Muyshondt lights vs. BOSS 35/70 which to choose?

SCRRCS

Newly Enlightened
I have been collecting LED Flashlight with different bins for over 15 years now I used to really like CR123 flashlights but now have been leaning more towards 18650 flashlight due to longer run times, Wider heads for better throw and higher output. I have been looking at the muyshondt aeon mkIII S2 copper, Beagle mkI S2 copper and the BOSS 35/70. I was wondering if anyone who owns these lights has strong opinion of which is best. I mainly wonder about the throw and high quality bin LEDs. I assume the aeon is the best throw light but do wonder how it stacks up against the boss. I threw the beagle out because I really like the duel beam option but wonder how the throw compares to the other 2 lights I mentioned. Any input is positive and I am open to other comparable lights(tritium slotted preferably)

Thanks in advance!

Rob

scout24

Flashaholic
Welcome. The BOSS, by virtue of screaming output on high, out throws the others. Beagle second, Aeon is a smaller CR2 powered lower output light. All three use premium emitters.

wimmer21

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned them all and they're all very different. The Aeon is small and powered by the tiny CR2 cell, while the Beagle and Boss 35 are considerably larger and both are powered by an 18350 (The BOSS 70 runs on 2x18350 or 1x18650). There are huge differences between the Aeon and the Boss 35: the Aeon is a small single emitter torch with reflector that produces 160 lumens, while the Boss 35 is a triple, with optics, and is about 10x brighter. The Aeon is slightly "throwy" being that it has a reflector, and the Boss is pretty floody, but does have decent throw due to its high output. The Beagle might have a little more throw than the other two, but it's not super throwy either. The Beagle is very cool, but some of my friends have been unhappy with the beam temp and tint. One guy here swapped the emitter for a Nichia 219C, but supposedly the Muyshondt lights are difficult to open up for modding... Enrique doesn't plan on anyone modding his lights, but it can be done. Another difference between Muyshondt and BOSS is that since BOSS torches produce much more power, they can't be run continuously at maximum power... the other two can.

All three are quality semi custom lights, and they're all pricey. If you want a high quality custom that has better throw, you might want to look at a Haiku http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...mo-Available-Lights-Pricing-and-Ordering-Info. I have one with a Tana LE and it's freakin awesome! Another great semi custom torch with throw is the Cool Fall Spy series http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...e-Signup-Sales-thread-is-now-lt-lt-OPEN-gt-gt. They're even more pricey though... I paid $1,400 for the base model :faint:. It's damn nice and plenty powerful @ 3.3 amps.

AND there's still plenty more great quality lights to look at. Good luck!

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wimmer's response is probably better than mine, and I've also owned both. To answer your question, it's hard to compare the two, but if I could only choose one it would definitely be the BOSS.

thenikjones

Newly Enlightened
Agree with much of what Wimmer says. If you want an 18650 light then McGizmo does the AquaRam and Muyshondt does the Fleiger

My current carry is the BOSS 35, my wife likes my Haiku and I use my SPY around the house.

SCRRCS

Newly Enlightened
I've owned them all and they're all very different. The Aeon is small and powered by the tiny CR2 cell, while the Beagle and Boss 35 are considerably larger and both are powered by an 18350 (The BOSS 70 runs on 2x18350 or 1x18650). There are huge differences between the Aeon and the Boss 35: the Aeon is a small single emitter torch with reflector that produces 160 lumens, while the Boss 35 is a triple, with optics, and is about 10x brighter. The Aeon is slightly "throwy" being that it has a reflector, and the Boss is pretty floody, but does have decent throw due to its high output. The Beagle might have a little more throw than the other two, but it's not super throwy either. The Beagle is very cool, but some of my friends have been unhappy with the beam temp and tint. One guy here swapped the emitter for a Nichia 219C, but supposedly the Muyshondt lights are difficult to open up for modding... Enrique doesn't plan on anyone modding his lights, but it can be done. Another difference between Muyshondt and BOSS is that since BOSS torches produce much more power, they can't be run continuously at maximum power... the other two can.

All three are quality semi custom lights, and they're all pricey. If you want a high quality custom that has better throw, you might want to look at a Haiku http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...mo-Available-Lights-Pricing-and-Ordering-Info. I have one with a Tana LE and it's freakin awesome! Another great semi custom torch with throw is the Cool Fall Spy series http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...e-Signup-Sales-thread-is-now-lt-lt-OPEN-gt-gt. They're even more pricey though... I paid $1,400 for the base model :faint:. It's damn nice and plenty powerful @ 3.3 amps.

AND there's still plenty more great quality lights to look at. Good luck!
Thanks for this information, for some reason I was under the assumption that the aeon took 18350s!!

SCRRCS

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for your input. I was amazed how far muyshondt lights have come...I remember when the nautalis came out and haven't really investigated since! But on the other hand, it just seems like you get a lot more with the boss, so I plan to go this route.

Rob

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately I've never been able to get a BOSS but taking note of what Wimmer said even though I don't use high for a significant amount of time in one click of the button I value run time as well which I m thinking with such power runtime will not be that great? That said, I do have the Muyshondt Flieger in titanium and it has a VERY nice tint, great throw, and decent runtime. I don't like the company but the Flieger is great.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
I plan on getting a BOSS someday soon. I'm more into throwy lights though. I've owned an older Haiku years ago and loved the quality of it. I wasn't a fan of just 3 levels though and lower max lumens. With much more modern emitters though offering lumens in excess of 1000, can I get a Haiku with programming AND higher lumens nowadays?

Last edited:

thenikjones

Newly Enlightened
I plan on getting a BOSS someday soon. I'm more into throwy lights though. I've owned an older Haiku years ago and loved the quality of it. I wasn't a fan of just 3 levels though and lower max lumens. With much more modern emitters though offering lumens in excess of 1000, can I get a Haiku with programming AND higher lumens nowadays?

The Haiku now comes with a choice of 2 drivers - the newer one is the HIVE and is programmable with 4 levels. Costs an extra $5... Look at the McGizmo sub forum here, there is a Sticky thread about it.

Edit: the converter is the HIVE, designed by Rush

Last edited:

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I miss the Aeons of past (MK I/II) and Mako's.. but the current offerings from Muyshondt don't do much for me. There is a matter of customer service as well that leaves a lot to be desired. I'd go with the BOSS hands down.

SCRRCS

Newly Enlightened
I ended up missing out on the sinner customs light due to slow internet, so I order the boss 70 copper. Hard choice considering I could have got the aluminum version with both bodies for 100 less.

I have always wanted the mcgizmo but always have a hard time figuring out how to get one. I plan to get one eventually, but some of these small batch custum lights are intriguing.

Thanks again for everyone's input, I plan on looking into the other lights suggested.

Rob