Review: Olight S2R Baton II (EDC, 1x18650, magnetic recharge, flood)

Budda

Enlightened
Due to severe lack of time, this review is published in a shorter format. Also, since I relocated, I am still trying to get a new setup for my ceiling bounce measurements.
I apologise for the inconvenience.

I received the Olight S2R Baton II for the review from Olight.
The S2R Baton IIis the new updated version of the well known S2R Baton, a flood EDC with a XM-L2 emitter in a TIR optic powered by a 18650 rechargeable via Olight magnetic cable.

On www.olightstore.com there will be a flash sale regarding this product:

S2R II MAP:$69.99, 30% off ;

Date: November 9th whole day;

Sales price $48.99, you save $21USD

Free shipping.

Over $159 get a free S2A

The S2R comes in this box
Olight_S2R_Baton_II_01.jpg

Olight_S2R_Baton_II_02.jpg

Inside: the S2R, a 18650 3200mAh battery, a spare pocket clip, lanyard, charging cable, manual and pouch.
Olight_S2R_Baton_II_03.jpg

Olight_S2R_Baton_II_04.jpg

Olight_S2R_Baton_II_05.jpg

Olight_S2R_Baton_II_06.jpg

Olight_S2R_Baton_II_07.jpg

The main changes compared to the old S2R are: engraving on the bezel of the light, now indicating the color temperature and the CRI of the LED used (7500K, 70CRI), a different knurling (more deep, that provides superior grip compared to the previous one), the clip is now blued (to my eyes it looks like it has been tumbled and then blued), the electronic switch now contains a LED indicator of the charge status of the battery, and the charging cable has a different LED indicator.
Olight_S2R_Baton_II_10.jpg

Olight_S2R_Baton_II_11.jpg

Olight_S2R_Baton_II_12.jpg

Olight_S2R_Baton_II_13.jpg

Olight_S2R_Baton_II_08.jpg

Olight_S2R_Baton_II_09.jpg

Overall, these updates are the same that have been implemented on the previously reviewed Olight S1R II, beside the clip.
If you don't like the new blued clip, in the box there is also a regular black anodized one.

Before using the S2R II you need to remove the plastic spacer.
Olight_S2R_Baton_II_14.jpg

Olight_S2R_Baton_II_15.jpg

The size of the S2R Baton II is typical for a 18650 EDC.
Olight_S2R_Baton_II_16.jpg

Beamshots at 0.5 meters from the wall.
Olight_S2R_Baton_II_20.jpg

Olight_S2R_Baton_II_21.jpg

Olight_S2R_Baton_II_22.jpg

Olight_S2R_Baton_II_23.jpg

Olight_S2R_Baton_II_24.jpg

I can tell you that the beam of the S2R Baton II is the standard TIR one: big bright regular circular spot with a wide but overall less bright spill. There are no artifacts and the beam is suitable for medium to close distances.

Output and runtime
Olight_S2R_Baton_II_17.png

Olight_S2R_Baton_II_18.png

Olight_S2R_Baton_II_19.png

My thoughts
The light is well built and finished.
I like the interface that allows to access directly to last used mode, minimum and maximum output. The regulation is fine at the tested level. I would like to have another level between the Turbo (1150 rated lumen) and the high mode (400 lumens).
I like that turning on and off happens not with a sudden change of brightness (like from 0 to turbo) but with a ramping (fast but noticeable). Even the stepdown from Turbo to high mode takes about one minute to be complete.
The upgrades are all useful: the knurling is more effective, the LED indicator for the charge of the 18650 is easy to read and provides useful information. The different LED on the charging cable makes it have a less "flashy" look but it is a bit dim for my taste.

As usual when it comes to Olight's proprietary charging system, you have the two sides of the coin.
From one side the charging works very well, with the magnets built in the cable and the tailcap that connect very easily without having to align them manually; you don't have to fidget with the cable to start the charging and remove the cable when the charging is done. Also, the cable used to charge this light is basically the same for almost all Olight lights and so it's not a specific cable that you have to reserve for the S2R Baton II only.
On the other side, this only works with Olight's proprietary 18650 batteries (although the light works fine with regular 18650 cells).

I would like to see this light come in a neutral white HICRI version and with a sheath.

Thanks to: AntoLed for the camera help and the luxmeter.

Last edited:

Dario

Newly Enlightened
I have this light and wanted to share some observations on the ergos and usability.

Pros

• Fit and finish are quite good for the money. This is nicely done light.
  • Physical ergos are good. This is obviously small light for being a 18650. It's about the same size as my Sunwayman V11R, which is an AA light.
  • The clips (comes with 2) are surprisingly good. My initial reaction was "here's another clip that will pop off as soon as I use it." But it hangs on quite well. It comes with a large blue clip installed. A smaller one is included as well. I would of course prefer a collar clip that gets screwed down between the body and head (captive), but this one is ok.
  • Output options are good for me. In the normal scrolling though light levels moonlight and turbo and not included - they both require special button presses. This a good idea and keeps the cycling to a minimum.
  • Memory that goes back to the last brightness setting (but not turbo, which is fine)
  • Two timers to automatically shut off the light (3 mins and 9 mins)
  • Engraving the output, color temp, CRI on the bezel - very cool. Nice touch.
Pro or Con depending on your point of view, or minor issues

• As Budda mentioned, the proprietary charger is both good and bad. Works well, is waterproof, no rubber flaps to break off. Durability on the light seems excellent. But when you forget it, or lose it, or break the charger, this becomes another non rechargeable light.
  • Battery goes in upside down relative to most other lights. Not a big deal, but why? I'm guessing it's because the bottom doesn't unscrew and they didn't want a spring down there that you couldn't get to. Is seems like this could have been designed around. Very minor issue.
  • Strobe. Why lights have a strobe so easily accessible? Two clicks to get into turbo mode, 3 clicks for strobe. The good news is that any click disables it, but by then you have likely destroyed your vision for several seconds by accidentally going to strobe. A strobe lockout would be nice.
  • Clip: while it's good for retention, it lines up 180 degrees from the side button. So it creates a hot spot when hold it and using the button. It works well for retention of the light, not so well when holding it.
  • It says 7500 color temp, which I agree seems crazy high. But on a white wall compared to more neutral lights it doesn't seem that cool to me. Maybe my eyes suck(?). Had I known it was 7500 before buying I would not have done so. Despite the number, it doesn't seem bad color-wise.
Cons

• The on/off vs. output selection of the side button unintuitive: Short press for off and on, long press to change brightness. Even after a couple of days I intuitively want to do a short press to change brightness since this is how most other side buttons work. I would much prefer a long press for on and off. This would have complicated things since a long press is used for lockout, but they could have found another way to do lockout. This really takes this light to an annoying level of usage for me. Every. Single. Time. I have to remember that it's long presses to get change the output. This is a big negative for me.
  • Proprietary battery to charge. Is this necessary? Seems minor, but not great and could have been done better.

This is a very nice, small light that could be a great one. I suspect they wanted to hit a price-point and adding some of the other features I mentioned would have pushed it over. I would gladly pay another $10-20 for this light to get those features. The side button functionality isn't a cost issue and could have been done better, I think.

Last edited:

UnderPar

Enlightened
Been waiting for a review of this light. Thanks for coming up with this. Will get one for sure to replace or complement my old and reliable S2.:twothumbs:twothumbs

Dobbler

Enlightened
Is it possible to run this light with 2 x CR123? I know it's not officially supported, but has anyone tried it :faint: ?