look directly at the emitter in a mostly-dark room, but my Jetbeam TC-R1 goes lower -- low enough to be truly useless in my estimation.

I agree that a shockingly small amount of light is quite useful to see in pitch-blackness with fully night-adapted vision. However, the only way I can achieve that is to stand in one of my windowless bathrooms with door closed and the lights turned off. That is not the sort of situation where I actually need a flashlight, since obviously it's manufactured specifically to be as dark as possible for no useful purpose. If I lived in the middle of nowhere where there wasn't any artificial ambient light at night, 0.02 lumens might be more useful, but I would also need to see further away because the distances would be longer, and that would require a brighter light that would destroy my night vision anyway. Basically, unless I were stationed in a forward operating base in a combat zone and I needed to read a map in the middle of the night without being shot and killed, I struggle to imagine a plausible-for-me scenario where I could make productive use of 0.02 lumens.

This is far more explanation than I think my original comment deserved, but I enjoy explaining myself, so there you go.
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 12-07-2018 at 04:04 PM.

Some people aren't native speakers, don't forget these Unless you don't care cause if they don't understand, they have nothing to do here

The lowest levels are calibrated too (supposedly), I think something like the 5 highest and 5 lowest levels.
    All what I know is I use the lowest low all the time at night, it's my default turn on level. 0,07 or 0,08lm on older lights is too much and bothers me...Once again I think I have a good night vision, we are not all the same...I struggle under the sun !
    Want DC-fix? PM me!

since I have the brighter XP-L emitter, it almost certainly produces more than 0.02 lumens on the lowest setting..
    another joke?
    your 325 rotary has the same .02 minimum as other models

Quote Originally Posted by Hogokansatsukan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lithium466 View Post
    Some people aren't native speakers, don't forget these Unless you don't care cause if they don't understand, they have nothing to do here

The lowest levels are calibrated too (supposedly), I think something like the 5 highest and 5 lowest levels.
    All what I know is I use the lowest low all the time at night, it's my default turn on level. 0,07 or 0,08lm on older lights is too much and bothers me...Once again I think I have a good night vision, we are not all the same...I struggle under the sun !
    True. I forget that non-native speakers won't interpret tone the way I expect. Then again, I forget that native speakers won't interpret tone the way I expect, too.

Sudden bright light is extremely painful for me; even after 5 minutes of continuous exposure I sometimes struggle to open my eyes without pain. However, sunlight in normal conditions doesn't bother me, as long as the sun isn't shining directly in my face. My eyes have a wide range of sensitivity; some people have told me that's because I have very dark irises, so they block excess light more effectively. I have no scientific proof of this, however.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    another joke?
    your 325 rotary has the same .02 minimum as other models
    Nope, in that case I just didn't know what I was talking about. I stand corrected. In any event it's not a very useful setting for me, because it's rare that 0.02lm is significantly brighter than the ambient light wherever I happen to be. I know it's bright enough for me to see close-up in pitch-blackness, but that almost never happens.
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 12-07-2018 at 07:02 PM.

0.33 lumens when I first heard of it sounded like a joke but when your eyes are adapted to the dark you can very easily see to walk with it.

I know it's bright enough for me to see close-up in pitch-blackness, but that almost never happens.
    always good to share info and expand my horizons
    I consider myself fortunate to experience pitch black more often, and now I realize your environment is different

fwiw I also use my flashlight at any excuse, even if I could make it to the bathroom by feel, or on ambient light.
    and when I get there, I like to tailstand my firefly mode.. just for fun. I actually look forward to waking up to pee, so I can test the low modes on my lights :-)

0.33 lumens when I first heard of it sounded like a joke but when your eyes are adapted to the dark you can very easily see to walk with it.
    agree completely that .33 lumens is plenty to walk with in full darkness

Im very impressed with how low I can spin the rotary dial, and still navigate in the dark with that little hotspot.

. I actually look forward to waking up to pee, so I can test the low modes on my lights :-)

Yep..........................your a flashaholic alright

always good to share info and expand my horizons
    I consider myself fortunate to experience pitch black more often, and now I realize your environment is different

fwiw I also use my flashlight at any excuse, even if I could make it to the bathroom by feel, or on ambient light.
    and when I get there, I like to tailstand my firefly mode.. just for fun. I actually look forward to waking up to pee, so I can test the low modes on my lights :-)
    I do the same, because my bathrooms have no windows and also no electrical outlets so there is nowhere to plug-in a nightlight. Turning on the main lights would be excruciating, because I sleep with an eye-mask and my eyes are fully dark-adapted when I wake up in the middle of the night. (on the increasingly-rare occasion that I actually get to sleep during the night, anyway.) Also, I sit down to pee in the middle of the night because it's irritating enough to be awake at all, much less having to support my own weight and aim correctly.

I also bring a flashlight into the shower nowadays, partly because it's a convenient time to clean it, and partly because being covered in slippery soap in a windowless bathroom when the power goes out is a recipe for disaster.
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 12-08-2018 at 05:10 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12