Mushy control-ring on Kroma-Milspec

choombak

Enlightened
I have a Kroma-Milspec, serial B8xxxx where the control ring select white, yellow-green, blue, red and IR. However, the stops are very mushy and not crisp, reducing the tactile feedback (so it is much easy to skip a color if you aren't careful). Since this is my only Kroma-Milspec light, I'd like to know if this is by-design or are the stops crisp (I can hear soft clicks)? I figured I'd ask the community before sending in the light to SureFire, or trying to fix it meself (well, there is no obvious access to the control-ring internals, but I can tinker). Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thanks archimedes. I am not the first owner, so have no history for the light. I will work with SureFire to see if this can be rectified.
Certainly. Any updates will be of interest, if you care to post these.

I suspect, however, that repair may be extremely difficult. And I believe that particular model is long discontinued, so exact replacement may be dependent on availability of NOS parts.

You may well want to clarify your preferences in advance, if (for example) you do or don't want an "best alternative" solution.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect, however, that repair may be extremely difficult. And I believe that particular model is long discontinued, so exact replacement may be dependent on availability of NOS parts.

I've also got a MilSpec with a missing stop on the control ring, it rotates all the way around continuously. I don't think the light has detents like the U2. Or, is it the other way around? My wife organized my lights a while back and it will take a year to get them scattered through the house again. :)

According to surefire.com they still have some Kroma MilSpec's available on the outlet page: https://www.surefire.com/outlet.html

I've been hesitant to send my light in after hearing some stories here about replacements for warranty repairs but maybe they can either fix the light or replace it with new old stock.

choombak

Enlightened
This was the first time when SureFire responded back to me the same day evening with an RMA#. They also stated Kroma-Milspec is an older light and normal wear-and-tear is not covered, so it may be returned "as-is". I am not sure if this would be normal wear-and-tear, given the light does not have any signs of abuse (not chips, dings, dents). Maybe the mechanism goes bad with time.

The lights are on way to their Fountain Valley, CA facility. Will certainly post updates. Thanks everyone!

altermann

Enlightened
I fixed the same issue dremeling the same plastic spring from plastic bottle nose [emoji23]

choombak

Enlightened
Certainly. Any updates will be of interest, if you care to post these.

You may well want to clarify your preferences in advance, if (for example) you do or don't want an "best alternative" solution.

Figured I'll update the thread and bring it to logical closure. So I sent in the light to SureFire, and indeed they did tell me upfront that repair may be difficult since it has been discontinued. I responded back stating they should still look at it, and indicated willingness to accept it back "as-is". Exactly a month passed, and I was pleasantly surprised when the Kroma showed up via UPS, in fully working condition. The light has minor pinhead sized ano missing, result of the repair, but I am not complaining - the mushiness is gone, and its control ring clicks-clicks-clicks.

Thanks archimedes and others who contributed to this discussion!

Last edited: