How about a red ARC4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bricksie

Newly Enlightened
A red ARC4 would be great for astronomy, or other situations where maintaining night vision is essential. The ability to dim the light would make it easier on the eyes (I find a very bright red light to be annoying while trying to view close-up items or reading star charts) and also dramatically improve runtime. The brighter settings would be great for setting up the scope, walking through a star party without blinding other people, etc.

stefx

Newly Enlightened
what about a red lens for the Arc 4? iirc the Arc 4 lens can be replaced by the user, so you just have to find someone who can cut some good dichroitic filter glass to the proper size.

Stef

rodmeister

Enlightened
Buy a M****** filter kit. It comes with a rubber-like adapter ring and fits the ARC4 (without the clip) and comes with red, amber and clear filters. You could probably cut a notch in the adapter to fit the ARC4 with the clip. This would be much more versatile, retaining the option of using a white light and be a LOT CHEAPER.

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Exx series filters by SF fit too.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
reds are quite a bit different than whites/cyans/blues.

i'm not sure how easy it would be to have arc4's made in red.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
for that red filter ... I think a white LED (blue die with phosphor) has a very poor red spectrum, meaning that with a filter you'd need quite bright levels to achieve a bit of red light. try using an Arc AAA ...
bernhard

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
... you'd need quite bright levels to achieve a bit of red light...

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that the idea--to have a low level red light? Just place a red filter in front of your LS light next time and you'll be supprised with the amount of useable light you still get.

If you want blinding white, just take the filter off once your eyes are dark adapted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.