Malkoff for duty use

xxRangerxx

Newly Enlightened
Looking to get one of the larger Malkoff's to carry on a duty belt. I've got a body guard that is great, but I want a high/low and something that doesn't click down in linens after 10 seconds. Would love to hear what you all would recommend? The hound dog looks like an obvious choice, but would the head be too late in diameter to carry comfortably?

Thanks and happy thanksgiving!

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Hound Dog is surprisingly compact for a large flashlight. It would be perfectly at home on a duty belt. If you're going to carry on your duty rig, I'd recommend the XML version with an MD4. With some well chosen batteries, it would be virtually indestructible.

The Hound Dog 18650 has the same head diameter, but rides on the shorter MD2 body. This might make it easier to get in and out of a vehicle while wearing it. Here's a comparison photo with the familiar Surefire 6P as a point of reference.

Comparison.jpg

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Over the m91t?

Choose the M91T if you want maximum lumens. If you prefer more run time, opt for the M61T, which is plenty bright. Both lights have the same color temperature, beam tint, and profile. These will have a narrow, throwy beam with a wide but dim spill.

The Hound Dog is larger, but has a more balanced beam with lots of throw but with brighter spill. You can also choose beam tint. It's all about preference.

If you hang out with us too much, you may end up with several.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Only because of runtime. The 91T is brighter and has more throw but only 30 minutes or so of run time. The M61T will go for 500 plus lumens for 2 hours.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found a couple of crappy iPhone photos. Wow, yeah, they look terrible. Please don't trust these images for color accuracy, but they show the difference in beam profile. The first picture is of the M61HOT, which, at the time, produced 500 lumens. Recently, all of these modules have gotten a bump in output, so this is roughly what you can expect from today's M61T. Note the intense hot spot and dim spill. Fence line at about 20 meters.

M61HOT.jpg

Same scene, but with the Hound Dog XML. Personally, I love the breadth of the beam. Great for situational awareness.

Hound-Dog-XML.jpg

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
M91T/MD3,M61 HOT/MD2 or M61T/MD2 with the high-low ring might be an option if you don't want larger head of the HD.
I've been using an M61T on an MD2 Body with two 18350s. It's noticably brighter on two cells on both High and Low. Of course you don't get the same runtime as a single 18650.
P

thermal guy

Flashaholic
In my MD2 running 18650 there was not a big deference at all between my M61 and M61T. I really wasn't happy. Oh it is more powerful and has more throw but not a huge difference. It was only till I put it in my MD3 that I saw a big improvement. Running off of 2-18500 or 3 primaries it stomped my M61.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
@thermal_guy, did you not also switch from a 16.5 bezel to a 22.3? Or was that someone else?

Yep that was me I first put the M61T in my 16.5 head as it was crenelated and really liked the looks of it.I was not impressed at all with it at all so I switched back to the 22.3 head to see if that would work any better. My thinking was that the larger opening would only give you more spill. Ya no! With the 22.3 head my throw increased quite a bit I was pretty shocked. So my set up is a MD3 with 2X18500 and the M61T in a 22.3 head.great outdoors light for me.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
There's a video I saw with a guy who takes a coin and places it directly over the reflector. Right in the middle and points it at the ceiling. You would think it would block out the whole beam but it didn't I basically had the same pattern just not as bright. Crazy. So guess the whole reflector really comes into play with throw.

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
I've carried a Hound Dog on a duty belt before and it was fine. I just used a belt loop. If it's uncomfortable to wear in the car you can always put it on top of your bag or wedge it next to the seat and just take it out when you get out of the car.

I do think it's a good idea to have a smaller size light on the belt at all times and a large one to grab when you need it though.

xxRangerxx

Newly Enlightened
I've carried a Hound Dog on a duty belt before and it was fine. I just used a belt loop. If it's uncomfortable to wear in the car you can always put it on top of your bag or wedge it next to the seat and just take it out when you get out of the car.

I do think it's a good idea to have a smaller size light on the belt at all times and a large one to grab when you need it though.

My thought was I would keep the bodyguard on my person as a backup and use the hound dog as you mentioned