Malkoff vme + m61 + mdc 123 body = weight ???

flashlightsarecool

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know how much this set up weighs? Considering this for edc.

Also, anyone have an M61wl? Is it bright enough for edc tasks or should I stick with the m61w?

Thank you for your input.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I have an E2E with an EtoC adapter and running a M61W. I'll bet it's very close to the setup you are planning and it's very easy to EDC and lightweight. I went with the w instead of the L or LL as I like a lot of light and the warm tends to not throw as well as my standard M61.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use an M61w for my hard hat light in a Surefire with the nitrolon body, solid amount of light and runtime.
I have an m61wl for around the house, it's not bright enough for when you walk into dark places from outside in daylight. It would be different if someone worked night shift but even then, the added range with the extra lumens would be helpful more often

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my opinion, the M61L variants are sufficient for EDC tasks. Another thing to consider is input voltage. The M61 series drop ins are designed to operate at full power between 3.4 and 9 volts. Thus, a single CR123 will not produce full output. You'd need a 16340 for that, in which case the full power version would eat your power supply in a hurry. The L variant would be preferable for that set up. Alternatively, you might consider the 16650 body or the 18650 body with an adapter.

Russ/TN

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know how much this set up weighs? Considering this for edc.

Also, anyone have an M61wl? Is it bright enough for edc tasks or should I stick with the m61w?

Thank you for your input.

I've been carrying that light with an M31W in it for the last 6 mos or so. like it quite a lot!

It weighs 3.3 Oz without the battery. It is a tad hefty but the weight does not bother me.
For me...quite nice for EDC.
Bone simple 1 speed Malkoff!

flashlightsarecool

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your input and insight. I think I'm going with the original
set up as planned. I called Gene about runtimes and he seems to think one of the imr16340 cells on his website will run the m61w for 45 minutes. The e2t head on INFRNL's runtime graph has the same driver. 45 mins to 50% with a keep power protected 16340. Not bad. Can always buy the M61wl later if runtimes are too short for practical purposes.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread inspired me. I already have an M61L 219b, so I ordered a VME head +1CR123 body. I also ordered some 16340s. Single speed. 100ish lumens. Diminutive form factor. Who can argue with that?

bignc

Enlightened
I carry one every day opposite a mdc 2-3v head with the bodyguard body. sometimes I carry the vme with a m31'll 219b, sometimes with a m31w and sometimes a m61WLL with a 16340. All work great but I use the 219 most. Just preferences.

DO IT.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those keeping score, I just ran my M61L 219b for 1 hour and 35 minutes on the 700 mAh 16340. I terminated the test for fear of over-discharging the cell.

Starting voltage: 4.14v
Ending voltage: 3.44v

The M61 series modules drop out of regulation at 3.4v anyway, so I consider an hour and a half to be the practical run time limit.