looking for a better hunting light

greyling22

Newly Enlightened
I've taken to shooting (at) hogs on our property and I'm wishing I had a better light setup. Right now I have a solarforce p6 clone wrapped in some tape attached to the front of the rifle (light is in a mount, but it was a loose and floppy fit, thus the tape) I think the head I have in there now is a cheap 1000(ish) lumin drop in. Now, I'm not a true flashlight aficionado, but I know I can buy a better drop in from pflexpro or sportac or malkoff, etc, but those are not cheap.

I really like the single 18650 setup because I have those batteries already and it makes a nice package to use when not in the rifle mount. I'd like to attach a remote switch, and I need the body to fit a 1" or 30mm weapons mount.

At what point should I be abandoning the p6 platform and using something else? Would my money be better spent on something newer like an olight javalot, fenix tk series or something? Will a newer light have a longer throw and ample spill? Better heat dissipation?

It's going on a suppresed AR, so recoil isn't a big issue. Shots would be within 50-100yds.

I'm not the expert, so I thought I would ask ya'll. What should I be looking at?

(and yes, something like the thrunite catapult v6 would be a better light, but I have mounting clearance and battery type issues with it.)

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore P30 is a nice mid-range thrower that would work well for you. Nitecore actually sells a hunter's kit for the P30 that includes the light, a rifle mount, and a remote switch for the light. The remote is on/off only, since the modes are selected by a side switch. IIRC, MSRP is around $150, but with the holiday sales you should be able to do better. Nitecore Store is running a series of Black Friday sales that might be worth looking at.