Maglites are powerful!

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to this slashdot post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I was reading this discussion a while ago, and I laughed out loud when i chanced across that post. Wait till he sees a Space Needle II or a SureFire M6! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe he is seeing his veins with his powerful Magl!te, not his bones. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I was doing some manual labor a few weekends ago and I believe I must have hit the inside of my wrist on the thumb side against something. Within a few days a bump rose up but I didn't remember hurting myself so I went to the doctor to see what it was. This, after some co-workers said it was probably a cyst and other co-workers said is might be a blood clot...that wouldn't be good.

The nurses thought it was a cyst but the doctor said it was a hematoma because it hurt. They did an x-ray. Nothing showed up so he concluded it was a hematoma. I didn't believe it was either. I went home.

Remembering a post about seeing veins in your fingers by using a flashlight, I got out a MadMax. I lightly pressed it into the middle of my wrist and could see veins. I slowly moved it toward the bump and when the head was right next to the bump, the bump became brighter than the surrounding area. I think it did this because it had clear fluid in it. IOW it reacted like a little water balloon to the light.

I think my diagnosis with a flashlight was correct. I showed some co-workers this in a conference room with no lights on. They were truly amazed. Maybe a member with medical knowledge can tell me if, in fact, I was right.

I apologize for the OT, Chamenos. I thought you might find this interesting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
icebreak:

this is the forum for off-topic posts anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and i did find your post interesting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i don't deny he could see his veins or bones with a maglite; i just found it amusing he thought maglites were "powerful" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

6pOriginal

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
chamenos said:
According to this slashdot post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I was reading this discussion a while ago, and I laughed out loud when i chanced across that post. Wait till he sees a Space Needle II or a SureFire M6! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The M6 probably won't work for this, you are going to burn your hand with it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
pedalinbob -

I thought it was clear fluid and not a cyst. I'll go with what you said though. I believe you know a tad more about medicine than I do. Patent it? Heh heh. I'll bet you've used this method before I did so, it's all yours.

chamenos -

Yes, that was amusing to me as well. I found it further entertaining that he was dispelling a myth with two more myths. One that he could see his finger bones with a flashlight and Two, as you pointed out, that Magl!tes are powerful.

It would be fun to see the look on the Slashdot poster's face when he fired up a SF M6.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, 6pOrigninal, I don't have a SF M6 but I did try it with a CA/WA01185 modded 3D Magl!te maybe around 45 watts. I could see veins alright but could only sustain it for a couple of seconds. Curiosity...what are ya gonna do with it?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think if Maglite put a lithium powered Luxeon Star LED on the market, they would sell lots of them (especially to flashaholics). The design of Maglites is good.....good switch, built like a tank, reliable, durable, nice looking. Their negatives are poor beam quality, poor size:brightness ratio, and out-of-date technology (plus they sue the heck out of small companies).

Lithium batteries could make a maglite small yet powerful. Current maglites are too big for their brightness. I hope Maglite does in fact make LEDs...the more competion in the industry the better IMO.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nicely written piece over there, Jon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Its still never fails to amaze me how ppl (non flashaholics) still have the word 'Maglite' etched in their mind when they see or hear about a powerful flashlight. Then again that's another discussion altogether thats been beaten into the ground many times before...

Thanks for the post Cham, its just amusing how ppl react to bright flashlights sometimes... A friend of mine was going for a 4x4 offroad trip last weekend, so I passed him my X5t to use for the trip. First reaction he had when I showed him the brightness of the fella... "Is that a Maglite?" Oh well, I almost retracted the offer to loan him my X5t!! Anyway, he was impressed by it and after a brief explanation on Leds and Lithiums (and of course, putting the Maglite in place where it should be), he asked me to order another one for him! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Icebreak said:
pedalinbob -

I thought it was clear fluid and not a cyst. I'll go with what you said though. I believe you know a tad more about medicine than I do. Patent it? Heh heh. I'll bet you've used this method before I did so, it's all yours.

chamenos -

oops..no, i didnt realize it appeared to be a fluid collection!

hey, for that you could name it the divining rod-light.

is the lump improving? a fluid collection would be easier to treat than a cyst--either it would self-resolve or it could be "incision and drainage" treatment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Bob