[Review] Olight S2R Baton II

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Following the recent release of Olight S1R Baton II, it's inevitable that the bigger brother, S2R Baton, will follow suit with an update: S2R Baton II.

First, let's take a look at the specifications:
5qcjm4v.png

S2R Baton II box... I'm thinking of doing away with these box shots in future as it doesn't serve much purpose for review... coz nothing special about the box. not like we can fold it to become a display case for the light or something... you know what I mean...
3pAorB7.jpg

u5T0IeU.jpg

what's included in S2R Baton II package:
gChmMEI.jpg

S2R Baton II flashlight, MCC II charger, User Manual, small pouch, wrist-yard, an extra black clip (for if you dislike the aesthetic of the blue clip). Note that the battery is pre-installed in the S2R Baton II and you need to remove the insulation film before charging or using.

the User Manual
vzQRMY8.jpg

DH2UTUz.jpg

and a few random pictures of the S2R Baton II...
3zIOTdZ.jpg

vYp7bFO.jpg

fiXki9a.jpg

the blue clip is aesthetically pleasing to view at for yours truly. I like it.

0tRyEVE.jpg

tVHYXDa.jpg

the bezel is slightly protruded, although I still prefer the bezel like S1R Baton II or the one on S30R III where the bezel diameter is as wide as the head itself.

MNbVBkv.jpg

engraving on the bezel ring is now a standard feature for all new Olight flashlights... CCT 7500K, CRI-70, and 1150 lumens.
(note: I'm not too sure about that 7500K... to my eyes, it seems to be 6000-6500K than 7500K)

HP2sQ73.jpg

according to Olight datasheet, this S2R Baton II is using Luminus SST-40 CW LED instead of CREE XM-L2 in the older S2R Baton.

the tailend.
P6sH8lB.jpg

S2R Baton II has do away with tailcap, the body and tail is a uni-body, like S1R Baton II, although it's still a 2 part flashlight.
Olight has also "fixed" the fire-starting capability of previous magnetic rechargeable contact, they have limited the current flow at the exposed contacts to ~4.3mA for S2R Baton II and ~2.4mA for S1R Baton II.

a couple of notes about UI on this S2R Baton II:
  • utilising the trial and tested S-series UI, no surprises
  • Single click to switch On or Off the S2R Baton II
  • The main mode cycle is Low, Medium and High, mode are cycle through long press of the side switch
  • Direct access to Turbo 1150 (I tested higher) lumens by double-clicking in any mode (including from Off)
  • Direct access to Strobe by triple-clicking in any mode (including from Off)
  • From Off, long press (~2 seconds) to access Moon-mode, 0.5 lumens
  • From Off, long press (~3 seconds) to activate Electronic Lockout. If you think counting to 3 seconds is not cool, then you can continue to hold the side switch when the light turned-on in Moon-mode and let go when it turned-off.
  • To deactivate Electronic Lockout, long press (~2 seconds) until you get Moon-mode. Or you could loosen the body half turn and tighten it back, the Electronic Lockout will be disengaged due to current cut-off.

There are 2 off-timer functions on this S2R Baton II:
  • A single flash signal a short 3 minutes off-timer is in effect, while double flash signal a long 9 minutes off-timer is in effect.
  • From On, double-click and hold the side switch to engaged one of the two off-timer.
  • Repeat the double-click and hold to alternate between the 2 off-timer
  • The only way to deactivate the off-timer is to turn the light OFF and ON again.

the two parts construction of S2R Baton II
i4xdRll.jpg

inside the body is the positive and negative terminal contact
0Vu1cZR.jpg

The new MCC II charger in action...
eKopUfN.jpg

red while charging in progress

yZLJtTO.jpg

green when charging completed.
Olight claimed faster charging for this MCC II, although it is true for S1R Baton II, but on this S2R Baton II, the increase in charging rate is not significant and it's definitely slower than using cradle charger like XTAR SV2 charging at 1A.

a small LED at the switch to indicate the battery charge level
XZZ5sOb.jpg

green means all is ready and good...

TRWU0sl.jpg

yellow means you have approximately less than 50% of juice left...

StPkAIw.jpg

red means don't carry this light for any tactical application until you recharge it fully...

Like S1R Baton II, this new LED indicator is On automatically whenever you ON the S2R Baton II in all modes EXCEPT the Moon mode. I'm again don't know why would Olight left out the Moon mode but it is what it is. Guess this is one of those Olight mystery that we will never know...

The battery included with S2R Baton II
LvRPofU.jpg

ORB-186C32

ImTBnfC.jpg

EWmpmmo.jpg

drCAO49.jpg

the dual polarity at the button top end (positive terminal in normal battery)

like many rechargeable series from Olight, you need to insert the battery with the button facing the tail and the flat negative contact facing the head.
1N6UJpo.jpg

Comparing with S1R Baton II
lZTHbXG.jpg

PWfFK7f.jpg

and comparing the clips that is used in a few Olight flashlghts...
AM6nADw.jpg

My measured output of S2R Baton II
N4nyHxR.png

The usual disclaimer: I do not claim the above measured lumens as authoritative nor an indication of over/under-stating the number given by manufacturer. It's calibrated against some known light output (e.g. SureFire, Elzetta, etc.) so take it with a grain of salt and just as a relative reading.

and now, Turbo runtime test
th6sRzm.png

Review conclusion:
A short, small-size 18650 light that is comfortable to hold and use. The new blue clip adds no new functionality to the light, but it sure is aesthetically pleasing. What I would really like to see is:
  • include the 3500mAh higher capacity battery (included in S30R III) instead of the 3200mAh
  • longer Turbo runtime than just mere 2 minutes. I strongly believe a 5 minutes Turbo before step-down is reasonable for S2R Baton II
  • Introduce a gradual step-down for Turbo, e.g. 1,150 -> 900 -> 600 -> 400.

oh... I'll leave you with a section of the user manual to ponder upon...
yOBDGHq.png

:eek: :popcorn:

Last edited:

HandyRandy

Newly Enlightened
Great review. I am buying this for a winter backpacking trip. It will get very cold. Will the included battery be sufficient for very cold temps or would I see any improvements by using a different battery when I expect to use it in this way?

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
most LiIon battery will not perform to its full potential in very cold temperature. I do not have an environment to simulate the below freezing temperature (a freezer is not an ideal test environment), so I can't honestly attest to S2R Baton II battery performing well in that scenario, sorry.
however, if you can "warm-up" the LiIon battery (there are various methods to do that), you should be good to go although the runtime may take a hit.
I would recommend to bring along a Primary Lithium cell battery flashlight or headlamp as backup, e.g. Olight's M1T (CR123A), Olight S1A (AA), or the good offering from Malkoff, SureFire, Elzetta, etc. as the Primary Lithium cell can operate at greater temperature range at -40°C to 60°C (-40°F to 140°F) while a normal LiIon cell discharge temperature range is typically in the range of -20°C to 60°C.

Mjskia

Newly Enlightened
@rookiedaddy this looks like a great light! It's on my list to buy.

SKV89

Enlightened
Here are measurements taken with the Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with Maukka lights. Readings taken at 2 seconds.

Olight S2R Baton II CopperTurbo1,291 lumens6703K0.0007 DUV66.9 CRI-28.0 R940.7 R1261 Rf97 Rg