Malkoff M91BW worth owning?

flashlightsarecool

Newly Enlightened
I own an MD2, Wildcat V6, Hound Dog XM-L2 and Hound Dog 18650 all neutral/warm. Is it worth adding an MD3/High-Low/M91BW to the stable? I can't seem to find any beam shots of the warm M91B.

Thanks for your input.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my opinion, the M91 overlaps too much with your existing collection. Probably not worth the investment. Your Hound dog has more throw, the Wildcat has more flood, and the M61 is bright enough to hold its own. I understand why it's tempting, though. Earlier this year, I sold a number of Malkoffs because I had too many with overlapping specs.

flashlightsarecool

Newly Enlightened
Very good point. Theres a lot of overlap between the two hound dog models. When looking at beamshots the Hound Dog XM-l2 looks brighter with more spill. In the back yard they look the same. The 18650 of course has the better form factor and I think the tint is nicer.

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
That's a great set of Malkoff's you've got there. I'm jealous. I think I'm about to start selling some of my Sebenzas to do the same.
Seems like adding a Super HD and/or MDC or Bodyguard would cover the full range.

flashlightsarecool

Newly Enlightened
ThatÂ's a great set of MalkoffÂ's youÂ've got there. IÂ'm jealous. I think IÂ'm about to start selling some of my Sebenzas to do the same.
Seems like adding a Super HD and/or MDC or Bodyguard would cover the full range.

Cool knives! A couple of those would definitely finance some malkoff's

Malkoff lights are worth every penny. I avoided them for years. Didnt understand why people went on and on and on for literally hundreds of pages on this forum about how great they are. Really. They are expensive, not as bright and lack many features modern lights have. Then I bought one and handled it. The build quality is insane. Better than Surefire and Streamlight. The beam profile and tint are perfect. Other lights feel cheap in comparison. Other brands neutral/warm tints look dingy. Youll just have to buy one, handle it and see the beam to fully appreciate a Malkoff light. Looking at specs/pictures doesnt do them justice.

Last edited:

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
I now have a MD2 Hi/Lo and ordered a MDC AA today. Have had an HD18650 in my cart a while.
They remind me of my Sebenzas. Once you have one you want one of each variety.
If I know me I'll keep scrounging and collecting them until they've replaced every other light in my drawers, boat, car console and backpack.
It's a sickness.

SWF

Newly Enlightened
I say go for the M91B. There are times you'll want the floody Wildcat, and there are times you'll want the size and throw of a Hound Dog. But there will be plenty of times when you'll want something in the middle - something just right. That's when you need the M91B

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I didn't buy any of the 3 cell lights for years, but within the last year, I bought the M91T and the M91BW. I like them both a lot. I use the Hound Dog 18650 neutral at work, but around the house and the back yard I am loving the M91BW. It is the only warm tint light I have. I like, cool, neutral, and warm depending on what I am doing. I bought a couple rechargeable IMR AW button top cells at a vape shop in my area. They work great. I have the crenelated bezel and tri cap. It is one of my favorite lights. It is much brighter than the M61 and has a really nice low mode. It also throws farther than I thought it would. I imagine it does what his specs say on the website. I am very glad I bought it. I don't consider it overlap. I think I read someone say it is like an m61 on steroids. I would say that is pretty accurate. The spill and the hotspot is much fuller.

tom-

Enlightened
without question, the Hound Dog Super

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I was kinda in the same boat as you. Had M61 and talked myself into getting a M61T. When compared to the standard M61 in my MD2 both running off of a 18650 the difference was not huge at all. So I run the 61T in my MD3. Using 18500's or 3 primaries the throw and output is very noticeable so that's where it stays. Was thinking of one of the 91 Dropins but don't think they would be a huge difference so no point in my mind.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, the Wildcat is the determining factor. I can't find any good reason to own both a Wildcat and an M91BW, unless the motive is purely collection. Just one guy's opinion, though. Maybe some folks just like torches for torches' sake.

Not that I would know anything about that.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
That is a good point. I have both, but use the 91BW more. I think for someone looking to buy just one or the other would prefer the Wildcat for pure flood. The 91BW definitely has a hot spot.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Beam wise, I actually like the M91 best over the A and B variants. It emits a "wall of light" which reminds me of my old Surefire LuxV L4 but way more powerful. Absolutely wonderful drop in.