Recommendation please

sheltot

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,
I'm in the market for a new light and I think I've found the right group of people to ask. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Let me tell you what I need the light for and y'all can let me know what'll work best for me.

I'm an engineer working for an elevator company. For most purposes, my Mini Mag (2AA) works fine. The output of that light is sufficient for poking around in control cabinets, adjusting motor brakes and about anything close up. However, when looking down into the elevator pit (10-15 ft) or across machine rooms (20+ ft) that aren't wired yet, I need something with more oomph!

What has caught my eye is the Surefire Aviator and the Streamlight TT-2L. However, there is a significant price differnce.

BTW, while I say I want one light I can see getting more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif (I'm a knife knut also, and have more folders than I can really justify). But, I really just want to take one to jobsites.

Also, how do these critters take to being dropped?

TIA,
Tony

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
A mag AA is good for most of your uses you say. Hmmmm, this makes me wonder if An Arc4 on boost would cover those times that you need more light. Or perhaps waiting for the Surefire U2. These are not the longest throwing lights but if you are talking 20ft. These lights I think should do a find job. Just select the amount of light that you need.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
You were asking about the A2/SL 2L Twin-Task.

For rough and tumble, you can't beat the 2L SL for the money. The A2 has a bit more throw, but from the distances you describe, the TT will do fine. The 3 LEDs (from either) will give you enourmous run time for the close up stuff, and the Xenon will cover when you need throw.

The A2 is similiar, much more costly, and for work, I doubt you'd want to spend the bucks. I sure wouldn't want to drop an A2 down a shaft, and spend the day crying about it.

jdb2

Newly Enlightened
I have the 2L Twin-task and it's a great light. But I've just received two lights that you might consider, and which I think have better beams (I gave the 2L TT to my wife for her car, so she'd understand that I had to keep buying new ones).

The Pelican M6 LED has a remarkably smooth beam, with what seems to me to be a perfect balance between hotspot and side spill. It has a lifetime warranty, and I have read that the company is great about honoring it. (Their slogan is "You break it, we replace it...forever.") Kevin at batterystation.com has a great offer for CPF members on it, and he provides excellent service.

Another one to consider might be the Arc LSH. Most people on CPF seemingly have moved on to the Arc 4+, but I just responded to Arc's special offer and got a "foot in the door" package for $79. The light is small, well made, and has another well designed beam pattern. It has a 10 year warranty, and with an optional tube can use either CR123A or AA batteries.

There are so many other terrific lights that I've charged on my credit card in the past two months, I can't imagine ever relying on "just one more..." For example, the UK 4AA LED is a new one that received 5 stars on Quickbeam's site, but for my purposes, I like the Pelican M6 LED better. I hope you find a good one.

Jay

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Arc 4+ is small and easy to carry and very rugged. It will carry 20 feet. The Surefire L4 is small, rugged and shoots more of a flood. It can handle 20 feet, depending on the size of the details you need to see. The Surefire L6 is a very bright, rugged lone throw Luxeon. It will easily handle 20 feet, but it is bigger than the other two pocket lights.

I think you'll like a Luxeon light because of the high-quality, high-contrast beam, which makes details pop out. Luxeons also handle drops in stride.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
For 20 feet or so, the TT-2L in the incandescent mode will do fine. Why spend the money for an Arc or a SF A2 when it is not necessary?

Jerry

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello sheltot and welcome to the CPF. You've received good suggestions thus far. I agree with JerryM in that I would take a TT-2L over an SF A2 only because I don't have $175 to risk losing. However, you may want to see what an Arc beam is like because you may feel it's worth the $80 for an LSH. With the 2AA tailpiece you can use NiMH cells for "guilt-free-lumens." Probably try before you buy unless you'd just like to have an Arc - it's highly recommended here @ CPF.

sheltot

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all for your suggestions! I really like the A2 for because it looks "cool", and heaven knows I've bought other gizmos and gadgets for just that reason. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I think, however, I'll go with the TT-2L for the job. It's customary (in my industry anyway) to yell "headache" if you drop something down the shaft. If I dropped an A2, I don't think anyone would hear me through the crying.

I'll maybe get an A2 for less risky (for the light) tasks.

Tony

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Though I have 2 TT2L's and a TT3C, they just don't compare with my A2. It's the one light I can't do without.

The one light that might compare as far as usefulness is the Pelican M6 LED. It might be perfect for this use. About 4 hours run time, really bright white light.

Bill

Bill.H

Enlightened
I'll cast my vote with Jay (jdb2). I strongly agree with his selections, especially as the Arc special now includes the 2AA holder (cheaper batteries that are easily available). You hear nothing but wonderful things about the Pelican M6-LED, but, when the time came to put my own money down, I pre-ordered the Elektro Lumens XM2, just because it's got a 3W instead of the 1W LS in the M6. It was a tough choice as it's not out yet, so I don't know if it was the best one - it's going to be brighter than the M6 and Wayne makes "good stuff" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif so I think I'll be happy with my decision.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you want the light to handle a 40 foot drop without damage? If so, you need something that protects the tail switch. If the Arc LSH gets hit in the tail after a 40 ft drop, it will be kinda ugly!
Any ideas on lights that can handle the "headache" drop?

sheltot

Newly Enlightened
fleegs,
PM received and answered. Thanks.

BentHeadTX,
Oddly enough, I've been lucky enough not to drop anything down a hoistway (knock wood). I wouldn't really expect anything "normal" to survive such a fall undamaged. I was really more concerned to about dropping onto concrete from 4-5'.