Time for a new light -- looking for ideas

ksu499

Newly Enlightened
I have not acquired a new light since getting a Jetbeam PC25 several years ago and I'm feeling the need for something new. I'm discovering there are many more options in both models and makers than the last time I looked, and I'm feeling lost in a forest. I'd like to present my specs and get some recommendations - just make and model is fine - I'll do the research.
  • 3-4 modes + turbo (perfect would be moonlight, low, medium, high, turbo)
  • high should be >500 lumens
  • tailcap forward clicky to control on/off
  • side swich to cycle modes
  • remembers last mode selected
  • uses CR123a (2) or 18650 batteries
  • USB recharging would be interesting
  • good balance between flood and throw

Who are the likely suspects?

Thanks very much.

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
Fenix Pd35 or UC35 for USB charging checks all boxes and good price. But, I'd prefer the Zebralight SC600iv with single side switch and fully programmable because personally dislike having to use multiple switches to reach a level.
A number of NiteCore lights would fit the bill and add USB charging.
Lots of other good options but these should be on your list.

Last edited:

parametrek

Enlightened
Punching those requirements into my database finds 16 lights you might like. The biggest difference between them is the lowest mode. If you want a really low 0.5 lumen firefly then Thrunite has several options but I'd start with the $60 TC12 V2. The $80 Nitecore MH12 has a 1 lumen moonlight. The $65 Jetbeam SF-R26 has a 10 lumen moonlight.

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
Just looked up the specs on your old Jetstream and think you'd find both the Fenix and Notecore very similar with more lumens. If that's what you're after, you'd likely be happy with either.

But, like many users my desires have evolved to wanting rugged simplicity with less modes, higher efficiency and bulletproof reliability. If that's the case take a look at the Malkoff off the shelf offerings or roll your own. I'm on my second and they are all I really want to use these days.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore P30 is a nice all-around light. As a single 18650/2xCR123/2x18650 cell light, it is small enough to fit comfortably on a belt, yet still can reach out ~600 meters when needed. It has a nice tight center beam, while the spill will light up your surroundings without making it hard to see details at the end of the beam. I normally EDC a Nitecore EA11 14500 light, but when I think I might need to reach out further, the P30 is what I carry.
Nitecore also makes several lights in the MT and MH (USB rechargeable) series that should fit your needs, I am just not familiar with them.

ksu499

Newly Enlightened
Just looked up the specs on your old Jetstream and think you'd find both the Fenix and Notecore very similar with more lumens. If that's what you're after, you'd likely be happy with either.

But, like many users my desires have evolved to wanting rugged simplicity with less modes, higher efficiency and bulletproof reliability. If that's the case take a look at the Malkoff off the shelf offerings or roll your own. I'm on my second and they are all I really want to use these days.

Thanks for the Malkoff reminder. I actually have a M61 High/Low MD2 I got as a gift from Malkoff several years ago. I use it almost every day and it's a great little light. I guess I'm so used to it I didn't think about looking at what's new with Malkoff.