Surefire Fury DFT with a twisty tailcap?

Tierlieb

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

when Surefire announced the Fury DFT, I thought "dang, they started listen to the fans": 1500 lumen and a 18650 battery? That felt quite modern or their standards. So I ordered one.
It finally made it across the ocean and I was surprised:

The seller advertised it as "momentary-on mode is simple to active - you just have to press the tailcap. Twist the tailcap for the constant-on mode". A typical twisty. Usually that is what "Tactical" means with Surefire.

But I got a clicky instead. No surprise there, a closer look at SF's homepage shows they only offer that version: "Press tailcap slightly for momentary-on, or fully press and click for constant-on"

Anyway, I am stuck on the other side of the world with a great light with a UI that is useless for my purposes. Is there any way to replace the tailcap with one from another SF? Or modify the existing clicky tailcap into momentary-on only?

I have noticed a few 3rd party replacement tailcaps for nearly the whole SF product palette. But this is a new model (no "2X" in the name anymore like with the older Furies) and since it is one of their first lights fitting a 18650 battery, the body might be different. Also, I buy Surefire for their reliability, so 3rd party solutions... meh.

Anyone know more about this?

Cheers,
T

Tierlieb

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I'll ask them.

Another question: I think the clicky switch is inserted into the end cap via the same threads that fix the endcap onto the body. There are three holes in the plate that covers the switch from below.

Does anyone know if I can simply unscrew this if I build myself a tool that fits the three holes? Maybe I can simply break the clickie to work as a momentary-on? I do not actually need the twist-for-constant-on part that comes with other endcaps.