MX-991/u style LED flashlight

RuLEoF2

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a vintage-style LED version of the MX-991/u? Not an upgraded original but an LED lookalike.

Tractor Supply Co. has a 6AA 400LM model. It's pretty much identical buts made of some kind of painted aluminum/zinc alloy and very heavy. The paint is also very fragile which is quite evident since most of the ones at the store are chipped. This is for my teenage son who will be actively using it on his (Boy) Scout adventures so I'm hoping to find one made of either anodized aluminum or plastic that would undoubtedly be far more durable.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

parametrek

Enlightened
Just to clarify:

• want a classic fulton
  • not "upgraded"
  • needs to use an LED
  • anodized aluminum or plastic

The obvious answer is to get the classic plastic version and put a $6 LED bulb upgrade in it. Why don't you want to do that? This isn't exactly a big area in the flashlight market and I don't think any of the clones will be more durable than the classic Fulton. I'm extremely surprised to see that someone even made a metal-bodied version of the light. ($15 JobSmart Green Aluminum Vintage Military Flashlight if anyone else is curious.) Funny that they call it Vintage though. Fulton still makes these and you can still buy them new :)

Why this particular style of light? There are much better options for an anglehead light if you like this general style. Better construction, smaller, brighter. Zebralight makes quite a few and is a favorite around here.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also don't understand why you are looking for a copy when you can get the real thing and put your own LED drop-in. The Nite Ize 55 lumen drop-in is a good one for this light, currently costs around $8. Get a couple of AA to D adapters and you can run AA Eneneloops (rechargeable) and Energizer Ultimate lithiums (best for extreme cold), as well as ordinary AA alkalines.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with them just get the original and a drop-in. I am not aware of any LED version different from the one you mentioned. Streamlight does make a very nice modern alternative in the Sidewinder that is smaller and incorporates 5MM color LEDs. I really like the Sidewinder but it is over $50 and there is a wide variety of other good lights in that price category.

RuLEoF2

Newly Enlightened
Sorry guys. I wasn't ignoring your replies. I just saw them. For some reason, I'm not getting email notifications from CPF.

Anyway... I'm not opposed to using a drop-in on an original Fulton. In fact, I'd prefer it but most of the ones I've seen are pretty dim. 100 lumens at best. I'm looking for at least 400 lumens.

The light is for my son. He's got a thing for military gear and super-bright flashlights. The MX-991/u is one of his favorites but it doesn't have the output that he wants.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elektro lumens does a higher lumen conversion of the old MX991, I don't have one, but here's a vid someone did on it:

I am not too sure how far the beam distance on these will be given the fairly shallow reflector.....these lights were intended for close range use. The "brightness" of a light is not just lumens but the beam distance (based on the candella or cd) and the beam pattern - sometimes high lumens can work against you if all ti does is create a wall of light or glare.

If you really need something with a long beam distance, maybe another more "throwy" light like the 3 cell ML25's (C cell single mode twisty), ML50 (C cell multimode), or ML300 (D cell multimode) might be better choices, though of course these are not angle head lights.

With the MX991 in the military they were usually more concerned with light discipline/using as little visible light as possible, usually with the red filter in place which probably about cuts the 5 lumens of the original bulb in about in half - even then we used to have to use these under a poncho to block this small amount of light when reading a map.