Red light

Cursum Perficio

Newly Enlightened
Hello CPF.

First post, and I came to ask for advice.

But I should say a little something first.
I'm in New Zealand, and do like a good torch, though I'm limited in knowledge of them which is, of course, why I'm here.

I do have 5 Zebralights, a Jetbeam RRT01, a Thrunite TN35 for the big jobs, and an el-cheapo penlite with a 10440 in it that seems to get used more often than all the rest :confused:

Anyway, a friend has asked me to find a headlight for her with red light, and here there's nothing to look at directly so it's all interweb research. And I want to get it right.

The headlight is for night sailing - marine conditions. I will copy/paste her words from an email:

"Re the head torches. We wear these at night sailing. You are correct in that we use the red so we do not upset the night vision. For that reason having a very bright (high lumens) is not critical. What is important is just that it has both white and red lights as most of the head torches I see only have white.

Lighter weight is probably better as these need to be either on our heads, around our necks or in our coat pockets.

It is not practical to go back to the cabin and get a torch when you are up on the foredeck or side rail at night."

I can (and have) google for a quality headlight with a red light , but if I'm spending someone else's money on something I don't get to handle/try first then I want to get it right as best I can.

So, I'm open to suggestions and advice. Price is fairly open.

Thank you :)

Mark Anthony

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Foxelli headlamp for my kids. There's 2 integrated Red LED's, waterproof, USB rechargeable and cheap and they haven't broken them yet.

Note the batteries are not replaceable but the red light just sips the juice.

Mark

insanefred

Enlightened
Hello CPF.

First post, and I came to ask for advice.

But I should say a little something first.
I'm in New Zealand, and do like a good torch, though I'm limited in knowledge of them which is, of course, why I'm here.

I do have 5 Zebralights, a Jetbeam RRT01, a Thrunite TN35 for the big jobs, and an el-cheapo penlite with a 10440 in it that seems to get used more often than all the rest :confused:

Anyway, a friend has asked me to find a headlight for her with red light, and here there's nothing to look at directly so it's all interweb research. And I want to get it right.

The headlight is for night sailing - marine conditions. I will copy/paste her words from an email:

"Re the head torches. We wear these at night sailing. You are correct in that we use the red so we do not upset the night vision. For that reason having a very bright (high lumens) is not critical. What is important is just that it has both white and red lights as most of the head torches I see only have white.

Lighter weight is probably better as these need to be either on our heads, around our necks or in our coat pockets.

It is not practical to go back to the cabin and get a torch when you are up on the foredeck or side rail at night."

I can (and have) google for a quality headlight with a red light , but if I'm spending someone else's money on something I don't get to handle/try first then I want to get it right as best I can.

So, I'm open to suggestions and advice. Price is fairly open.

Thank you :)

I usually have my normal zebralight (white floody) on the front of my headband with a (plain glass) secondary/back-up on the back and rotate the headband when I want to use the other light in the back. This also helps to balance the lights on your head too. Perhaps your friend can have a normal white light on one side and the red light on the back and rotate the head band as needed?

Cursum Perficio

Newly Enlightened
I usually have my normal zebralight (white floody) on the front of my headband with a (plain glass) secondary/back-up on the back and rotate the headband when I want to use the other light in the back. This also helps to balance the lights on your head too. Perhaps your friend can have a normal white light on one side and the red light on the back and rotate the head band as needed?

Thank you for the idea, I will suggest that to her and see what she thinks.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try illumination gear. They have a PH10LC2 headlamp that can be ordered with a CREE XP-E red led.. That should work great for your friend.
You would need a second light on the rear of the headband for white light. Many dual colored headlamps use a little Nichia type red led that only shines a few feet for seeing close by objects. The XP-E red led with a reflector can shine much further. So if your friend is trying to navigate, the XP-E would be my recommendation.

Last edited:

Cursum Perficio

Newly Enlightened
Try illumination gear. They have a PH10LC2 headlamp that can be ordered with a CREE XP-E red led.. That should work great for your friend.
You would need a second light on the rear of the headband for white light. Many dual colored headlamps use a little Nichia type red led that only shines a few feet for seeing close by objects. The XP-E red led with a reflector can shine much further. So if your friend is trying to navigate, the XP-E would be my recommendation.

Lupine Blika

Beam comparisons
(drag & drop the thumbnails into the rectangles below)

Thank you both for your help, was not aware of either Lupine or the PH10LC2.

coffeecup66

Enlightened

Lupine Blika

Beam comparisons
(drag & drop the thumbnails into the rectangles below)

*** New for September 2020 *** : Lupine PENTA

Penta-2020-600-a04.jpg

Penta at 2:38.

Last edited: