Help! Arc 4+ seconds -- are any a keeper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Straight upfront, these are seconds we're talking about. They have identifiable warts, and that's why they are discounted. If I wanted a perfect 4+, I should pony up the extra $80 and get a first. OK, disclaimer done, now help me decide what to do with my three seconds.

When the "foot in the door" was announced, I thought, I can't wait for the new Firefly or the VIP, this is the opportunity to get a 1x123 Luxeon, just the impulse Peter's promotion was designed to evoke.

But, when I factored in the cost of a twistie and a couple of gadget-lover's hi-lo drop-ins, it costs more than a 4+ second. I've seen the glowing reports on 4+ seconds, and it sounded good, I could live with some slight tint, anodizing problems, some extra current draw. I threw up my hands, ordered three and thought my biggest problem would be which one to EDC, which one for home and who would I give or sell the third one to? Here are the results:

#0147 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Outside: fit and anodizing lovely (minor banding in middle section), 4+ and serial number overprinted, no biggie tho
LED and reflector: perfect, LED seated just right, reflector stunning, no epoxy blobs or farkle
Beam: pea green and dim
Overall: unacceptable, wouldn't think of EDCing and would never foist it on anyone here

#0164 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Outside: fit and anodizing lovely (minor banding in middle section, otherwise perfect)
LED and reflector: large air bubble in LED, reflector perfect
Beam: white, dim, but major power/current/switch problem: within a few minutes either 1) it locks into an error (flashing hi-lo) and won't turn off; or 2) it starts at its highest level and immediately drops to third-highest level
Overall: unacceptable, locks into error over 50% of time, definitely broken light

#0999 (cool serial no.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Outside: fit and anodizing lovely (minor banding in middle section, otherwise perfect)
LED and reflector: large blob of epoxy where LED seats; small blobs/spots of white gunk ON LED; manufacturing error in reflector, it looks incompletely coated or treated, resulting in a wrinkle or line in the reflector (so it's not smooth); tiny bit of lint sitting sealed in the reflector
Beam: nice white beam (slight green tint), makes all 16 levels, brightness and options menus OK
Overall: looking into the reflector is disappointing, but performance seems good. But, if the gunk wasn't there and the reflector was perfect, I am sure there would be a small yet measurable improvement in brightness. Can the gunk on the LED burn?

Dilemma, what to do. The first two are pretty easy, I can't imagine giving or selling anyone something that really doesn't work, I think they have to go back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The problem is #0999, seems to work well, but I have no first to compare it to. I can compare it to the LSH-P I just acquired from kaseri: it's brighter at level 4 than the LSH, but the LSH has much better finish inside the reflector; the anodizing and matching on the LSH is better, and this LSH costs less. Do I keep it, or should I save my pennies for a few more months and get a first 4+? Or just wait for the VIP?

What to do? I welcome everyone's thoughts, which I thanks you in advance for! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
Daloosh

Miciobigio

Enlightened
If i were you i'll keep the #999 and return the others ; but from your words i think that you 'll sell the #999 for more than 99$ , if i haven't an Arc4+ second yet, i would pay 110$ for an Arc4+ than on level 4 is brighter than a LSHP !!!

unnerv

Enlightened
I have a second an on the reflector there is a noticeable change in texture on about 1/4 of it(only noticeable with the light on and looking at the reflector. I does not seem to affect the beam at all. I got to compare it to a 1st the other night at the bay area get together and brightness look about the same on the ceiling test. The reflector bugged me, but after comparing it to the 1st I can live with it for $80 off because in the beam, I could not tell the difference at all.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
unnerv said:
I have a second an on the reflector there is a noticeable change in texture on about 1/4 of it(only noticeable with the light on and looking at the reflector. I does not seem to affect the beam at all. I got to compare it to a 1st the other night at the bay area get together and brightness look about the same on the ceiling test. The reflector bugged me, but after comparing it to the 1st I can live with it for $80 off because in the beam, I could not tell the difference at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

This blemish of the reflectors is not just with the 2nds. It's present in many of the 1sts (Premiums) as well.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Thanks for the insights, greatly appreciated:

Miciobigio - I am leaning to keeping the #0999 for myself. The LSH-P, once I get a twisty, will still be smaller and easier to pocket, but the 4+ is brite! I would say the LSH-P is somewhere between levels 4 and 5, closer to 5 on the 4+. I still get almost 23 minutes at level 1 before it drops to 2, so the 4+ seems to draw normal current (not sure how to measure that).

unnerv and this is nascar - nice to know it's not an isolated problem. It's unfortunate that the pea green 4+ (#0147) is so beautiful inside, looks clean and sharp compared to the #0999, which looks like a NYC street after New Year's Eve. But like I said, it's brite!

daloosh

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
The #2 sounds like not calibrated - it goes into calibrating mode when it gets hot - the high-low flashing indicates its getting calibrated - this unit needs to go back to ARC for reprogramming I think - just like mine.

Klaus

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Thanks Klaus,

Is that what the hi-lo flashing indicates? I notice it does that also when you error out on the options or brightness menus. But you are right, it gets hot and then flashes.

I sent it and the pea green one back to Arc today with an explanatory note.

daloosh

Status
Not open for further replies.