New Project, Need Ideas for Drivers, etc

Sirstanky

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. So I'm going to take my first stab at a normal flashlight project. I've built 2 crazy lights out of those krypton handheld ones that run on the 6V lantern type batteries recently. I did a 100W COB led and then a 8 or 9W one (over driving a 5W led). I decided to try to build one based on an old Energizer 2D light I found. I had planned on a 5W, but discovered the magical Cree XHP70.2. I'm building a spotlight type light with one of those now and it's stipid bright at 14.5 volts and 2.5A (fan cooled). So that's my platform and plan... old Energizer 2D, Cree XHP70.2, two 26650 li-ions, an aluminum heatsink. All thats missing is a switch, driver, and how to connect everything to make it work as my light is all plastic. Any ideas? I heard the Chinese drivers all suck, and I'm trying to avoid complicated setups. I looked at AdventureSports 10A driver and I think that's the one I'm going to get, but any and all ideas are welcome! All I have is a pile of parts!

Best
Nick

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
so, 75 views without a reply. I'd say you are the one to determine your direction. What voltage does the XPH70.2 need? That, coupled with the size/ amount/ capacity of the battery/ batteries you wish to use will guide you in driver selection.

You can also run your idea by Matt at Adventure Sports, he's a modder from the ground up

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Sirstansky, and welcome to the forum!

I don't know anything about your background or expertise, so please forgive me if it seems like I'm talking down to you. That is absolutely not my intention.

One of the big differences between LED and incandescent lights ('regular', 'halogen', 'xenon', etc., basically, anything with a filament), is that LEDs cannot handle the high temperatures that incans can handle. Incan bulbs often run with bulb surface temperatures of 200°C or (perhaps significantly) higher. Filament temperatures are way higher than that. With LEDs we are concerned with the 'die temperature'. This is similar to the filament temperature in that it's the temperature of the element that is actually emitting light. Die temperatures are rated at (typically) 85°C, (max) 125°C. Compare this with 'way higher' than 200°C.

What this all says is that you need to keep an LED cool, while you do not need to keep an incan cool to any such degree. This single fact drives enormous differences between incan and LED lights.

You talk about running an XHP70. While this can generate a lot of light, it also generates a lot of heat. Remembering that metal conducts heat much better than plastic, you may find that in a plastic light the heat limitations are much more severe than any others. I would suggest that if you plan to put an XHP70 in a plastic flashlight, you should pay much more attention to heat than anything else.